Help with Vista 64bit please.

Discussions about UT99
Wes
Novice

Help with Vista 64bit please.

Post by Wes »

I installed ut99 from the first original ut99 disk. Then I installed 436 patch. Then I download D3D9Drv, so I could figure out how to run it smooth. Now it says I need the disk to play, but my disk is in the cd-rom... When I use direct3d, and opengl(version that came with the disk) I get slow lags. Maybe this topic can help other people buying vista 64bit computers.

My gear.
-Intel Centrino 2 @ 2.27ghz
-9800m GTX

Thanks!
Wes
Novice

Re: Help with Vista 64bit please.

Post by Wes »

Anyone think I should try to use 1 core instead of 2?
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

For AMD users there is this AMD dual core optimizer, something like that should exist for Intel user, too?!
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

First off, you shouldn't depend on your original CD to run the game.

Download this: http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=P ... odelta.exe

Aplly that, and no worries, it's a legal patch made by Epic to run the game without CD.

Then, if you have problems in performance (too fast or too laggy), there's an Inteal Dual Core fix:
http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a

Also notice that Vista is the next generation of Millenium, it's a worse OS than a virus, a real cancer (I know now since I have on PC at home with it), but I think you will be able to play good with these fixes.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

vista runs perfectly fine. You can not compare it to millennium.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Qwerty wrote:vista runs perfectly fine. You can not compare it to millennium.
I don't think so, Tim. :mrgreen:
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Actually I can. I can even say Vista is like a new version of Millenium.
And I am not the only one with problems with Vista and such, most people that used Vista simply turned to XP again (and maybe now they will turn straight to W7, let's see).
I want more proof? I am studying now in a University Institute (which is in general better than a regular University, since there more practise and search is done there rather than theory only).
They tried to work out with Vista in some machines to see if it was indeed better or not, and you know what? Vista just FAILED LOL
They all have XP again because Vista couldn't handle many basic applications correctly, mostly network side ones.
I also worked in a company where we repaired several types of material regarding communications (copper pairs tech, optical fibre tech, etc), be it from huge centrals to little things from clients. In order to see it was indeed working as it should in the end, we ran a really simply interface program (really really simple, believe me), and it was lightweight enough and simply enough to run on any computer with any Windows OS (95, 98, 98SE, 2000, XP), but then 2 people there bought 2 laptops with what? Vista, can you believe LOL :lol:
They installed that simple interface program and it had problems as hell in both laptops (even when they tried to run it as Windows XP compatibility).

We have 3 PCs at home, 1 with Vista and 2 with XP Professional.
1 - Vista (my brother's) - Used to play some few games, do some school work, browsing internet, some few downloads (nothing much), watch some anime, etc, and it has almost no program installed there to run in background from the beggining (only AV, MSN, and not much more).
2 - XP Professional SP3 (my own PC): Most of all the above, plus programming, modelling, modding, play several games, etc.
3 - XP Professional SP2 (my father-in-law's): He uses it heavilly for games, net browsing and not just "innocent" sites, MSN, etc, etc (he uses it really really heavilly and he isn't that carefull as I am with mine, the the hardware is similar and the OS quite the same).

Now note this: PC 3 has some software problems only times to times (I would say each 3 or 4 months, which I can solve most of the times without the need of formating).
PC 2 is my own, and I rarelly have any problems there and starts pretty fast although I have some programs running in the background. It's the most stable one (it's mine, so I really take care of it to last long).
PC 1, although it's my brother's, he uses mine half of the day, and I use his in that half. Why? Simple: both I and my brother take care of our computers, and I am sure he doesn't have anything wrong in his PC, but his takes about 5 minutes to stabilize once reached the desktop to be able just to open firefox, and many apllications have problems there. Also, it's very unstable and already gave some blue screens when it was stopped (also some reboots when idle, and never when using it activelly). Now you understand why I and my brother have an agreement where he uses mine half of the day (in the weekend), unless I have to do something really important on mine. Also notice I never talked about any kind of "pirated" Vistas here, all the ones I talked were genuine and had the updates turned on.

So based on this, yes, Vista is very damn far away to be called "perfect". It's is just a Millenium with improved visuals and very resource demanding without any need for it.
So Vista really fails as OS, maybe Windows 7 will this time actually be a good OS, but until then, XP all the way.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

BULLSHIT, I think I liked Millenium Edition better actually and Vista is part of why I switched to Linux.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Vista was just fine after SP1 release. No need to bash it if you haven't used it long enough. Initial impressions did matter and that was fatal for Vista's image so people kept negative attitude towards Vista regardless of all the improvements it got over time.
FrozenDozer
Average
Personal rank: TS Addict

Post by FrozenDozer »

You know what? Vista sucks cock.
This OS is so extremely unstable and buggy. It does the strangest things. Example?

