MH-MonsterArena

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Diablo
Experienced
Personal rank: world's worst mapper

MH-MonsterArena

Post by Diablo »

OK, so I'm a huge Monster Hunt fan, and after reading some README files, I made my first MH map. Presenting...
MH-MonsterArena
mhfull.png
It's just me trying out a whole bunch of random brushes, and adding monsters. There are tons of issues with it though, like the fact that bot support is trash because the stairs are too big for them to cross (it looked fine in the editor), and that the Titans may kill the lower-end monsters (like the Slith & the Krall, before the players have an opportunity to kill them). The map can be finished just fine tho.
MH-MonsterArena.zip
(5.72 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." -Xan Kriegor, 2341.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: MH-MonsterArena

Post by EvilGrins »

Haven't look at it yet (just got home from visiting family for XMAS) but with such a small area (though I suspect that's not the whole map) bots should be fine insofar as that room there.

Are the weapons in a different room?

As not everyone has the mutators that prevent monsters from fighting each other, usually a good idea not to mix monsters of different types in the same area... as they tend to kill each other.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Diablo
Experienced
Personal rank: world's worst mapper

Post by Diablo »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:11 pm Haven't look at it yet (just got home from visiting family for XMAS) but with such a small area (though I suspect that's not the whole map) bots should be fine insofar as that room there.

Are the weapons in a different room?

As not everyone has the mutators that prevent monsters from fighting each other, usually a good idea not to mix monsters of different types in the same area... as they tend to kill each other.
There's only 1 weapon: the flak cannon in the spawnroom
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." -Xan Kriegor, 2341.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I was distracted here...
Diablo wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:56 am the fact that bot support is trash because the stairs are too big for them to cross (it looked fine in the editor)
Let's say that this is not very closer to reality.
In a scenario where are added 11 PathNodes, we can have the stage:
MA_TheHowTo.PNG
It's about 111 ReachSpecs...

Code: Select all

XC_Counter: Total ReachSpecs found = 111
XC_Counter: Looking for properties...
XC_Counter: Map has 53 normal paths and 58 pruned paths.
Where boys and girls are moving like here...
Wrong_Difficulty.png
when Hard-Core difficulty is used and I don't go lower.

The rest of play story.
Bots are not needed and neither weapons - you can read this again.
My daughter recommended me to quickly jump into arena and dodging to the exit - all "hunting" activity ended under 1 minute. Daughter was right (11 years old)... :lol2:

Why not using Bots or whatever ?
#1 They only distract Monsters and you need to be quiet and fast.
#2 There are big chances to get telefragged right in first second. This is pretty much annoying.
#3 It's really easy - I don't want to share kills here with "anybody" - else killing something here is optional, map can be ended without much effort.