transferring skins??

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
Tempura
Average
Personal rank: Shock Enthusiast

transferring skins??

Post by Tempura »

So a while ago i posted a thread about stuff and i ended up with this nifty warlord model by Dirk. Got it off Medor site. Its cool, however, it has a problem.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /image.png

Its very purple.

I have another model, author unknown, also pulled off from medor site (or was it utfiles?)

This guy has a decent skin, however, he has no carcass. Aka, when killed he just poofs, no animations whatsoevs.

There are two ways to go about this:

A), i figure out how to copy warlord #2 skin over to purple warlord
b) i figure out how to give warlord #1 a carcass. Which Purple warlord #2 has.

Automatically merged

I forgot to ask the question oops

How can i copy skins? i assume thats easier than trying to mess with scripts and carcasses.

To my knowledge, neither have team skins. which is fine, as i dont do enough team games to worry whether or not that warlord is on my side or not.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: transferring skins??

Post by OjitroC »

Tempura wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:29 am
How can i copy skins? i assume thats easier than trying to mess with scripts and carcasses.
No, giving it a carcass is the easy bit.

In the Editor, open up the Actor Browser, then go to the open icon, find and open ALIEN_Warlord.u. In the Actor Tree, it will be under Pawn -> Bot and -> Player.

Open up the default properties for both (by clicking the icon at the top of the Browser) and go to Pawn in the properties.

In the Actor tree, go to Decoration -> Carcass -> CreatureCarcass and you should see WarlordCarcass - highlight this.

Go back to the default property boxes for the Player and the Bot and find CarcassType under Pawn. In the CarcassType line, click on Use - it won't be immediately visible but click towards the end of the line and it should appear. Clicking on Use should result in WarLordCarcass appearing in the line.

In the list of packages below the Actor Tree, tick the box against ALIEN_Warlord and hit the save icon (a disc) at the top of the Actor Browser.

Check in your System folder to see that a new ALIEN_Warlord.u has been saved.

The skin is more complex as it requires either recompiling the .u package and importing the required skin or making a .utx file with the required skin (and possibly adding new code to the .u package).
Tempura
Average

Post by Tempura »

Editor being UnrealEd.exe? From what i saw it looked like a map maker..
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Tempura wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:41 pm Editor being UnrealEd.exe? From what i saw it looked like a map maker..
If you just see UnrealEd as a "map maker" you have not the slightest idea of how powerful it is. :noidea
I will leave you some homework, and come back later...
Tempura
Average

Post by Tempura »

hmm so from the looks of it, i followed your instructions. However, im confused, 'Tick the box'?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Tempura wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:41 pm Editor being UnrealEd.exe? From what i saw it looked like a map maker..
Yes that's the one.

The best thing you can do is to open it up and explore all the browsers. Open the Actor browser and familiarise yourself with the actor tree - try and find the Warlord ScriptedPawn - look at the default properties. Find the TournamentPlayer and the Bot - explore those.

Open the Mesh Browser - find the default model meshes like Soldier or Commando - run through the animations.

Open the Texture Browser and open some skin .utx files - look at the structure and form of those skin files.

Explore the Editor and become familiar with it. Much of the discussion on this forum will assume a basic knowledge of the structure, form, functions and content of the Editor.
Tempura
Average

Post by Tempura »

So i was able to edit this. I then saved, but in game he still has no carcass.

Automatically merged

And by saved, i saved via the little file button in the actor browser. I then reopened the file to check to see if it saved, but it did not.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

In the menu bar at the top of the Actor Browser, go to File and click 'ShowPackages'. You should now see a list of open packages at the bottom of the Browser - against each package will be a tick box - click on the box agains the Warlord (BUT ONLY on that one) and hit the save icon. The package should now be saved. Check in the System folder that the file modified date/time is now the current date/time.
Tempura
Average

Post by Tempura »

Hmm ok so it did save, but its still not working. You mention finding both bot and player in your instructions, yet i found no player. i did find bot tho

*Not working for the player, but for bots yes
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Tempura wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:05 pm Hmm ok so it did save, but its still not working. You mention finding both bot and player in your instructions, yet i found no player. i did find bot tho

*Not working for the player, but for bots yes
The ALIEN_Warlord player can be found under Pawn -> PlayerPawn ->TournamentPlayer -> TournamentMale.

