zsz Clan - server requires you to install a file

Discussions about Servers
UptheMiddle
Novice

zsz Clan - server requires you to install a file

Post by UptheMiddle »

Has anybody visited this clans server? They require the installation of a file to scan your "UT files" to prevent hacking. I'm a bit suspicious, but that's just me.

Webpage: http://www.zszclan.com/UTDCv20c/UTDCv20c.htm
Server IP: 66.55.149.104:7777

From their webpage:
What is UTDC?

Unreal Tournament Damage Control (UTDC)

UTDC is an Anti-Cheat. It is designed to find and stop external hooks (aimbots, cheats, radars, etc) written in Windows native code. In order to do that, UTDC is also written in Windows native code. UTDC needs to install a .dll file in your Unrealtournament\System folder.
Rosco[CoF]
Average
Personal rank: Badges?

Re: zsz Clan - server requires you to install a file

Post by Rosco[CoF] »

Interesting. I wonder what if you are playing UT using Linux? Obviously then would not be using Windows code.
Consoles are schwag.
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

it checks files like the Engine.dll, core.dll for compromising edits, although UTDC is a pain in the ass it will not damage your PC or files in any way and cannot gain access or change anything on your PC.

it is an anticheat that has been part of UT for several years now.

you join a server with UTDC for first time and it will ask you to install then UT will shut down, when you load up again you can enter the server, if it finds you have corrupt files (can read false sometimes, kicking you for a hack that doesnt exist, most common reason being "memory corruption") it will remove you from the server and create a log. i despise UTDC and dont think it is anywhere near good enough to stop the hack/aimbot coders from producing the latest hook/aimbot/hack.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

If you are running Windows install UTDC. If you are running Linux DON'T install UTDC having UTDC in your directory while running Linux will crash your game if you try to jump onto a server, at least that's what happened to me that's why I still run UT in Windows (I have a dual-booted system).
Rosco[CoF]
Average

Post by Rosco[CoF] »

Lee_Stricklin wrote:I have a dual-booted system
What distro do you use? I've tinkered with Linux (LiveCD) in the past and really like Ubuntu, by I prefer the Kubuntu GUI better.
Consoles are schwag.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

Rosco[CoF] wrote:
Lee_Stricklin wrote:I have a dual-booted system
What distro do you use? I've tinkered with Linux (LiveCD) in the past and really like Ubuntu, by I prefer the Kubuntu GUI better.
I have Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) with the standard Gnome GUI and Compiz Fusion with a few plugins (I still haven't gotten 3D windows installed yet). I'd ditch Windows if it was possible to get all of my games to run on it. Know of any good emulators (other than: Wine, Cedega, and PlayOnLinux)?
Rosco[CoF]
Average

Post by Rosco[CoF] »

Lee_Stricklin wrote: Know of any good emulators (other than: Wine, Cedega, and PlayOnLinux)?
Not a single one actually. But I have heard Wine is on the verge of a 1.0 release finally.
Consoles are schwag.
UptheMiddle
Novice

Post by UptheMiddle »

Lots of helpful people on this website already! Thanks, guys.