CTFM-UTDMT-HighlandCastle

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

CTFM-UTDMT-HighlandCastle

Post by EvilGrins »

Most maps made by mappers that have UTDMT on them tend to have them in a relatively corralled area so they don't have full access to the whole map, which I don't tend to do but sometimes it can be ideal even for me.

What we have here is a fairly large map with 2 levels above ground and a couple more levels below. It's CTF4 and each base is in the corners of the layout, with a courtyard outside that has a UTDMT in it.

Nelsona enhanced the pathing on the map and also used Monster-Pathing on the Titans so they work a regular patrol of their respective courtyards. Which is somewhat like a bouncy house anytime a Titan slams its fists into the ground everyone nearby gets launched up into the air.

For the most part this is fairly standard CTF, with 4 teams, but sometimes the UTDMT add a mixed bit of complexity:
CTF4 & MultiCTF both have an option that some players, myself included, love where if someone takes your flag and they drop it, you have to go get it and bring it back to your own base... and sometimes when this happens, a Titan gets their own team's flag. For a host of reasons, the Titan doesn't give up the flag (both as it doesn't know how to and as it can't fit in the room where the flag is supposed to be) which brings about a complicated situation.

On the one hand, your flag is as safe as can be while a Titan has it. It takes multiple redeemer hits to kill the thing, or an excessive amount of firepower; not like anybody can get it away from a Titan quick. But, on the other hand, if you get an enemy flag back to your base you can't score by tagging the Titan that has the flag.

It's both a blessing & a curse.

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/j1mwa0jm ... Castle.zip

Usual Suspects
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.png - Pwetty!

If you don't have any of the CTF4 gametypes...
https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/169182.html
...you can get them there.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: CTFM-UTDMT-HighlandCastle

Post by OjitroC »

It's probably a good idea to include Buggie's FIxMonsterTeam mutator in the download zip - without it the opposing Team Titans won't attack players/bots in 469c.

It's also probably a good idea not to set the GameType as MultiCTF as anyone using CTF4 will find loads of warnings in the log about the flags. Setting the GameType as CTF should mean that either of the mutli-CTF mutators/gametypes should work without issues.

For some reason there are 4 LevelInfo in the map - 3 of these can be safely deleted.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:08 amIt's probably a good idea to include Buggie's FIxMonsterTeam mutator in the download zip - without it the opposing Team Titans won't attack players/bots in 469c.
I thought that had been resolved, that it was no longer an issue.

I'm never getting that patch.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:45 pm
OjitroC wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:08 amIt's probably a good idea to include Buggie's FIxMonsterTeam mutator in the download zip - without it the opposing Team Titans won't attack players/bots in 469c.
I thought that had been resolved, that it was no longer an issue.
It's been resolved by Buggie producing that mutator.

No idea what other people's experience is but for me (as I've indicated in recent threads) sometimes the various UTDM ScrptedPawns work OK without the mutator and sometimes they don't - no idea why. In this map none of the Titans will attack me when I'm on red - in the recent UTDMS Cola Wars, the Blue Skaarj will attack me, in the edit of that map with the Warlords, the Blue Warlord won't attack and so on.

I did think that everything worked OK in 469c but that's obviously not the case as I have now come to realise.

So I suggest that it would be a good idea to include Buggie's mutator in future zips for maps with the various UTDM pawns just so people are able to play them without any issues.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:46 pmSo I suggest that it would be a good idea to include Buggie's mutator in future zips for maps with the various UTDM pawns just so people are able to play them without any issues.
Or I can get more in the face of those working on that patch to finally fix this glitch in it. Because this shouldn't require something extra to compensate for something that wasn't broken at all before they made this patch.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:39 pm
OjitroC wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:46 pmSo I suggest that it would be a good idea to include Buggie's mutator in future zips for maps with the various UTDM pawns just so people are able to play them without any issues.
Or I can get more in the face of those working on that patch to finally fix this glitch in it. Because this shouldn't require something extra to compensate for something that wasn't broken at all before they made this patch.
Indeed - but since that could be months then in the meantiime distribution of Buggie's mutator would remove any issues?

One thing though - the issue seems to be related more to specific maps than to an issue overall in 469c - see my comments in this thread 141149#p141149
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:20 pm the issue seems to be related more to specific maps than to an issue overall in 469c
Really ?
I think 469b - 469c take variable name "as essential" instead of type and its place. One thing is INT TEAM, the other is BYTE TEAM, in a programming logic, me personally I think this is not a solution to mix byte with int just because they are called identically "TEAM".
ScriptedPawn uses Team as INT, Monster uses Team as BYTE. 436 has no issues here, both are listed in separate fields - Why dealing with them like they are the same ? And here I want to read a smart answer not hilarious explanations. More to come, 20 years these were not issues and now they were turned into issues which in past years nobody was able to predict them - they worked. A new patch claims that maps that were previously working, now are found suddenly flawed.
With all respect I don't see anything logic toward this deal.

Edit: I edited both variables to "1" and I see a log snippet - to me makes no sense...

Code: Select all

Warning: Type mismatch in Team of UTDMT: file 2, class 1
Warning: Skipping 4 bytes of type 2
Warning: Type mismatch in Team of UTDMT: file 2, class 1
Warning: Skipping 4 bytes of type 2
What type mismatch ? Both vars are separate things, both of them are there, nothing deleted.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:20 pm
OjitroC wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:20 pm the issue seems to be related more to specific maps than to an issue overall in 469c
Really ?
I think that's a reasonable conclusion based on my experience - in some maps the UTDM ScriptedPawns attack me and in other maps they don't. But ... (there's often a but)

... I have missed a pattern in those maps. So my conclusion is correct in a very general or broad sense - the issue is present only in certain maps - more specifically, neither the DM Titan nor the DM Warlord attack me whilst the DM SkaarjBerserker does attack me. So the issue would seem to be related to specific UTDM Pawns or, more particularly, to the way UT 469c handles the code for those two UTDM types that don't attack the opposing team.

A comparison between the code for the Warlord and the Berserker may point to the reason for the different behaviour?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

How about reporting this bug?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I think it was reported, and here is my guessing... in 469c some script executions are different wrapped... and somewhere there is a small piece that has to be rewritten. Here, what I see is "two" variables not "one". Assigning "Team" for "PlayerReplicationInfo.Team" would not be compiled if there would be INT, but in this case suddenly we do have a claimed mismatch, already compiled, execution reporting an error which to me is not on its place.
If a class has a variable, it should be in account in front of parent. Parent class should enter in stage if child class is not using such variable/function - you need to find it elsewhere - up to "Object" class. To me it looks like here is a reversal activity, hunting variable in parent in front of child - and we speak about similar named variables but they are different types so they should work different not mixed - INT is not BYTE and BYTE is not INT - such a mix would not be compiled in any 436-451 version.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:56 pm How about reporting this bug?
I have, did a thing on the discord for it and I've complained about it a few times on different forums including the one that was announced as the official producer of the patch.

Patch hasn't been finalized, I'm hoping before it is that they fix this.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:14 pm
papercoffee wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:56 pm How about reporting this bug?
I have, did a thing on the discord for it and I've complained about it a few times on different forums including the one that was announced as the official producer of the patch.

Patch hasn't been finalized, I'm hoping before it is that they fix this.
It would be an idea to add a reference to this thread and to the post from sektor in particular to the bug report you've done in GitHub.