New release coming- Survival

Discussions about GameTypes
gopostal

New release coming- Survival

Post by gopostal »

TheDane and I have been working very hard at a gametype for UT called "Survival". It is very much 2K4 Invasion-like but with some nice twists. There are 40+ monsters to select from and enough configure options that servers can be made to suit a very large variety of gameplay. Lots of custom content is included, such as server-saved player and map stats.

The website is up now at http://utsurvival.com/ and more is being added daily. We have done a couple of closed clan beta tests and the script is very close to complete. Maps are being created now, as this will require it's own map prefix (SV-). No worries though, it's incredibly easy to map for and in a week or so we will post a mapping guide as well as the server readme for admins who request in the forums to get one.

If you enjoy Inv, then you'll like Survival. The release date is set for 16October and I see no reason this can't be easily met. If you are interested, follow-up information is posted at the site and is updated as needed. Thank you :thumbup:
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Re: New release coming- Survival

Post by zacman »

Heard about this on MSN... looks freaking awesome :D
But what does the SV and SCI and stuff on the monsters mean?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Im looking forward for this :) cause i liked the UT2k4 one thingy
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

SV and Sci are monster reclassing. In order to simplify things we used several existing packages of monsters and imported them into the mod as a reclassed monster extending the original one. This was done so that you didn't have to download the same monster all over again you probably already have and we can do pretty much what we want with the monster in our mod.

I started to post up pics of all the monsters, but I think that might ruin the fun. You'll know them when you see them: They will be trying to kill you :tu:

We posted a small teaser vid: Preview
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Just a quick update, everything is on track for the release. All coding is done, and we are working on the maps to go in the map pack. Here is a little gameplay teaser:

This has a custom weapons mod running. We were server testing and I just grabbed some footage while playing.
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Mod released: http://www.utsurvival.com Have fun!!! :)
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

I played a few rounds online, it was pretty fun.
nicely done I must say :)
I just have one question. is there no bot support?
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

no, bots are not supported. This game is for players only. Actualy you have no need for bots in any of the maps?
Retired.
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

It'd be nice to have Bot support, for people like me who don't play online because they cant...
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

well, you don't need bots to support you, it's just you against the monsters. Just tweak the ini settings to the difficulty that match your skills and you'll be fine :)
Retired.
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Erm, encountered a bug... I was playing a map, and got up to wave four, and killed everything, and the next monster wave just didn't start (I know I killed everything cause I summoned the NWII IRPR to check)
MrMoxxy
Novice
Personal rank: ut99 Gamer/Admin

Post by MrMoxxy »

did you check if the monster count was 0?

Also, if you use other mods than what ships with the gamestyle you might create the bug. Try remove all custom mods and see if problem is solved.
"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are." - Milton Berle
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Yes if you encounter a wave stopper of any kind please let us know. We can code against things in an update if it's a mod conflict issue.

About bots...Well that one was my call. In the early tests I worked on the bots but literally every time we playtested, my buddies would say "remove the bots". No one wanted to use them at all. I figured it would very much help the server load by removing the bot replication, not to mention bot-pathing would be mostly broken too so I removed the support. They aren't good enough anyway to play the mod. You have to crank them to nearly godlike to get them to last past wave 4 or so and be any impact in the game.
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

yeah, a log file would be great, I've played like 1000 games and it never happend to me? ....
Retired.
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Crap... It's been a year since I cleared my logs... there's like a thousand of them :shock: