DM-Crossfire

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Diablo
Experienced
Personal rank: world's worst mapper

DM-Crossfire

Post by Diablo »

After DM-Giza (my previous map), was dismissed by sektor2111 as complete shovelware, I've spent a good chunk of my time making my next one.
crossfire.png
Presenting...DM-Crossfire
Just another arena map, but this time with absolutely no bugs. The map takes its name from the bullets coming in from all 4 directions.
By the way, notice that I placed the weapons in their own color coded zones. The Pulse Gun is in green, the shock rifle is in blue, the flak cannon is in yellow, and the RL is in red.
And I've chosen a name that isn't generic, its the only Crossfire. There was something called CrossfireArena...but no one should confuse it with mine.
Have fun!!! :D
--- Play Information ---
Game : Unreal Tournament
Level Name : DM-Crossfire
New Sounds : No
New Graphics : No
New Music: : No
Known bugs : None.
Player Count : 2-4 Players

--- Construction ---
Editor(s) used : UnrealEd v469
Construction Time : 2 days.

Installation
------------
Unzip "DM-Crossfire.unr" into the UnrealTournament/Maps subdir.
DM-Crossfire.zip
(77.79 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by Diablo on Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." -Xan Kriegor, 2341.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: DM-Crossfire

Post by OjitroC »

Nice to see a new map from you :gj:

I may have said it before but if not I'll say it now - never say a map has no bugs
Spoiler
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot27
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot28
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot29
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot30
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot31
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot32
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot33
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot34
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot35
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot36
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot37
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot38
ItemsCheck: Checked InventorySpots. Found 12 empty InventorySpots.
It looks to me as though the pathnetwork hasn't been built or rebuilt after changing the inventory. Rebuilding the network gets rid of the empty InventorySpots.
Diablo
Experienced
Personal rank: world's worst mapper

Post by Diablo »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:19 pm Nice to see a new map from you :gj:

I may have said it before but if not I'll say it now - never say a map has no bugs
Spoiler
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot27
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot28
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot29
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot30
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot31
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot32
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot33
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot34
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot35
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot36
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot37
ScriptLog: No roaming goal at InventorySpot38
ItemsCheck: Checked InventorySpots. Found 12 empty InventorySpots.
It looks to me as though the pathnetwork hasn't been built or rebuilt after changing the inventory. Rebuilding the network gets rid of the empty InventorySpots.
I should definitely do that.
By the way, it technically has no bugs cuz it works just fine.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." -Xan Kriegor, 2341.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Saying a map has " no bugs" :lol2: is challenging anyone to find them. And believe me, they will. They all have them. Even the best ones. There is no absolutely perfect map.
But that is good. It is an opportunity to make your map better. :D
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Diablo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:21 pm By the way, it technically has no bugs cuz it works just fine.
Actually "it technically has bugs but it works just fine" is more accurate. An empty InventorySpot is a 'bug' and may or may not be a bug. The fact that there are empty InventorySpots has no practical implications in this size/form of map - which is not to say that empy InventorySpots may not have an impact in another map.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Diablo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:32 pm After DM-Giza (my previous map), was dismissed by sektor2111 as complete shovelware,
Not me because I did not do DM-Giza which was already made before, and which now I'm using it a lot and the other DM-ManorFarm (a reconstructed Edit)...
Just another arena map, but this time with absolutely no bugs.
What did you use for checking it ? :?: Maybe you can describe how do you do so called "mapping" task...

A "picture" From another angle.
If it comes to my DeathMatch parties, my Bots used are some sort of MBots. If memory doesn't cheat me, such a Bot is capable to find all sort of desired items that are in map more or less linked into network. Why MBot has this "option" ? Just because Bot itself might want a thrown weapon previously held by another player killed outside of sight, and being poorly written original Bot won't do that unless its desired route is passing later nearby "thrown weapon". Using quotes because this map has such sort of thrown weapons, more specific not declared for being picked up from a long range.
PathsChecker won't report anything because items can be found normally as other actors (Flags, MonsterWayPoint, MonsterEnd, etc) but not as inventories for stock Bots. Technically the nearest navigation point to these goals has normal paths and then... MBot has no big problems.

Edit: Sampling something purified - by the way, 3 Textures not seen were referenced at surfaces from BSP and have been removed because these references have no purpose.
DM-Crossfire_rS32.7z
(66.74 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
In current stage 32 normal paths are enough for "A.I." Player... I did not wrapped network with Inventories first - I think here this optimization is not needed, network is simple and has already a fast response.

As for topic check stage.
I have some reason to look at such pieces, disregarding if are screwed or are good, I collect them for some reason which I'll explain another time...