MH maps Catastrophic and Midgard

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

MH maps Catastrophic and Midgard

Post by Delacroix »

I know Midgard has a [SP] conversion for coop, retaining the MH prefix but I am looking for the original. Catastrophic I can't find any info on.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: MH maps Catastrophic and Midgard

Post by UnrealGGecko »

At medor's search:
http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=&s ... rch_mode=f
A few variants of Midgard, guessing the UM one is the original

http://medor.no-ip.org/uz/MH-UM-Catastrophic.unr.uz
Catastrophic

All only as .uz files it looks like, might be missing some packages
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

OK, dealt with 'em. Missing "some" packages? Geez. Completing this was a pain. I've served the archives to Medor and submitted them to UnrealArchive as well.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Lol that's some MH maps for ya :D

I do need to have a good look through medor's .uz section, found some decent DM 1on1 maps a while back that for sure were once released with packages and readme, but only are available as a .uz file these days (off the top of my head DM-1on1-MisterRioes][ and DM-1nf1n1ty)
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

Just join 1 off my 3 MH-servers and download whatever map u need
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

http://medor.no-ip.org/Maps/MonsterHunt ... rdPack.zip

http://medor.no-ip.org/Maps/MonsterHunt ... rophic.zip

Both are now available at Medor's, posting links for posterity. UnrealArchive still doesn't have them. I have no idea how long does it take for submissions to get through, but I also got the files to Shrimp directly.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Dependencies... (It's good that Shrimp did not save all lousy things... yet...)
MH-UM-Catastrophic
WarNukingGroundfix is identical with Package called "WarNukingGround" which means the "fix" is mystical just loading an extra-package.
Latest EXU components don't help in running map because some objects cannot be found - which means to downgrade EXU assets for such maps.
By example map is requiring EXU.u dated 2009 and having 2.74 MB. My current file was from 2018 having 12.8 MB - not opening map. Draw me some intelligent conclusions.
Perhaps neither the other one doesn't worth wasting time to check it.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:37 pm Perhaps neither the other one doesn't worth wasting time to check it.
I checked MH-UM-Catastrophic and found it not worth to run on my server - mainly because of the heavy dependencies and oversized monsters.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Do you think it's possible to drop "requirements" in MyLevel without causing a bunch of external dependencies ?
In other case I might be able to save "creatures" and locations, doing a clean "Level" and creating more or less original replacements for creatures.
Here I think can be excepted a huge quantity of packages from being downloaded if map uses only needed things not full packages.
When a mod is "updated" using deletion of classes and variables, it's not like any previous map/mod liked at removed assets will still work, it won't work...

Edit:
Random stage - said "fix" package...

Code: Select all

class BerserkBrute expands Brute;
function eAttitude AttitudeToCreature(Pawn Other)
{
	if ( Other.IsA('Brute') )
		return ATTITUDE_Friendly;
	if ( Other.IsA('ScriptedPawn') )
		return ATTITUDE_Ignore;
	else if ( Other.IsA('Nali') ) // ???? Prior check did not accomplish this ? Nali is SCRIPTEDPAWN anyway.
		return ATTITUDE_Ignore;
}
All sort of useless executions and more data loaded in memory...
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

"MH-Catastrophic" is a useful stress test map. It was one of those maps which helped to track down a UT engine edge case issues, such as that notorious FCollisionHash crash and "objclean" crash. Surprisingly, it doesn't even require any special runtime patch to work with no heavy problems.

"WarNukingGround" actually needs to get fixed, and that another name probably could be a real fixed package back in the days that later has been replaced by original one for some reason, though it doesn't matter anymore... Anyway, admins normally either have "WarNukingGroundFix" as a symlink or don't have it at all.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I tested a bit things over there. I removed all those uber weapons and using what was in WarNukingGround but... added as Mylevel and the rest of monsters. Still EXU has external links (Sounds and Textures) which I cannot break without a lot of editing. In this stage is not that bad, somehow strong monsters are aligned at those "nukes" from WarNukingGround package which actually is the same as "fix" version (nothing is fixed it's a stupid copy), files are identical. Probably for Home usage is not bad at all (because pathing is easy).
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:37 pm Dependencies... (It's good that Shrimp did not save all lousy things... yet...)
The only lousy one is you.

It's always worth to preserve content. It cannot be left to remain solely on servers because servers aren't really dependable. One day they run, the other, they gone. Sometimes after many years, someone will pull the plug. And then, bam, content gone. We can't afford that.

And since it's a primarily server-sourced map, dependancies are dime a dozen, because well, in worst case scenario, you just sit on downloading screen a wee little longer.

I don't find this a downside, it's just a pain in the arse to complete the archive. Still, doable.
Barbie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:43 pm I checked MH-UM-Catastrophic and found it not worth to run on my server - mainly because of the heavy dependencies and oversized monsters.
As far as oversized monsters go, I'd still understand but dependencies? See above.
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

Is there any reason to use EXU.u version of 12.8 MB from 2018 on MH server, considering all (or most part?) of existing EXU depended MH maps require EXU.u versions of 2.7 MB from 2009 or of 7.7 MB from 2012, where the latter one is backward compatible with the first one, unless the server is also meant to run EXU2 maps?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm not going into flames or such because people are using what works for them such as UT 436 + XC_Engine24 instead of 469 without anything else.
So if old EXU is better than newer EXU this is good to know... And no, to me they don't seems backward compatible, I couldn't use anything to open them, I used repacked ones. This is all about updating practices... and EXU was/is a SinglePlayer campaign not MonsterHunt asset.
Either way... breaking dependencies seems an intensive long time work... probably no go. Exporting Textures, rewriting codes, importing used assets with chances to fail something. "Gauntlet" was easier to manage...
Delacroix wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:04 am The only lousy one is you.
So what ? I'm fine and healthy :P , compared to others I'm feeling comfortable exactly in this format - and running less bugs.
First of all map was using BPak that is bugged since forever and it's only flooding logs - and yes, is a lousy one disregarding any sudden love for it. If BotPack had a bug, BPak was working harder to execute it X times. Movers are set with huge time instead of "bTriggerOnceOnly = True". Did you see geometry ? Indeed... it's awesome cubes that are perfect with perfect surfaces...
But... with a bit of work, it can be an OFF-LINE party as I could see already yesterday evening, which is not bad.
Further checks are going related to memory taken and EXU2 things. If doesn't work, it will need to be reconstructed and assets rewritten.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Back with some report... MH-Catastrophic
I see that dependency to EXU.u and other sort of packages can be lifted away. Still EXU-Textures.u and EXU-Sounds.u are needed but... map works with initial versions as well as with newer ones. The problem comes that newer files are somehow big and for ON-Line it comes a massive quantity of packages that needs to be downloaded. Fake "WarNukingGroundfix" package is no longer needed, assets are working in MyLevel and... you can have weapons and health matching with Monsters (which are over-powered too), it gets balanced and... having Bot support normally.

Generic geometry
Several stock Textures makes differences between hunting rooms, aligning top cubes correctly to ground cubes, building map's geometry on my rig takes under a second and has no flaws because... it doesn't have BSPCuts. Stairs can have merged polys and :mrgreen: semi-solid - No Bugs.
I'm chasing if there are other obscure dependencies.

Performance results:
Initial MonsterHunt works ugly in first stage, some MH2 version can also develop frames lost due to Monsters that are creating other Monsters and... are not eliminated in combat. In XC_MonsterHunt it works mainly normal, and it looks full of fun.