I had Vista on my PC... for 2 months. After release of SP1.
Once it created a 120GB (!!!) TMP File on my HDD. It wasn't deletable, it wasn't viewable. Nothing worked. And no, i had no viruses.
A friend of mine owns a brand new 900$ PC... he installed Vista, and what happens? Bluescreen after Bluescreen. Especially when he's gaming.

And I won't start the storys about ~20% lower FPS on nearly every game and it's resource wastage in general.
Signatures are overrated...
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

I wont argue anymore about Vista since I know that people who decided to hate it will do it anyway (regardless the fact that slow performance and crashes were mostly caused by unmature 3rd party drivers and lower end hardware). Average Joe knows that Vista sucks so let it be, its too late to change his mind anyway. Most fun fact is that Windows 7 is based on same technology that builds upon Windows Vista, but people like it. There are little improvements here and there for sure, but it just shows how badly some opinions are biased towards some things.
FrozenDozer
Average
Personal rank: TS Addict

Post by FrozenDozer »

I didn't decide to hate Vista. Vista decided to hate people. It seems like you are some of these who don't have problems with vista... and never had. Lucky guy. I had tons of problems. And guess what? I don't have them With 7. Even with the RC

Unmatured Drivers, maybe. But this doesn't change the fact that it didn't work proberly. And no, it wasn't my hardware. I had 2Gigs of RAM, a 8800GT and an Intel Core 2 Duo E4300.
Signatures are overrated...
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Raynor wrote:Vista was just fine after SP1 release. No need to bash it if you haven't used it long enough. Initial impressions did matter and that was fatal for Vista's image so people kept negative attitude towards Vista regardless of all the improvements it got over time.
Raynor wrote:I wont argue anymore about Vista since I know that people who decided to hate it will do it anyway (regardless the fact that slow performance and crashes were mostly caused by unmature 3rd party drivers and lower end hardware). Average Joe knows that Vista sucks so let it be, its too late to change his mind anyway. Most fun fact is that Windows 7 is based on same technology that builds upon Windows Vista, but people like it. There are little improvements here and there for sure, but it just shows how badly some opinions are biased towards some things.
It was not initial impressions, it simply until today doesn't run properlly as a PAID OS.
Like I said, my UNIVERSITY, which is aknowledged in many places around the world (many people working in other countries as they studied in this university), tried to install Vista, updated it, they gave it several tries, not just a first impression, and by true professionals, not regular users.
And they had really to return to XP because there was no other way around!
Result is: it doesn't run properlly several apllications, aplications that a damn user made emulator can run perfectly in Linux!
Just read my last post regarding my experience with Vista. It wasn't first impressions, since I got it really late actually, and all the situations I talked about was already much after SP1 and everyone was actually expecting something good by installing it even with all the bashing. And do you know what? The bashing proved that it has a very damn good reason to be.
Let's not forget this is a paid OS we're talking about, and very damn expensive, so they should be able to do a good OS, so let's see what they come up with Windows 7.
I don't see how can you argue with this, since it's very damn proved.
Also, if the simple apps already have trouble running, imagine what's to build a driver to a buggy system without giving problems, so it's normal that several drivers have problems with Vista, no matter their effort to solve them, because simply Vista doesn't run things properlly.
I am also from electronics, so if I would have to compare this software (OS) with simple logic hardware, I would say Vista is like a bunch of integrated combinatory circuits with unused inputs in the air (when they should all be connected to mass), and therefore a system that even how good it can look, it doesn't run properlly most of the time.
rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Post by rohitggarg »

Feralidragon wrote:I would say Vista is like a bunch of integrated combinatory circuits with unused inputs in the air (when they should all be connected to mass), and therefore a system that even how good it can look, it doesn't run properlly most of the time.
Sick but so true... My bro has it installed on his lappy, and it really sux.. All the time it asks about even disk access related activity that if you waana access it or not...If there would have been some serious logic, it would automatically have detected that its a user who wants to access and not a program or something dangerous....

I think it is a practice in microsoft to make people bang there heads against the walls.. The best example being Microsoft's IE compared to firefox.. A simple popup blocker functionality doesn't work properly in IE what else would you expect... :mrgreen: :rock:
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

Bill Gates sleeps in fear that Chuck Norris will install Vista on his computer.

Vista SERIOUSLY sucks. It's Wireless Networking is TERRIBLE-I had to help my neighbors get their brand-new Vista Laptop working... It kept dropping out of their wireless every two minutes. Mine could jack into the same wireless and stay for about 20 before dropping out (My ancient Toshiba Pentium M, BEFORE I increased the RAM) Vista sucks.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]