Sandstorm

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Sandstorm

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

In my new desert syle map, I would like to have some special effects and one of them is something like a sandstorm, or atleast some sand blowing around. Now, my problem is, how to realize that? I already thought about moving fog, but as far as I know, that's not possible in UnrealTournament. And spawning each particle of the sand could be a bit to much for the engine, couldn't it?
I would be glad about some ideas ;)

EDIT: I just came up with using some sort of brown smoke, gonna test that out later. Ofcourse, suggestions still welcome ;)
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Sandstorm

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, "brown-yellow" smoke was my first thought as well, but make them huge and spawn only a few. They can have bUnlit=False so they get lit by the environment, and their ScaleGlow have to be quite low.

Then you just spawn a few (5 or so), and let them move as the "wind blows".
To make the overall effect more realistic, you can spawn some small particles (about 20 or 30) like some small dry stuff.

Anyway, this is my idea in case I did it myself, don't know how well this would look though.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Something like this I'd do in the HUD. It's not going to look right generated in the map unless it's beating the system to death with particles.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

if you draw it on the hud then i think it wouldnt be realistic if you faced a wall outside, and you see a sandstorm
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

I had to see that a real sandstorm isn't realizable and therefore I decided to 'only' use moving sand. I scripted a spawner which will spawn the sand for a certain direction and also modifies some other variables like the size and speed of it. The sand effect itself is just an animated, masked texture with little sand grains.

Doesn't look that amazing, but using more than a few of the spawners result in a pretty nice effect and fits perfectly into the atmosphere ;)

EDIT: You can check that out here
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Did you try what Feralidragon suggested?
Feralidragon wrote:Well, "brown-yellow" smoke was my first thought as well, but make them huge and spawn only a few. They can have bUnlit=False so they get lit by the environment, and their ScaleGlow have to be quite low.

Then you just spawn a few (5 or so), and let them move as the "wind blows".
To make the overall effect more realistic, you can spawn some small particles (about 20 or 30) like some small dry stuff.
That sounds pretty good to me.
Also, take a look at the map called DM-AMariner.
It has sheets of snow blowing/falling - not too bad.
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

>@tack!< wrote:if you draw it on the hud then i think it wouldnt be realistic if you faced a wall outside, and you see a sandstorm
True, you just do a trace to get depth of field (distance) and adjust the "sandstorm" accordingly. I've been thinking about this on the route this morning and I don't really see a good way to do it that won't heavily impact the server and won't look lame unless it's done simulated.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

JackGriffin wrote:
>@tack!< wrote:if you draw it on the hud then i think it wouldnt be realistic if you faced a wall outside, and you see a sandstorm
True, you just do a trace to get depth of field (distance) and adjust the "sandstorm" accordingly. I've been thinking about this on the route this morning and I don't really see a good way to do it that won't heavily impact the server and won't look lame unless it's done simulated.
If I may, I think you're all thinking too "in-depth" here, too "realistically" imho.

The best "low-end" realistic effect of a sandstorm I've ever saw it's done in LOZ-OOT (Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time) in a N64 game (something much older than even Unreal itself), so there's no reason to not be able to pull another in UT.

Simply put, they used many things so you "could feel" the wind. In a sandstorm the only sand you "may" ever see is the one that directly hits you, the rest is just "pieces of aparent smoke" and debris. Don't think about "sand", think about "clouds".

Take a look to this video: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/planet- ... storm.html
Also, I already saw someone at unrealsp making a very convincing "wind" effect in UT using giant smoke sprites with a very low scaleglow and moving at different speeds in the same direction, that could be done for sand as well.

As for server impact: spawn and render them from the HUD only directly (even if you have to set a globalDelta variable for Ticked events, I did that in NW3 and works like a charm with zero server impact from the effects), per player, like Jack sugested and very well.

Therefore:
Graphics: Nice if done right relative the sprites.
Server Impact: absolute zero guaranteed. Client gets the effect and manages it himself.

There are some things in the engine you have to look if you're doing it server-side, but when doing client-side and since it won't communicate with the server EVER, you have much more freedom for small details, but even so "not that much freedom" nonethless.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Also you could easily borrow one of the unused vars in zoneinfo and cause the storm to render in certain zones only.
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Best sandstorm I've seen was in DM-Azufron by Solaris - but that was ut2k4.
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"