Queens, scripted pawns, we <3 monsters

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
gopostal

Queens, scripted pawns, we <3 monsters

Post by gopostal »

I have always meant to fix the frozen teleporting queen issue and I'll be attending to that shortly, but can you guys think of other things that scripted pawns do that needs addressing? For instance, I'll fix the "unkillable skaarj" too. Are there other things that could be improved without reclassing the scripted pawn?

Oh, and I also think I have a way of fixing the invisible monster glitch you see on servers. You know, where the monster is somewhat behind something (you have partial view) and becomes invisible, yet you can still shoot it?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Queens, scripted pawns, we <3 monsters

Post by Feralidragon »

gopostal wrote: Oh, and I also think I have a way of fixing the invisible monster glitch you see on servers. You know, where the monster is somewhat behind something (you have partial view) and becomes invisible, yet you can still shoot it?
Afaik that happens with every single visible actor (except the ones bAlwaysRelevant=True), and not only monsters. They loose relevancy client-side once you don't see their origin point for a certain amount of seconds.
If you have a way to fix it, be carefull, the fix might affect the servers bandwidth severally (if done the wrong way of course), and MH servers tend to have the highest pings I ever saw (when full or almost).

But now, more fixes, I don't know lol, the only bug that always bothered us all was the dropped weapons bug, but I guess you already fixed that :mrgreen:
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

its not really a glitch. but I dont like it when nali's teleport themselfs away
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Lol, me too Rakiayn. I made some Nali Bartenders once and it was the devil getting them to completely stop doing it. IIRC, I had to completely class them myself, and not use a subclass.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I made a subclass of Nali for editor Dave that never teleported away, and it's not difficult to make. I just subclassed them and changed a function or 2 (don't remember quite well what I did, but it was easy to override the teleportation).
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

yeah its not that difficult. I made a nali class in monstermatch, of nalis that can not teleport.
it would be nice though if a mutator did the trick. I think its possible because if i remember correctly it is managed in a state of the nali (cant check it from here though)
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

I'd be interested in seeing how you guys did it if you ever run across the code. Seeing someone work something out better than I could is one of the best ways I can learn.

I think the biggest problem I had with the nalis was that they change states differently than a regular scripted pawn and there are a couple of extra calls to teleport that weren't totally obvious at first glance.
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

take a look at my nalis in the monstermatch beta. :)
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

I also thought of something else.
when skaarjtroopers have no weapons , they are attacked by other monsters.
I took a look at the code ,and i believe this is because skaarjtroopers are Biplayer, untill they have pickedup there weapons. which ofcourse doesnt happen if the monster oesnt have a weapon
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

You know, you might have found a good way to single them out. If they check as having no weapon, give them a hammer or something to change the state.

I'm gonna have to look at this much closer.