UT99 TriggerLight that specifically acts (not triggered by) when more than one given animated texture is set to 'on'.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: UT99 TriggerLight that specifically acts (not triggered by) when more than one given animated texture is set to 'on'

Post by Red_Fist »

Was just reading that mover lighting problem.

If you make a box out side the map and put a light in it.
Set the brushraytrace, and set it to the frame with all the light

So you set the light box at key 1, but !!!, keep it in it's box outside the map and let it go back to zero key frame when the map starts., no shadows because it isn't calculated at that spot. and it will be the right brightness .
Binary Space Partitioning
R3plicant
Experienced

Re: UT99 TriggerLight that specifically acts (not triggered by) when more than one given animated texture is set to 'on'

Post by R3plicant »

Hi again, so I've read all your comments and realised that I couldn't do it so decided to compromise.

There's no alternating texture on the rear of the monitor (where the light-on/texture-on would have been), it's just a static texture.

The Property Flipper had no tutorials on how to set it up exactly to my requirements so that was quickly (and unfortunately) dismissed, looking at other examples didn't explain to me how it did what it did.

In my map, the light and the texture had to sync PERFECTLY in a TriggerControl configuration: As long as there was an enemy on the base, it had to be functioning perfectly and in sync,. light/texture, all the time the enemy was present.

Instead, what I did was make sure that the monitor's textures only alternated on the front monitor (remember, the monitor was 2-sided, front and back) where emanating light that alternated in brightness wasn't a necessity. It's a compromise I'm happy with. I backed up my compromised set up with some lights and sounds,. though they are merely an alarm, not a 'always on' solution, except the front-monitor alternating texture does help those outside the map know there's an enemy on the base.

Thank you for all your time and input, but I felt I couldn't achieve what I wanted/needed with the info I was given, some of it was inaccurate/misguided, some of it was so close to being right but I couldn't work it properly; I never was a technically gifted mapper. I can make a cake but can't tell you how all the ingredients that come together actually (chemically) MAKE the cake what it is, make sense? :)

The map is nearing completion and I honestly can't wait to show it off to you all, it really does look and perform much better than the 2018 version. It will be released within the coming weeks if all goes well in the final stages. I'll post plenty of screenshots and might, MIGHT make a video of it too (screenshots on their own wouldn't do it justice, if I say so myself).
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

There is always something,,while mapping, then another thing then another.
Just read the script in the property flipper, it's very easy to use, and can do things that otherwise takes many steps or cannot be done without it, or quick fixes.

:tu:
Binary Space Partitioning