Unreal Scripted Time Travel

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Superunknown II
Novice
Personal rank: Unknown Soldier

Unreal Scripted Time Travel

Post by Superunknown II »

Okay, so I was watching a YouTube video for the GTA4 Back to the Future Mod. Now, I know it's possible to send an object into limbo for a few minutes or longer even and have it spawn back in the game, of course, that already happens when players pick up weapons and they come back at intervals. But... (yeah, you knew this was coming) is it even theoretically possible to send an object or even a player to an earlier instance in the game (the past) via unreal script?
gopostal

Re: Unreal Scripted Time Travel

Post by gopostal »

I think it was AngelMapper that did this for 2k4. It was a total conversion mod that "rewound" time. Not sure if she ever finished it.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

how would you see this happening when you are always in "present time" ? For others to see it it will be no different from "real" time traveling. Which if it was possible should result in us having "visitors" to fix things etc. ?

Unreal time is a few things like ServerTine, game elapsed/remaining etc.... I see no way to spawn an actor backwards? Setting the respawntime to -50 maybe? :loool:

So what do you want to use it for? seeing a player ingame, teleport yourself 10 secs back in "time" and ambush the player? :tu:
Retired.
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Rachel's site: http://www.angelmapper.com/
She's a super dev and a really nice person.

The mod I was talking about:
http://download.beyondunreal.com/filewo ... etheus.exe
I kinda remember trying this but it was just...weird.

BTW Dane, good to see you posting.
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

I can see a way it would be possible, however absurdly impractical... Perhaps if one set up some kind of system to make saves of the game as it plays, and backload saves while making another way to load/save online (probably native edits for that) but that'd mean constantly creating new files, etc, and, welll, not even remotely practical unless you have a ginormous hard drive, considering Saves make a snapshot of EVERYTHING on the map, and the result would be making a file like that every second... It could kill your COMPUTER .-. Or perhaps some way of checking a players location on the map x amount of seconds ago, and then moving them back, like the unit in C&C: RA3 (Can't remember her name) but I think both would be fairly impractical (Im a n00b coder, so everything I just said could be a steaming pile too :ironic: ) So yeah, I don't think it'd be all that possible :nonono: Would be awesome if it was though :loool:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]