Faked level-travel-system

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Faked level-travel-system

Post by Creavion »

I don`t dare to PM my most favorite scripter of all time again, so I ask this public to all the scripter on this forum:

A little introduction: The inventory is the only thing the player can carry to an other level (teleporter). Ok, for something I am making atm (yes yes I have started today: Image), I would like to fake a level-travel-system. Means you can return to an older level to find it as you have left it.
Means picked up pickups are not there anymore and killed enemies are not there again.

Got that idea already a longer time ago, although it is not something special.

For every pickup you pickup and for every enemy you kill you get a certain blank pickup for your inventory. The event of each enemy and of each pickup will trigger a specific "GetInventory" Trigger which gives you a blank inventory item.

Those could be called like:
Lvl1_Krall1InCave_Item
Lvl1_Krall2InCave_Item
(you would get those two blank items if you would have killed them)

or for items
Lvl1_NaliFruitNearToilett_Item
(you would get this item if you would just collected it)

Ok the trick is now, if you return to the level, a single "CheckInventory" trigger (or more if the slots are to limitd as like with a Dispatcher) would check directly at the start your inventory for those blank items.

Means .. could work + look like this

CheckInventoryTrigger

ItemToCheck
[0] Lvl1_Krall1InCave_Item
[1] Lvl1_Krall2InCave_Item
[2] Lvl1_NaliFruitNearToilett_Item
[3]
[4]
[5]
[6]
[7]

OutEvents
[0] KillFirstKrallInCave_KillTrigger
[1] Kill2ndKrallInCave_KillTrigger
[2] RemoveFreakingNaliFruit1_KillTrigger
[3]
[4]
[5]
[6]
[7]

edit: maybe the CheckInventoryTrigger could have an additional
bool called:
bWorksOnlyIfTrigged
than it could be also used within the level itself for additional thingies
-----------------------------------------------------------------
KillTrigger
Tag: KillFirstKrallInCave_KillTrigger
ActorToKill: Class'MyLevel.Krall0'
KillTrigger
Tag: Kill2ndKrallInCave_KillTrigger
ActorToKill: Class'MyLevel.Krall1'
KillTrigger
Tag: RemoveFreakingNaliFruit1_KillTrigger
ActorToKill: Class'MyLevel.NaliFruit0'

I am pretty sure it could work like that. But now the problem: Whats with destroyable crates, potteries and boxes?
Imagine the player shoots a vase but DOES NOT pickup the item...

Or imagine a creatue factory let spawn a skaarj but the player DOES NOT kill it and escapes instead.
Well yearh, dont think a lot of player would act like here but its still possible^^

ATM I would not need anything, but I would need to know if that all is REALLY possible.

This faked level-travel-system would allow me to create some bigger landscape which are not limited by the usuable editor field or the node limit. It would also allow me to build smaller levels (dont spend possible days and weeks for bugfixing with HOMS etc).

So.. ? Well uhm! I think I can be even grateful if somebody reads this complete post.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
gopostal

Re: Faked level-travel-system

Post by gopostal »

It would be easier to script a custom actor that "remembers" for you, and subclass everything from it as a variable. Will this be for an off-line SP game?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Well.. yearh I think so, I dont think I will need coop support for that. Although it could be a fatal mistake at the end ... :tongue:
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

I wouldn't do it that way: too complicated, too sophisticated, also it's too spezialized and won't work with everything, no, there're other ways
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

There are 2 "easy" ways of doing that:

1) An actor with config variables, where you save what you want in a temp ini, but the problem is that this wouldn't work very well with at least 2 saved games from the same SP (1 ini for "2" games, not good);

2) Through an inventory, and the variables would be "travel" instead of "config" (ONP used this way to "transport" some settings and the followers data to recreate them in the next map). I just think "inventory" because it's the most reliable actor to do this travelling thing, and besides, you can save the many games you want and everything should be intact.

But of course, although they are "easy", they still have some work to do (which variables, what to do exactly, flexibility to use it in more than one specific case, etc).

There might be more ways to do this, specially "more correct ways", but these 2 are the "easiest" one of sort to speak, although I never tried any of them myself (yet).
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Good enough already to know that there are ways to do that. At the end I would not care how it works. I guess I can continue now without worrying. :tongue:
About to be non-active