Do the same as you did for the Bot and save the package again. It should now work.

Like I say, explore the Actor Tree - look at the various classes and child classes so you get an idea of the structure and contents of the classes. Over time it will start to become familiar.
Tempura
Average

Post by Tempura »

So it works now thanks.
Ive got two more questions

Sometimes the warlord goes into a standing pose when is killed. Im guessing the warlord itself doesnt have enough animations for ut99? Im prob wrong about that. There a way i can fix?

In game ive set my voice to be skaarj hybrid, but he sounds like male 1. How would i go about fixing that? When i was messing with unreal ED i did notice something related to voice but it was something along the lines of "botpack" but i dont understand what that means, let alone know how to change it.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Tempura wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:41 pm Sometimes the warlord goes into a standing pose when is killed. Im guessing the warlord itself doesnt have enough animations for ut99? Im prob wrong about that. There a way i can fix?
It looks like it could be animation sequence Death11 - which is not a death anim at all but is basically the Warlord standing up straight and twirling his gun.

You're right that the Warlord doesn't have enough animations for a TournamentPlayer or Bot so some of the Warlord's animation sequences have been reused several times for different sequences and so are the same (like, for example, Death1, Death2 etc - these are all the same - there are others as well).

It can be fixed by rewriting the function that calls the 'faulty' animation sequence. However to do that we need to know which function it is - is there any indication in the log of a ScriptWarning or other log entry to do with this?
Tempura wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:41 pm In game ive set my voice to be skaarj hybrid, but he sounds like male 1. How would i go about fixing that? When i was messing with unreal ED i did notice something related to voice but it was something along the lines of "botpack" but i dont understand what that means, let alone know how to change it.
Where and how have you set the voice? What voice have you set it to (precisely, that is packagename.classname)?

If it's MultiMesh.SkaarjVoice - open up your UserIni and at the top under [DefaultPlayer] put that after Voice= - so that it reads Voice=Multimesh.SkaarjVoice - save the ini and see what happens in-game.
Tempura
Average

Post by Tempura »

skimmed through the log, did not find any.

Regarding voice, i set it in the player setup in game, and its the default skaarj hybrid voice. dunno its full name.
Attachments
UnrealTournament - Copy.txt
(93.52 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

No, nothing in the log about the animations.

The Voice Pack is UTPS2Characters.DominatorVoice. This works fine for me - tried using my normal model and then using the ALIEN_WarLord model - everything fine (though the number of sounds is limited but that's OK).

Do you mean the sounds the Player makes when landing, hurt, dying etc? In the ALIEN_WarLord Player those are all Botpack.MaleSounds - so, yes, it does sound like the Male1 in that respect.

If you want to change them - open up UED, open ALIEN_Warlord (first try the Player under Pawn -> PlayerPawn -> TournamentPlayer -> TournamentMale). Open the defaultproperties and go to Sounds at the bottom - click on the + and you will see a load of sounds like breathagain Sound'Botpack.MaleSounds.(All).gasp02', etc.

Each of these sounds can be replaced. Open the Sound Browser -> open the first dropdown list and you will see, amongst otthers, UnrealI and UnrealShare. Go to UnrealI and open the dropdown list that starts with BioRifle -> at the bottom of the list you will see Warlord.

Let's assume you want to change the Die sound in ALIEN_WarLord to the Warlord's deathcry - so in the Sound Browser, under Warlord, highlight 'DeathCry1WL' and then in the ALIEN_Warlord's default properties under Sounds, opposite Die click on Use and you should see 'Sound'UnrealI.WarLord.DeathCry1WL' appear on that line.

You can change as many of the Warlord's sounds to whatever sounds you want using this method - you can play the sounds by double clicking on them or by hitting the play button at the top of the Browser. When finished, tick the box for the ALIEN_Warlord at the bottom of the Actor Browser and hit save.

Do the same for the Warlord Bot.

Check out some of the other sounds in the drop down lists in the Sound Browser. You could use some normal Skaarj sounds instead of Warlord sounds if you want to - in fact, you can use whatever sounds you want (unless they are looping sounds of course).
Tempura
Average

Post by Tempura »

Alrighty, coolio.
Final question, do you know why his wings are translucent? Is it a engine limitation?