anti cheaters help

Discussions about Servers
lucifur
Novice
Personal rank: neiwbi admin

anti cheaters help

Post by lucifur »

Hi, I am a new UT99 server admin, I rented a server from gameservers.com at first for my private group, I have had a UT2004 server for couple years now but still learning I left it vanilla until thees last few months (I say this to give you my back ground knowledge).

So a few months ago I decided to get a UT99 server and my guys did not show much interest so I decided to make it public.

I have several problems like I cant get the mutators to work in the map vote, but today I logged on and this guy for two games did me head shots almost every time, he might be that good, but it's got me scared.

I don't want my server to be a haven for cheaters and ruin it, before it even gets started.

As far as I under stand it it has UTPURE on it already, and I did a search for cheats here in the forum and there was only one topic that referred to a windows based anti cheat program which wont do me any good, as I have a rented server number one and it is linux based.

Pointed to the right thread or advice would be helpful.

Thanks. :help:
gopostal

Re: anti cheaters help

Post by gopostal »

Certain gamestyles are pretty bad in UT. DM and CTF are pretty rife with sophisticated bots. As of now aside from UTDC, there is very little that is highly effective.

Your best bet is to get good admins. Nothing beats playing moderators.
lucifur
Novice

Post by lucifur »

Ok.

well I will start a new thread for next problem "Help with "mutator=x3dfxMapVotev24c.x3dfxMapVote" I cant get the mutators to work, I am sure it is simply I dont know what to put in the mutator= spot.

I will get UTDC installed.

Thanks,Shane
lucifur
Novice

Post by lucifur »

Thanks medor, but that put me in brain fog i will click on each link and try figure out.

thanks, I am great full for help, but don't be shocked if come back with some questions as soon as figure out what questions i need to ask.

Shane
lucifur
Novice

Post by lucifur »

Ok got UTDC and a kick iderlers mutator installed, my goal is to try and make a player policed server, because I like the Idea, and also I joined the server the other day and was chatting with a player and it was obvious he was a seasoned player so I asked him if he wanted to admin the server but it turned him off, I am a kluts in public, any way so I don't know anybody personally who wants that sort of thing so will try this rout.

PS. I dont understand the UTDC add ons yet, side note UTDC booted me couple times but rebooted UT99 and it excepted me, I suppose it's because I been experimenting with mesh maker and have some extra .u files in the system folder too. "been learning to make maps"

WOW, this link is cool..http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... p?f=9&t=72

Thanks, Shane
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

As an aside, if you are going to try your hand at development (You go!!) you should ideally have a separate installation of UT to use for that. It won't take long before you have a bunch of unknown packages in your installation from creating things, and this will cause many problems on some servers. Best to keep a vanilla(ish) install of UT to do your playing from.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:+1 gopostal :tu:

so.
I think this problem is not a real problem.
As you exchange server it is recommended to close UT and reopen it to go on another server.