A Friend In Need V 2.0

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
Aspide
Skilled

A Friend In Need V 2.0

Post by Aspide »

A Friend In Need V2.0

Game: Unreal and UT99 (all versions except pre 225 Unreal)
Developer: Aspide
Description: SP campaign for Unreal/UT99, three maps long.
Links:
Google Drive:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LVcU1k ... share_link
Unreal Archive:https://unrealarchive.org/mappacks/unre ... a3a2d.html

Story: You play as Stardust, a space marine and survivor of the UMS Bodega Bay. After the events of RTNP the marine had to survive Na Pali's natural hazards and the Skaarj for a long time, but one day the dangers of the planet finally caught up to the marine, but before dying a Nali appeared and saved the marine's life. Stardust and the Nali became close friends, the Nali, revealing his name as Inti, brought the marine to his village. Years passed and Stardust lived in peace, very rarely something threatened the village, but Stardust and Inti always found a way to solve the problem. One day the marine returned from some errands, only to find the village in distress, apparently some Kralls appeared out of nowhere and demanded to put all the Nali together or they will start killing civilians, then they inspected all the Nali and took one of them as a prisoner, that Nali was Inti. Stardust didn't hesitate and took off to rescue him....

Personal Notes: After finishing M:R 2.5 I decided to make a small sp campaign to get more mapping experience, I have to admit, it took me more time and effort that I could possibly imagined, however I have obtained so much experience that I'm actually very excited to continue making maps. I've been playing this game more than half of my life, and the majority of my time has been playing custom content, that includes sp campaigns, so after playing so many of them I learned what makes a good map, and a bad one, so I said “I may as well try”. One of the first sp campaigns I played was Hellscrag's Tashara's Cove, and I loved the simplicity beauty of it. This campaign was made as a spiritual successor of Tashara's Cove, there is actually a lot of similarities between the both.

Personal Notes (version 2.0): After one year since the release of this campaign I decided to come back and fix some things that I found very annoying, I was very disappointed on the original release because I accidentally made the campaign very difficult to install in UT99, I was unaware that using the content from RTNP would cause so many issues in UT99 so I decided to take all of that stuff and add it in a separate package, also I took the effort of making sure to make the campaign compatible with all versions of Unreal and UT99, in Unreal I made sure that all versions except pre-225 are compatible. The year long break was very important since I learned a lot about how to make custom content for Unreal/UT99, which allowed me to finally release this campaign the way I wanted a year ago....

I hope you enjoy it :D

ChangeLog

V 2.0 :

-All RTNP content is now in a separate package.
-New weapons work in UT99 online.
-Fixed a collision issue with destructible decorations.
-Reduce the size of some of the music files.
-Improved texture alignment, also some textures were replaced altogether.
-Fixed an invisible wall problem in map 01. Windmill was also fixed.
-In map 02 some decorations now don't have collision. BlockAll actors replaced by another actor to stop crashes in Unreal 225.
-The ghost nali scripted sequence in map 03 was improved. Also the final teleporter was replaced by another actor.
-The Coop credits map has a secret room with a bunch of dancing monsters, they were replaced by another actor that looks the same.
-The Cloak now protects you from falling damage, the effectiveness of this isn't the same when you compare Unreal and UT99.
-Added an optional mutator for Unreal 227, it allows the new items to have decals.
Last edited by Aspide on Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somewhere in Nevada...
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: A Friend In Need V 2.0

Post by esnesi »

Thanks a lot for still creating great new content and stories to enjoy online, much appreciated!
Locked and loaded on FFN!

Let me know on discord when we can do a more in-depth run through :)

Aspide
Skilled

Re: A Friend In Need V 2.0

Post by Aspide »

Hello everyone, thanks to Shrimp this sp campaign can now be downloaded in Unreal Archive, the original post has been updated :tu:
Somewhere in Nevada...