UT Ver,,469 questions.

Discussions about UT99
Red_Fist
Godlike

UT Ver,,469 questions.

Post by Red_Fist »

Basically what I want to know is. I don't need very much detailed readme or help at this second, just the basic things

Will ALL old maps ALL work. ?

Can you edit old maps to make it 469. ?

Is oldskool and MH still all compatible and usable ?

I want to see it, try it, but still able to use old editor and game.
Make a copy of a new name UT directory and then replace all files.?

I have copied UT many times in a new name directory, although it is not an actual "install" but can be remedied pretty easy.

I do have Unreal Gold as well, so that might be the newer editor only for that.
Binary Space Partitioning
Buggie
Godlike

Re: UT Ver,,469 questions.

Post by Buggie »

Red_Fist wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:55 pm Will ALL old maps ALL work. ?
Yes.
Red_Fist wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:55 pm Can you edit old maps to make it 469. ?
You can edit old maps, and there no such thing as "make map 469".
Red_Fist wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:55 pm Is oldskool and MH still all compatible and usable ?
Yes. However, possible OldSkool need update too, up to latest version.
Red_Fist wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:55 pm I want to see it, try it, but still able to use old editor and game.
Make a copy of a new name UT directory and then replace all files.?
Yes.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Buggie wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:53 pm
Red_Fist wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:55 pm Can you edit old maps to make it 469. ?
You can edit old maps, and there no such thing as "make map 469".
Not exactly true.

Before I got the patch I found it impossible to edit maps made under 469. I could add things to the maps, but I could NOT remove what was on them.

Only really did it once, to remove XV from a map I wanted to replace with UTDM... but apparently the previous version of UnrealEd couldn't even save changes to a map made under 469.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Not aware about such. It can be bug. You need make issue on github with all info if so.
It can be regression bug.
However, such stuff consider as bug, not as usual behavior and tend to be fixed on future patches.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"Before I got the patch I found it impossible to edit maps made under 469"

I would think that as true because a new version map shouldn't go backward compatible.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

There no such thing as "a new version map".
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

I freely use Unreal 227I and 227J along with UT436 and 469 to build my maps, each patch has it's own strengths so I tend to load my level in whichever version of the editor I need for what I'm doing at the time.

I have never had a problem back or forward porting the levels.

Can you describe the problem you have?
Signature goes here.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

ExpEM wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:46 am I have never had a problem back or forward porting the levels.
*sign*
Also, compared to v436, UnrealEd does not crash anymore. In v436 times it was quite frustrating, saving all 30 sec like good bad Word 6.0 ("save often, save early").
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Editor in UT469 is a bit superior toward its building capabilities and some extra information granted. There were two maps which did not build correctly in 436/440 but all was normal in 469D. Of course you should not expect some magical fixes when geometry is badly messed up.
The compatibility - I have some doubts and I posted already evidences but whoever has eyes closed won't see them. And other native is the same thing as in 436 but indeed no longer crashing - in 227 it's better since 2012-2013.

As for Bot/Monster obsessions... let me see, maps over 1000 Nodes are not very reliable in 436 - it's not like they cannot be done normally but... some people don't have any clue what's up - in 469 processing is different and they work over these 1000 Nodes. So... if we have such maps (they are already on forum), are clearly 469 ONLY maps disregarding what was told before, because in 436 "DevPath" will fail randomly or completely rejecting routing calls - I already could see this, any yes, at this subject you clearly can have "469 only maps" - anybody can figure this on his own skin. EG is right, I had to clean up some of these 469 things for making them to work in 436 to 451 - and they worked in simplified format of 436 because pathing is not rocket science or requiring some special training program.

Edit: A.I. subject number 2
I know a sort of "MH map" which is... big somehow - and not the only one. "DevPath" is failing in both 436 and 469 - simple as that. The thing is... 436 + XC Engine v24 makes it to work flawless. Cough ? Yeah... and it's not like a flu...
It would be awesome for me to do an update... but I don't have any XC stuff available for 469 and... It's not like I want to throw all my XC work on the window... and removing maps from my repository just for the sake of updating game.

Next stuff - random example "VoteSys" - it's stated in "ReadMe" as a mod for 469 - that's all about compatibility.
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

Buggie wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:56 pm There no such thing as "a new version map".
What about functions that exist in some of v469 classes (for example, 'Decoration') but not exist in v436 versions of these classes? Should the package compiled with v469 that inherits/references such classes then be compatible with v436 editor?
We know about backward compatibility related warnings v469 compiler throws in such cases...
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

If this possible, compiler ask you correct such stuff. If not, there be warning, about incompatibility and this up to mapper, use such functions or no.
However this not make map a new version. Map still use same version. it can use things which missed in v436.
Anyway mapper must confirm such thing, so it is mapper decision. Such can't happen accidentally.
Deaod
Average

Post by Deaod »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:41 pm Next stuff - random example "VoteSys" - it's stated in "ReadMe" as a mod for 469 - that's all about compatibility.
VoteSys requires a 469 server to function, clients should be able to use it with 436 (mostly, admins need 469 for full functionality).
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

Buggie wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:12 am If this possible, compiler ask you correct such stuff. If not, there be warning, about incompatibility and this up to mapper, use such functions or no.
This means, there are 2 options mapper has in such case - either to rewrite conflicting subclasses in appropriate way, or to agree the package won't be backward compatible. And since it's not backward compatible, it can be defined as a "new version", i guess.

So, anyway, mappers have to keep this in mind to avoid compatibility issues... Hopefully they read what compiler warns about, and not just click the key to continue...
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

If you put question in that way, yes. But such changes can't appear from nowhere.
You can't just recompile actor on map and it stop work in 436. You must explicit use some feature from 469 and ignore all warnings, for get not compatible package for v436.
So it is basically fault one who do that, not patch itself.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

When I say "versions" is because I can open an unreal gold map or Unreal map but in 436 the textures are all screwed up and other things and can't open that map.

So I assume if I made something in the 469 version, means it will have things in it that 436 does not, and won't open the map.

Is why I say versions.