Us Against Them glitch

Discussions about GameTypes
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Us Against Them glitch

Post by EvilGrins »

Prior to MonsterHunt, MonsterMadness was a my fave monster mutator. It loaded selected types of Unreal1 monsters into the game where they could score points and potentially win.

Made for a greater challenge.

It also came with it's own gametype: Us Against Them. Where it forced players & bots onto one team and all of the selected monsters on another team. Basically worked like Invasion for ut2004.

Not having its own maps, it accessed all of the maps in the maps directory and made things very interesting... though it was tricky when it selected Assault maps.

So, I've been trying to run it recently without much luck as it keeps not loading. Basically it exits out of UT and my impression is I have too many maps for it to handle.

Thoughts?
Attachments
UaT-error.png
UaT-error.png (10.56 KiB) Viewed 436 times
UnrealTournament-UaT.zip
(866 Bytes) Downloaded 2 times
UaT-menu.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Us Against Them glitch

Post by OjitroC »

I tried it in 436 and got the same crash - so it looks to me as though you are probably right about too many maps as the crash happened as it was building the map list.

Works OK in 469d though as that builds map lists much faster.
Last edited by OjitroC on Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:05 pmDoes it happen with different maps?
It happens no matter what map I start on.
OjitroC wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:05 pmHave you built the paths in that Blitzkrieg map? Don't know if it is relevant to the crash but that map does not have a navigation chain (the paths aren't built).
Near as I know Blitzkrieg has no pathing...
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 4e54c.html
...it's a small arena map where everyone can see everyone else so it didn't really need any.

But, again, I've launched "Us Against Them" from other maps so don't think it has anything to do with whatever starting map is selected.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:31 pm But, again, I've launched "Us Against Them" from other maps so don't think it has anything to do with whatever starting map is selected.
No it doesn't - I altered my previous post and can confirm that I get the same crash in 436 when MM/UAT is building the map list (though it should be trying to load a list of only c2K maps as most of my DM and MH maps aren't on the UT path - some time ago I did test loading times in 436, 451 and 469 and 436 wouldn't load certain map folders or would take an extremely long time).

The only thing I can suggest is to comment out the AS and MH folders in your UT ini - if that doesn't work comment out the folder with the most maps other than DM and see if UAT launches. You will, of course, need to uncomment out those folders when you want to play something other than UAT.

There are pathnodes in Blitzkrieg but the navigation list isn't built so anything picked up is accidental (no inventoryspots in the map so bots don't know where stuff is and pick it up by accident rather than design).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Actually talking this out with someone else has given me ideas, and I can't help wonder if it's not the sheer magnitude of how many maps I have but also maps that are of obscure gametypes.

I've got a fair number of single-player maps, maybe they're causing issues.

Got several with the game extension "EAS" that seem to be relating to Infiltration... and also, they don't work.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Even possible my UTDM edits might be causing confusion. Does a UTDM-monster join the players & bots team or side with the Unreal1 monsters?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:51 am Actually talking this out with someone else has given me ideas, and I can't help wonder if it's not the sheer magnitude of how many maps I have but also maps that are of obscure gametypes.
Could be though I get the same runaway loop crash and I don't have any maps for obscure gametypes on my UT path (I have a map folder for each gametype and only some of these are on the UT path - so UAT for me is trying to load AS, DOM, CTF, a few DM maps, a few MH maps, a few Entry maps and a few SP maps).
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:51 am Even possible my UTDM edits might be causing confusion. Does a UTDM-monster join the players & bots team or side with the Unreal1 monsters?
I don't think that UAT gets to the stage of looking in the loaded maps as it crashes when building the map list but that's just my guess.

The only way to test all this would be to remove maps of a specific gametype(s) until one gets to a point where UAT does run OK and then add back in a gametype and see what happens.

You could try removing the EAS maps (as they won't work with vanilla UT99) and the SP/SCR maps and see if UAT runs.