question about snow.utx file

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
darksonny
Adept

question about snow.utx file

Post by darksonny »

Hi all
I'm searching a full package that includes all textures sets used by several maps, the issue is one map has a version of snow.utx and textures loads correctly but when is another map with the same file but distinct filesize or version textures on the map appears unloaded. Is there for the f*** sake an unified version of this damn file so this way all maps that uses this file loads textures with no issues, please?
See these versions:
https://unrealarchive.org/packages/unre ... index.html

which of these are the correct utx file to load any map?
Im my folder ut has two versions one with 6xx kb and another with 5xx kb
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: question about snow.utx file

Post by OjitroC »

I've got four versions of that utx file - I have the largest of the ones in your link in my Textures folder and I think it runs OK with most maps though can't be sure about that. AFAIK there is no unified version.

The wider issue of course is that there are 8 files (u, utx and uax) with the same name and so mismatches are inevitable - if you have a map that uses Snow.utx but you have Snow.u and your System folder is listed before your Texture folder in UT.ini then the game will try to load Snow.u and the map won't run (as the game looks at the file name rather than the name and the filetype). Luckily the number of maps using any of the files named Snow is fairly small so it is not a problem that one will come across very often.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

You can push all versions into Cache. This allow run all versions, but not allow open this map in Editor. Also it can be tricky do so, since no really easy way do so. Need do all stuff manually: Get GUID, rename file, put in folder and edit cache.ini.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

What about mylevelizing the affected maps? i have ctf-snow and dm-icingdeath 2006
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Mainly when such "packages" issues happened in certain cases I solved offending maps by importing these assets in MyLevel and using that edit.
In the moment when you open map for this task you can definitely solve other issues as well clearly improving things and you'll have a big Plus: Map can be used, map goes improved, no extra-packages, no pain.

Extra "Packages" problems.
Certain Textures with a total different wrapped content can be "merged" together (Quake, Doom, etc. lousy Non-UT things). The thing is that some of them are using common names by example for some wall and here... they get turned into a misery. Other problem is having another file with the same name - generic name which X mappers were doing, a nonsense more exactly. "Snow" "Rain" "Sun" are not special words, everyone can do the same thing in a different way causing more pain than helping. Next issue: you merged successfully Textures, oh well... it will be a mismatch problem for those getting used to Un-Cache downloaded content for no real purpose in their client game.
"Conforming" new file won't solve anything due to some logic questions/issues - you, boys, can forget this "recommendation":
- Which file is reference for conforming from the two/three+ versions?
- How do work a null object aligned to a real object ? It won't work.
Lets see a virtual stage. This Texture file has 3 blocks, other has 6 blocks. Tell me what can be seen in a map with all 6 Textures used when player has the file with 3 blocks happily conformed in a mindless advice... When two packages are having a different configuration conforming them is far from being a solution.