custom .umx files not playing in-game

Search and find cool Voicepacks, Sounds and Music or show us your own ones!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: custom .umx files not playing in-game

Post by OjitroC »

fudgonaut wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:20 pm On a whim I decided to try to import one of the original .it songs again - and it worked - following the steps you mentioned... I think.
So I wen't back to add the remaining .it song to the remaining map, and it failed.
I tried a few more times, until I succeeded.

I strongly suspect the error is in the interface.
Could be though I thought your issue was not that the music couldn't be assigned to LevelInfo->Audio->Song in the Editor but that the music wouldn't play in-game?

Certainly if a very precise set of steps is needed in 469d to assign music and any deviation from that set of steps results in errors, then I would say there is indeed an issue with the interface in that version. In 436 and 469c, everything is very straightforward and easy (if you have a problem in 469d, use 436 to assign music or sounds - that's what I had to do until the issue of the failure to assign sounds with group names enclosed with ( ) was solved in 469c - there is still an issue with odd group names with [ ] or other characters).
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

You can use exact same way as before and it work same.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I used this for my last map with music and it worked great. Not sure if that helps with the problem.
https://bunnytrack.net/umx-converter/
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

That's a handy utility, though resulting .umx files can be pretty big. I'm trying to save megabytes on music... so I can spend them all on textures :mrgreen:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

OK people, you can stop suggesting ways to change normal audio files into tracker files.
This is an issue with importing real old fashioned tracker modules, which should be no problem.

You may find that the tracker files are compressed or non-standard, so I would suggest importing and exporting with Open ModPlugTracker.
Make sure the IT export is just set to standard options.
You could also try exporting as a different tracker format and see if that fixes it.

I would suggest that submitting a bug report will be of no use if you won't share links to the problem files.
If you were the author of the music I would understand this, but your are having issues with publicly available files.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Is there a tutorial for using ModPlug for converting .mp3s to .UMX files?
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:33 pm Is there a tutorial for using ModPlug for converting .mp3s to .UMX files?
ModPlug tutorial
openMPT tutorial