What's the first CTF map ever created?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Diablo
Experienced
Personal rank: world's worst mapper

What's the first CTF map ever created?

Post by Diablo »

Does anyone know what was the first CTF map that Epic made for UT?

I'm pretty sure it was Coret cuz it has all the traits of an early map, having the uDamage, forgotten pickups like the Clip, and being included in the demo.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." -Xan Kriegor, 2341.
TankBeef
Masterful

Re: What's the first CTF map ever created?

Post by TankBeef »

Although I do not know the answer to your question, I can tell you where the Capture the Flag mode originated from. It is Quake related, so I hope this does not derail this or make it off-topic, but I think it is good to know some history.
https://www.quakewiki.net/profile-retro ... id-kirsch/
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

negative, that CTF Coret was actually one of the newer maps (introduced nearly halfway through 1999 but still originally with some unreal items), the original ctf coret being older and completely different. The earliest map from the betas of UT is actually CTF-Crucible, dating to 8th November 1998 as the last save date, with CTF Face being the closest second (but not being the earliest version of ctf face, so from released maps, it is ctf face that is the earliest)...

The oldest ctf face we have is from 10th december 1998. But its not the earliest even acording to Inoxx himself.

Automatically merged

Also worth noting is that when it comes to Unreal's developement, there was a unique ctf variant that was meant to be included and was still with some pre-release later versions, called KTC. The big leaked version comes unfortunately before this mode was completed and the most code is from the sample modified unreali.u file from march 1998 by the emissary game team.

And we do know what the first map created for that was given a screenshot in a magazine. It was Morbias and Morbfanza. Yes. Morbias had a defacto ctf variant. This is why the released version of Morbias has a red and blue side, while the beta version of the map had neutral lighting (from the early leak). This is because they took the ctf(or ktc) version as the base instead. Probably because that version looked cooler.

So in the end the answer is not so simple but comes down to Morbias and Face strangely enough.

In another context if someone told you DmMorbias or DM-Morbias]{ as the answer you'd probably think it was a joke or a troll, but really, that was the first modified dm map to be included in a ctf setting.
Dennis
Average

Post by Dennis »

TankBeef wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:26 pm Although I do not know the answer to your question, I can tell you where the Capture the Flag mode originated from. It is Quake related, so I hope this does not derail this or make it off-topic, but I think it is good to know some history.
https://www.quakewiki.net/profile-retro ... id-kirsch/
Not true about its origin. It is thousands of years old but introduced as videogame back in 1983 it was one of my first games ever on my vic-20: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_t ... ideo_game)
Fraggers hangout place: http://fraggers.online/
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I think he meant in a FPS. But afaik there was a similar mode in the Rise of the Triad or something which was basically a twist on ctf.

There were multiple ctf mods for quake, some of them used improvised settings, but the variant most people remember is the threewave ctf mod which the guy who made it got hired later into id software. And it introduced the specific capture the flag maps as opposed to playing on deathmatch and other maps.