Setting up new server for first time

Discussions about Servers
Rayne
Novice

Setting up new server for first time

Post by Rayne »

Hi,

Me and a friend have been trying to set up a UT server to play a bit of deathmatch, and maybe coop Unreal if we can figure that out. The problem is, neither of us have been able to get a server to run and be connected to outside of LAN. I've tried using bat file scripts posted by other sources (the instructions on OldUnreal for example) and the current script I'm using is this:

Code: Select all

@echo off
ucc server dm-Turbine?game=Botpack.DeathMatchPlus port=7777 -log=server.log
copy server.log servercrash.log
I've also gone ahead and port forwarded the ports 7777-7785 (just to be sure) in UDP for my device's static IP address. While running the bat file for the UT server and checking to see if the port is open on canyouseeme.com and other similar services, they say that the port is closed. However, when I run a Terraria server (also coincidentally on port 7777) the same sites say that the port is open. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at this point. I'm using version 469c, and have the remote admin setting turned on, and I'm not sure what else I could do to get this to work.
Any ideas?

Edit: Attached is the full cmd log after running the .bat file.
command line log.
command line log.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Re: Setting up new server for first time

Post by ShaiHulud »

I've had this working successfully in the past with a Netgear ADSL device (since swapped out, so I can't reference the configuration I was using). I think it'd be worth forwarding the full set of ports from PF, just to be certain that this isn't the issue, i.e.,

Code: Select all

UDP: 7777-7779, 27015, 27031-27036, 27900
TCP: 27015, 27036
If all goes well with that set-up, you can experiment with selectively closing the ports that are listed under the "Steam" category.
Rayne
Novice

Post by Rayne »

I tried opening all those ports, still nothing showing up on the master list, and the port is still not registering as open while the server is open. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

The query port is 7787 (game port + 10) if I recall correctly, so maybe just out of the range you forwarded.

Aside from that, it's it possible you have a Widows firewall running and blocking those ports? I'm definitely not an expert but Terraria being far more modern may have some knowledge of the firewall and instruct Widows to allow access, where such integration did not exist for UT.   
Auto merged new post submitted 2 minutes later
Ah sorry I see on your log it is using 7778 as the query port. Maybe 7787 is UT2004 🙂
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Rayne
Novice

Post by Rayne »

I checked firewall, and it was already allowing traffic for both unrealtournament.exe and ucc.exe through, but I went and set up incoming and outgoing port rules for every port mentioned by ShaiHulud, and it still won't show up in the server browser, or as an open port on the port checking website I'm using. Thinking I might do a fresh install of the game and 469c patch, and try again. Thanks for your suggestions!
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

Try forwarding port 7780 as well, it's said not to be required but I'm sure I've had to do that as well to get my dev server displaying in the server browser.
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

Post by Pikko »

DMZ active?
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Forwarding looks good from my point of view.
Also make sure your firewall is not blocking your ucc.exe, or add a exception manually.
Are you able to enter your server manually through IP ?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Problem #1 WELCOME ABOARD !

Problem #2 - my Personal curiosity + a few things.
If you have plans to see server in UT Browser I must ask: What are your INI settings ? MasterServers more exactly.
Because... if you are using unreal.epicgames.com whatever and/or GameSpy, these are frankly useless, you won't see the server in any browser.
The same for player checking Available public servers.

Problem #3 - Other factors concerning connection.
esnesi wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:25 am Are you able to enter your server manually through IP ?
THIS ^^...
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rayne
Novice

Post by Rayne »

So I'm not sure what worked, but I tried to test it again today, and it suddenly works via connect by IP.
Thanks for all your help!
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

portforwarding your server to the internet and say hello world.dont forget to edit your port number also lets say :7777
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.