Can't see model from inside.

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Max]I[muS-X
Novice

Can't see model from inside.

Post by Max]I[muS-X »

I made a sphere that surrounds a player, but the texture is only visible from the outside (i.e. third person if the sphere is small enough). How can I change this? In NaliWeapons II there is a similar effect with a forcefield, and you can see the texture from the inside. I even tried exporting that model and using it in place of mine, and it still doesn't work. I also modelled the code in a similar fashion. Any ideas?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Can't see model from inside.

Post by Feralidragon »

What I did (and still do in models for that effect) was to set the polys to 2-sided.

A 3D model has only 1-sided polys, meaning they're visible from their actual "normal", from the inverted "normal" (the other side of the poly) it's simply always invisible. This happens in absolutelly all the 3D games and applications actually afaik.

In this case, you just have to set all the polys of your model to 2-sided, meaning that they will be visible from both angles, and for UT models, I use the program I have shown in this post of mine:
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34& ... 375#p25985

It's called UnrealFX and it's basically the solution you are seeking for your problem. :)
Max]I[muS-X
Novice

Post by Max]I[muS-X »

THANK YOU for the quick reply!! Much appreciated :D NaliWeapons was an awesome bit of code too.

Not to wear out my welcome, but on a somewhat related note, I have a sound for the charge of a weapon I'm making.

http://www.filefront.com/17624584/EqualizerCharge.wav

The volume seems fine when listening to it outside of UT, but when I hear it in-game, it is very quiet, even when I try to use sound programs to "max out" the volume and it starts to crackle. Any idea why?
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

When listening externally, you only hear the raw sound, while in UT, you get a "3D" effect of the sound, meaning that the sound played volume depends on your distance from it, and its actual volume ingame in its center.

Post here the code that makes your sound play, I will tell you which values you must change or add there to higher either the range or the volume.
Max]I[muS-X
Novice

Post by Max]I[muS-X »

Right now I have the sound set as the weapon's tension sound, similar to how the hammer charging sound is done.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

So basically you subclassed the Impact Hammer somehow? I ask this because this "Tension Sound" is only declared on that weapon.

This tension sound is the ambient sound, and in case of the Impact Hammer the volume value depends on the player's sound dampening. What you can do is simply check where the SoundVolume is modified in the code (SoundVolume=...), and modifiy it so it always stays at a certain value: 0-no sound, 255-max volume.
Max]I[muS-X
Novice

Post by Max]I[muS-X »

The sound volume is set at 255 and it's still pretty quiet compared to all the other sounds. I extracted those sounds and they don't seem to be any "louder" in any other media devices. Perhaps a feature of the sound is wrong? (I know there are some rules like no Stereo sound which I abided by)
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Post here the entire code from the class where your sound is played, I will try to check what may be wrong and fix it.
Max]I[muS-X
Novice

Post by Max]I[muS-X »

That is a lot of unnecessary code to look at.. What might actually be easier is just to rename this sound to one of the sounds in your existing (or future) mods and see if you can't make it as loud as the others. If you can, just tell me what you did to make it work. If it works right away, then obviously there's something on my end to work out.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

I eat code for breakfast, you know? :lol2:

Just kidding :tongue: , there's no problem if the code is colossal, I can find my way through it most of the times (I already did it when doing the vehicles, so...), so if you post it I can actually see if there's something that can make it louder already. But yes, you can always try to import the sound with the same name as sound from a pack of mine where the sound is good, and check if it gets good and on which one you tried so I can tell you what function it calls.

Yet, I think a first look at the code would be faster to solve your issue right now, if not, I have a sound editing program which I use myself for my stuff, and sometimes I need to raise the sound volume itself a bit to maximize the sound volume ingame so UT can give its max if needed.
Max]I[muS-X
Novice

Post by Max]I[muS-X »

Haha okay here it is.

Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Ok, just checked it (didn't take more than a minute, although I apreciated that worry on giving me more or less work regarding it, so thanks ^^ ).

Well, there's nothing wrong with the code and you should hear it well with full volume. The sound itself in another hand, well, it starts indeed quiter and goes louder and louder.

The only way to figure it out is do simple experiments by switching the sounds you hear good in game by that one, and check if there's any change.
Max]I[muS-X
Novice

Post by Max]I[muS-X »

Yeah that's what I did and it sounds fine with other sounds. That's why I was pretty sure that it's a sound file issue, but I don't know why it would be quieter. It sounds normal volume as the other sounds in windows media player for example.