Running UT99 on Mac OS X

Discussions about UT99
Ionic

Running UT99 on Mac OS X

Post by Ionic »

Hey guys,

I'd like to play UT99, but have so far found no way to start it.

I am using a late-2009 MacBook Pro (3.06GHz C2D), thus an Intel-Mac with Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard.

Well, basically I have installed/hand crafted UT99 and installed this alpha version of the only Binary I could find for Mac OS X (the default binary is OS 9 only, so no luck here.)

However, UT99 won't start.

As far as I was able to find out, this very binary is in PEF format, which is executable by PPC Macs just fine, but Intel Macs with Rosetta cannot execute this binary format but instead require Mach-O.

Any idea on how one could make it work, though?

Best regards,

Mihai
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Re: Running UT99 on Mac OS X

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

Are you using the Mac version of UT99? I heard that one became useless after Mac OS X got released. If you have a Windows version though, you can try using WINE to install and play it, though I don't know how developed the Mac version of WINE is. On Linux the recommended way of playing UT99 is through WINE though.

WINE link, looks confusing
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing
Ionic

Re: Running UT99 on Mac OS X

Post by Ionic »

Hi,

jup, the OS X version. WINE is a pain in the ass so I'd rather not use it at all.

More interesting information: obivously PEF binaries actually are supported in Mac OS X, but only runable via open (that is vie launchd, not via bash directly.)

Though, some Carbon interface/function was changed and this is making this old app crashing... phew.

Best regards,

Mihai