spawning stuff

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Rakiayn
Masterful

spawning stuff

Post by Rakiayn »

I was wondering. If you spawn a trigger ingame, or a weapon which is not 'dropped' . will it mess up the bot pathing (or something else)?
since placing these actors in ued requires a rebuild to create the path network?
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: spawning stuff

Post by Creavion »

Rakiayn wrote:I was wondering. If you spawn a trigger ingame, or a weapon which is not 'dropped' . will it mess up the bot pathing (or something else)?
since placing these actors in ued requires a rebuild to create the path network?
Depends how you mean it. In case of a thing factory + spawn points: No (at least from what I know)
Otherwise: Well, dropped items are not connected to the path network, which needs to be rebuilt. At least UEngine 1 generates for each inventory item an inventory spot during Pathnetwork Rebuild which is at the end responsible for "bot-can-pickup-item". Without it the bot wont get it normally, unless he walks over it e.g through combat.

UT3: I know you might wonder now: DM-Heatray. I destroyed the Darkwalker and collected the Udamage and Berserk. I was shortly after that killed by a bot. With some "LUCK" - from the bots perspective he found the Udamage, the Berserk was close by, some less meters, but he did not collect it.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Rakiayn wrote:I was wondering. If you spawn a trigger ingame, or a weapon which is not 'dropped' . will it mess up the bot pathing (or something else)?
Theorically no. Bots will feel somewhat atracted to inventory (even spawned during the game), but it won't mess up the paths.

Like Creavion said, paths are stablished in the map pathing rebuilding, and some native placement of certain node actors specifically for inventory are added to each inventory location (InventorySpots), so adding a node, trigger or inventory on the fly is nothing you should not really worry about that much (actually is the other way around, is hard to replace inventory for instance and keep the original pathing if you're not carefull).
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

Might it be possible to manually place something that acts like an InventorySpot and then spawn the object on top of it? (Not an actually inventoryspot since Ued kills orphaned ones on rebuild) Or something like what BlackCheetah's vehicle mod does where it spawns invisible uncollidable Udamage's to attract bots to the vehicles?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]