Change server name

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
iloveut99
Skilled

Change server name

Post by iloveut99 »

Hello, what's the better way to change/get server name in uscript?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Change server name

Post by JackGriffin »

Me doesn't like where this is going.....
So long, and thanks for all the fish
iloveut99
Skilled

Post by iloveut99 »

JackGriffin wrote:Me doesn't like where this is going.....
What? Change my server name is also hacking/cheating now? Buddy if you don't want to help at least don't reply. I can feel clearly some paranoia now. :|
iloveut99
Skilled

Post by iloveut99 »

btw here is how do it for who is building some mod that needs this info:

/removed because it seems it can cause some harm to the community (I still don't see why, but I will believe in you)
Last edited by iloveut99 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

iloveut99 wrote:
JackGriffin wrote:Me doesn't like where this is going.....
What? Change my server name is also hacking/cheating now? Buddy if you don't want to help at least don't reply. I can feel clearly some paranoia now. :|
The problem is not "reading" it (not a problem at all there), but "changing" it dynamically through UScript is just something that can lead to really bad stuff (not hacking or cheating, but I can imagine some bad ways of using it, it can be used as badly as faking bots and other lame ways to manage or fake a server).

A server name should be changed through the "regular" way ONLY.

Not saying you will use it for bad things, I trust on your motives, however there's a small fact you should know: if UT didn't get "lamer" admin-wise, is because this kind of stuff isn't shown to public in forums and such, and since most "lamers" don't know or are lazy to find it out, simply opt to not do it and UT keeps still somewhat "healthy".

I will let this here, it's your responsability to make this kind of info public (it's not hidden I know, but this makes things much easier to lame admins as you had to ask it yourself), so from here I trully hope this dies there, but in case someone uses this kind of info for their own bad things, you know who posted it in the first place.
It's not paranoia, it's just some info shouldn't make their way to public this easilly. Think about that.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Yes, it has nothing to do with paranoia and everything to do with what Ferali touched upon.

Look, as a coder and developer you accept a certain responsibility as part of the group that is caretaker for the game. It's your job to do your part to protect what you can and make sure what you create only makes UT better. Because you are now asking the "how" of the game you will see things others people don't understand and know how to mold them into what you want in a mod. One thing you have to constantly ask yourself is "Can this by used in a negative way?"

This kind of leads back to the other writing-to-a-players-ut.ini-file discussion we had. It's not the writing that bothers me so much, it's sharing how to get that information back that I didn't like. It's only a small step from there to being able to return the values in say [UTMenu.UTConsole]. Go look at what's in there...You want to share that little section publicly? Once you show everyone how to return one value, they can then easily script a mod to return your entire ut.ini if you play on the server (and this has been done, I know. I have the mod).

So again it's not paranoia, it the simple fact that there is no need ever to change a server's name via script and sharing the how of doing it only can serve to hurt UT.
iloveut99
Skilled

Post by iloveut99 »

I removed it, I hate that fake players stuff too.

There are plenty good stuff that can be did with it although, like displaying current scores in the server name (like team caps in ctf).

I will be using it to add an optional tag to lms+.

\Edit

Thanks for the reply Jack. I really appreciate that. At least I can now understand why you don't want this public. Please try justify your messages before say things "Me doesn't like where this is going....." like I'm the worst hacker around.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Sent you a PM with some examples in how "bad" it could be used (3 examples to be exact).
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

In truth you are asking all the right questions and I can see great potential. Your thought processes are good and above all you are figuring things out for yourself with minimal input from others. Tenacity is one of the most important attributes of a developer. The really good stuff comes from people who won't quit trying to make it work, and you seem to be in that group. Keep it up. You actually remind me a bit of Ferali.

I never meant to imply you were anything but a little naive about what you were asking. We all go through this though as we learn. Privately I can share with you my "stolen code" moments of horror and I know several other coders here who have had the same happen. I was trying to save you some of the aggravation of that if possible.

I do indeed apologize if my post seemed out of place or offended you. It was not my intention at all. I see nothing but positive from you and I look forward to using what you make.
iloveut99
Skilled

Post by iloveut99 »

Yeah replied, that topic is finished.

I will take this thread although to ask another question what it is the best option to do something after the game ends (more precisely remove my tag from the server name in order to don't change the name in the ini file)?

\edit

Thanks for the new reply Jack. Yeah I am asking this questions just to do some good stuff (well at least not hackish), and I don't have a problem with code stolen at all. I mean I released all the mods that I have successful builded to now and all them have the code inside because I'm a fan of 'open code' actually. I hate that kind of people that try to hide his precious code even if it is something trivial. It seems there are actually scarce devs in ut comunnity so any new sources to people begin with is always good. There's the counter part although like you referred with using some code to harm the community, I will try hide/avoid that if I can.