I Am Returned From The Hairiest Experience. - RipperArena mutator

Discussions about UT99
FlakKitty
Novice
Personal rank: Flakker

I Am Returned From The Hairiest Experience. - RipperArena mutator

Post by FlakKitty »

Picture the scene: DM-Agony, 63 bots, me, and my RipperArena mutator. It was a ballistics nightmare, far worse (and thus more fun) than UT99's FlakArena, which was my usual go-to when I wanted to have my arse handed to me by my beloved ant-like adversaries and push the limits of what I could do in this kind of match situation. Funny thing, though - Red (my team) has been winning sometimes. There is literally no time to think when you're standing drooling like an idiot in the middle of who knows how many Ripper blades. It is GLORIOUS!

I have bad eyes, thus bad target discrimination, but yeah, we nailed it.

EDIT: Btw, and I know this doesn't mean much, but they're all Adept bots, just on the edge of being cheaty little oiks. EDIT 2: I like 100 as my frag limit, so that match was very short. And Red won, somehow. I was also in the top half of our kill leaderboard. Again, no idea how that happened, but I'm giggling like a mad thing right now.

UT99 is just epic and hilarious, and such a smooth ride for playing.
darksonny
Adept

Re: I Am Returned From The Hairiest Experience.

Post by darksonny »

FlakKitty wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:55 pm Picture the scene: DM-Agony, 63 bots, me, and my RipperArena mutator. It was a ballistics nightmare, far worse (and thus more fun) than UT99's FlakArena, which was my usual go-to when I wanted to have my arse handed to me by my beloved ant-like adversaries and push the limits of what I could do in this kind of match situation. Funny thing, though - Red (my team) has been winning sometimes. There is literally no time to think when you're standing drooling like an idiot in the middle of who knows how many Ripper blades. It is GLORIOUS!

I have bad eyes, thus bad target discrimination, but yeah, we nailed it.

EDIT: Btw, and I know this doesn't mean much, but they're all Adept bots, just on the edge of being cheaty little oiks. EDIT 2: I like 100 as my frag limit, so that match was very short. And Red won, somehow. I was also in the top half of our kill leaderboard. Again, no idea how that happened, but I'm giggling like a mad thing right now.

UT99 is just epic and hilarious, and such a smooth ride for playing.
And here's why ut99 is the best ut version (from all, although I love all them with their weakeness and strenghts), Im still remembering that 4th december 2001 playin' late night with that music that feel, and (now missing or non-existent) sports camaraderie before it became after several years those "kiddies" converted ut servers a place to insulting each other and/or rubbing their testicles obscenely, as if it were a war, when it's nothing more than a fucking game that engages and entertains in equal parts.
FlakKitty
Novice
Personal rank: Flakker

Post by FlakKitty »

Indeed! Just the sheer joy of competing without any particular rivalry; just doing it for the fun of it. Win or lose, who cares? The fun's in the journey!
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

How is it possible to have 63 bots?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Moved the thread to General Discussions

This thread has not really something to do with distributing Mutators or talking of new made Mutators per se.
More like experiences with the build in arena mutators.

EDIT-------------
Also I edited the thread title.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Baardman wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:16 pm How is it possible to have 63 bots?
Barring use of a mutator, bot limits are imposed in the UnrealTournament.ini file.

They have one of these for each gametype:

[Botpack.CTFGame]
bUseTranslocator=False
bCoopWeaponMode=True
GoalTeamScore=5.000000
bNoTeamChanges=False
FriendlyFireScale=0.000000
MaxTeams=2
MaxTeamSize=16
FragLimit=0
TimeLimit=0
bMultiWeaponStay=False
bForceRespawn=True
MaxCommanders=0
bNoMonsters=False
bHumansOnly=False
bClassicDeathMessages=False

The part which governs it is "MaxTeamSize".

You can manually type in a different number, but you'd have to do it for each gametype you want to use it on.

I've got my MonstertHunt (which is in the MonstertHunt.ini) set for 32 bots.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealWarrior
Average

Post by UnrealWarrior »

[/quote]
And here's why ut99 is the best ut version (from all, although I love all them with their weakeness and strenghts), Im still remembering that 4th december 2001 playin' late night with that music that feel, and (now missing or non-existent) sports camaraderie before it became after several years those "kiddies" converted ut servers a place to insulting each other and/or rubbing their testicles obscenely, as if it were a war, when it's nothing more than a fucking game that engages and entertains in equal parts.
[/quote]

Cheating also is rampant in some servers these days. But there's also good people playing the game.
"We have nothing to fear but fear of tigers"

~tiger attack survivor
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

There is a hard coded limitation of 32 PlayerReplicationInfo in class'GameReplicationInfo': var PlayerReplicationInfo PRIArray[32];. May be interesting what happens if this limit is exceed.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Barbie wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:27 pm
There is a hard coded limitation of 32
So, turns out there's another part of the .int file that has "InitialBots".

Just for shits & giggles, I changed that to 99... and it worked!
Attachments
Shot0111.png
Shot0111.png (33.29 KiB) Viewed 625 times
Shot0117.png
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: I Am Returned From The Hairiest Experience. - RipperArena mutator

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:39 pm Just for shits & giggles, I changed that to 99... and it worked!
Really ?
Tell me scores and all that replications stuff starting with number 32.... and what you get in log... sure, you don't care what logs are reporting unless it's all moving down-hill.

Resuming: Interesting "CTF"-IrregularSpace map shown in avatar. Actually this is indeed a TDM arena because... Bots don't care about flags... and then... they can be removed as long as A.I. doesn't have a real business with them only by accident.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:36 pmTell me scores and all that replications stuff starting with number 32
I didn't play out the full game, I was worried that many bots would cause a crash... but I did go back in when I noticed some bots were being listed as "Bot#"
Apparently when there's more than 32, UT's engine starts cloning the 32 bots and listing them as Bot and with a number after that...
...which visually looks VERY interesting!

Now I could run a game from start to last like this, and I'll happily check the logs to see what that does...
...but obviously this is a very weird thing to have so many than the standard limit.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

That was interesting, even though I didn't finish.
Attachments
UnrealTournament.zip
(7 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Shot0176.png