CTF-1on1TheChamber

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

CTF-1on1TheChamber

Post by Acid.OMG »

New map I made today.
"The Duel Chamber" it's a mysterious dark chamber and once inside you cannot get out, well that is unless you die.
Please upload (once RB is back up =P).

http://www.filefront.com/16623755/CTF-1 ... hamber.zip

http://www.filefront.com/16623755/CTF-1 ... hamber.zip
[/Awesome]
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: CTF-1on1TheChamber

Post by Creavion »

Oh dear.. did you hold back all your maps until now? This will need time...

Point 1.
PlayrShp.utx is a FREAKING RETAIL package
So.. know ut`s retail packages! I mean from ut2004 upwards.. this can (although it should not) happen...

Point 2:
Actually I wanted to say something about the map.. but I dont find any beginning ... if you understand. Its TO much fun map for me (actually I like funmaps but they have to meet a certain standard ...)
So.. next map /thread...
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

I am not sure if I understand your comments?? I did hold back until now but not on purpose, I swear.

And what about playrshp txt file???? Are you saying that not everyone has it?
[/Awesome]
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Hmm, hard to find the right words without insult you or to offend your sensibilities. Fact is.. all your work here looks like from somebody with one week level design experience AT ALL. The question was: Do you really want to learn something about level design or do you prefer to keep posting maps like this. If yes, you should get help, if no then don`t wonder about lack of interest of maybe some .. possible not very nice comments about your stuff soon.

I was speaking about the included PlayrShp.utx texture package.. thats a retail package, already included with the installation of Unreal and UT... there is no need to include that.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

Oh yeah =P I wasn't sure but then if you look at my other maps I didn't include it because I found it on the default txt files on ut-files.com

Each one of the posted maps took me not more than a day. In the RX community, some of the most common maps are lacking in detail and experience. I am sure these maps will catch on. However while I can make better maps I still need allot of help with them.
[/Awesome]
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Acid.OMG wrote:Oh yeah =P I wasn't sure but then if you look at my other maps I didn't include it because I found it on the default txt files on ut-files.com

Each one of the posted maps took me not more than a day. In the RX community, some of the most common maps are lacking in detail and experience. I am sure these maps will catch on. However while I can make better maps I still need allot of help with them.
Good, this sounds you are interested to improve your skills. (:
DavidMs lighting tutorials were sadly not available anymore, but at least this one is still there:
http://members.fortunecity.com/bot40/Tu ... apetut.htm
Read it and try to understand. If you have any questions left, WE try to answer them.
About to be non-active
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

I think I am good with lighting? But that tutorial should help, I am not too good with architecture. Usually I forget what size it was and have to resort to morphing the objects and then it screws everything up
[/Awesome]
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Acid.OMG wrote:I think I am good with lighting? But that tutorial should help, I am not too good with architecture. Usually I forget what size it was and have to resort to morphing the objects and then it screws everything up
Acid, believe me on this: lighting is actually the most difficult thing to do in a map. Architecture is a basic thing next to lighting.
Basically, when you see those high quality maps around here and there, the secret is not exactly the architecture or the custom coding or actors or whatever, the lighting is what make those maps look really good, with more detail and atmospheric.

Lighting up a map doesn't resume up to make the map "visible" around. If that was the case, Epic wouldn't bother to build one of the most advanced lighting systems at the time for a game, they would just stuck to zone lighting (you can lit up a map without using a single light).

See those tutorials on lighting, and check out high quality maps. I know you won't make high quality maps for RX, but I promisse you they will improve their visuals and your techniques greatly.
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

I suppose but I do know allot about lightuing "even with atmosphere lighting". But I need tutorials on movers and architecture a lot more.
[/Awesome]
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Acid.OMG wrote:I suppose but I do know allot about lightuing "even with atmosphere lighting". But I need tutorials on movers and architecture a lot more.
I heavily depends what do you think what "good lighting skills" are. Normally you make progress in both architecture and lighting. Sry, but I just think you "slightly" misjudge yourself.
About to be non-active
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

I have not really used good lighting in any of my maps. But I know how to edit lighting to the extent of distance color, style and effects like fog.
[/Awesome]
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Forgive my rudeness, but what's with all these absolutely effortless shite maps you've been posting all of a sudden?
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

[did]Madis wrote:Forgive my rudeness, but what's with all these absolutely effortless shite maps you've been posting all of a sudden?
lol, ok guys, I guess we should stop that - at least for a while. He did not even read all the answers in his other thread... maybe he will understand now, where he sees that a "few" more users complain about his released stuff.
About to be non-active
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

This old debate again? This thread again?

Man, I think I'm seeing double of everything.
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Myth wrote:This old debate again? This thread again?

Man, I think I'm seeing double of everything.
Well, when I posted that I had some half a dozen unread threads under the mapping forum... Imagine my surprise after I was done sifting through that err... stuff.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile