custom .umx files not playing in-game

Search and find cool Voicepacks, Sounds and Music or show us your own ones!
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

custom .umx files not playing in-game

Post by fudgonaut »

I open unrealed 2.2 and import three tracks (.it format) into the editor through the Music browser.
I name the packages, save the .umx files.
step1.png
step1.png (8.25 KiB) Viewed 634 times

I click play in Music browser, each song plays correctly.
step2.png
step2.png (8.22 KiB) Viewed 634 times

I go to Level Properties and assign the songs to the maps. Save the maps, play the maps.
step3.png
step3.png (10.53 KiB) Viewed 634 times

RESULT:
In-game, only one song is audible. The other two do not play. I've tried other .umx songs in these maps, which plays fine so it's unlikely the maps are the issue.
I have checked the two 'non-working' .umx files in ModPlug Tracker and Modplug Player, they play fine
Any thoughs on why .it tracks converted to .umx would not be playing in-game -- even tough they play in-editor?
Buggie
Godlike

Re: custom .umx files not playing in-game

Post by Buggie »

Need look at log.
And possible attach mentioned .umx files here.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Do they all have the correct codec (PCM S16 LE (araw)) and sample rate (44100Hz) and bits (16)?

I have had sounds that will play in the editor but not in game - usually this is due to one of those parameters being incorrect.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Solution: 1 UMX file per map.
If you want multiple music tracks you need to make a multi-mod.
Unreal soundtrack uses this so you can have music for action and music for tension.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Dr.Flay wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:52 am Solution: 1 UMX file per map.
If you want multiple music tracks you need to make a multi-mod.
There's something in mapping called a "MusicEvent" where it activates music when you either enter a different area or complete a certain stage.

A number of MonsterHunt maps use them, some I've edited have them. They're designed for having more than 1 track on a map.
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzClip0003.png
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzClip0003.png (7.56 KiB) Viewed 592 times
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I would just note that LevelInfo->Audio->Song only permits the assigning of one 'song' - in 469 or in 436.

I'm curious how you get this
step3.png
step3.png (10.53 KiB) Viewed 581 times
The music file should be in the Song box and SongSection should be 0 with a slider to alter the number.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Press near Song for expand it.
Select line with Name None.
Press dropdown on right side.

On screen visible dropdown over window. SongSection is still 0. Dropdown just close it. 
Auto merged new post submitted 1 minute later
MusicEvent bugged.

https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... issues/460
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Buggie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:38 am Press near Song for expand it.
Select line with Name None.
Press dropdown on right side.

On screen visible dropdown over window. SongSection is still 0. Dropdown just close it.
That doesn't work for me - no dropdown on the right side for the line None.

But if Song=None and then below Song=25AC_Phobus, presumably the audio/song info for the map is read as None?

Certainly trying to expand the Song info doesn't work in 436 - if it works in 469 then how would the Song info be read in 436? Presumably only one song would play anyway?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

On v469c it appear. Need select line with None first.

It is just open dropdown - nothing selected yet. Also after selection made, dropdown can't be called, until field again not cleared to None.

It always one Song. It is just open dropdown. For select one from it.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Buggie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:28 pm On v469c it appear. Need select line with None first.
No, can't get that to work in my 469c (not that that matters really) - no dropdown box appears no matter where I click on that None line (with a music file highlighted in the Music Browser of course).

Not sure what the point of the dropdown box is? If the music one wants to use is 'current' (highlighted) in the Music Browser then surely one just clicks on Use in Song and the music is assigned (in the same way that one does with a sound for example)?

But we come back to the OP's issue - which is likely to be to do with the .umx files more than anything else.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Apologies for any confusion: I'm not trying to assign multiple .umx files to a single map. I have three maps, and three .umx files I generated by importing three .it files. One song per map.

Only one of the three .umx files plays when I assign it to a map. I'm stumbling my way through OpenMPT to see if I can re-save the two problematic .it files in a way that UnrealEd will digest. So far no luck.

I'm trying to avoid converting .it -> .mp3 -> .umx because the file sizes are huge in comparison. The .it file that successfully imported resulted in a .umx that's only 432kb
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Post problem .umx files here. 
Auto merged new post submitted 4 minutes later
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I expect the OP doesn't want to make the music for those maps public yet - post the files here and they are 'out in the wild' and could be used in any map.

No dropdown box for me in 469c - possibly down to the version of Windows in my Wine wrapper?

Stil not sure why the dropdown box is needed - if it was me, I'd open the music in the MusicBrowser, open the map, go to Audio in LevelInfo, go to Song, click on Use and the music file would appear there. Just as easy, just as quick?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Author can use PM if want.

I not even know about this dropbox. But yes, it look as more simple way.

I always feel uncomfortable use second window for make input in another.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:21 pm I expect the OP doesn't want to make the music for those maps public yet - post the files here and they are 'out in the wild' and could be used in any map.
This is true. I spent dozens of hours previewing thousands of songs from Mod Archive to come up with a short list of what I consider to be exceptional tracks (seriously, listen to the track for CTF-Panamax, not the best map but the music kicks ass). When I release a map anybody can pull that song and use it. But until then, I'm keeping my cards close to my chest.

OjitroC wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:21 pm Stil not sure why the dropdown box is needed - if it was me, I'd open the music in the MusicBrowser, open the map, go to Audio in LevelInfo, go to Song, click on Use and the music file would appear there. Just as easy, just as quick?
UPDATE
On a whim I decided to try to import one of the original .it songs again - and it worked - following the steps you mentioned... I think.
So I wen't back to add the remaining .it song to the remaining map, and it failed.
I tried a few more times, until I succeeded.

I strongly suspect the error is in the interface. That is, you have to click/select/save interface items in a very precise order. Any deviation from — or attempted correction of — those steps results in the error.

I will attempt to capture steps to reproduce successful import (and failure). If I'm able to isolate the issue I'll log the bug in Github (I'm on 469d, test145)

At least my maps have music now. Which is great, because in one case it's the difference between 927kb (.it) and 23mb (.mp3)