UT99 Graphical over-haul

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

UT99 Graphical over-haul

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

For anybody that used my guide:
Diehard told me that the textures have been updated as of March 29 2008. THEY NOW COVER ALL S3TC TEXTURES FOUND ON UNREAL TOURNAMENT'S SECOND CD

For the purpose of making my life easier I've decided to direct everybody (I had three copies of this freakin' thing posted before I posted on here) to this guide which I can much more easily keep updated. Link here: http://www.unrealtexture.com/General/We ... ?f=23&t=19
Last edited by Lee_Stricklin on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Re: UT99 Graphical over-haul

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

<Posted for the purpose of putting this on the top of recent topics.>
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Good job, I wish I could try that out, but I am "a litlte bit" under the requirements :roll:
But whatever thank you for that, I think it was a lot of work to summarize that all.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

Creavion wrote:Good job, I wish I could try that out, but I am "a litlte bit" under the requirements :roll:
But whatever thank you for that, I think it was a lot of work to summarize that all.
Damn. That sucks. I haven't tried it on a lower-end system, but the pages I posted links to said those were the requirements. I'm right at the border-line (Pentium 4 HT, 512 RAM, 256 MB video card) and I don't have any problems running this. The FPS usually jumps into the triple-digits and gets noticable slowdowns when there's action going on. For those reasons I put a cap on the FPS limit (I try to keep it at 25) and I don't get any slowdowns. Oh and that guide was originally just a replacement for something I posted on my clan's forums since the last thing I posted was a mess with links that expired (I uploaded the textures from my UT install since they were higher-res than what anybody had at the time). All I had to do for this post was copy and paste (screenshots excluded) off of something I already typed. I don't know if it is possible to get this to run on a lower-end system but if you want to try I would recommend: lowering your resolution a little bit and setting your FPS limit to something really low (25 is acceptable and anything over 60 is INSANE).
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

<Please delete this reply>
Ongbak
Novice

Post by Ongbak »

Looks really nice. :tu:
But online my enemies are skating...
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

Ongbak wrote:Looks really nice. :tu:
But online my enemies are skating...
Yeah... We have a texture pack for servers that eliminates this problem. We just got this cranked out so it might take a while for ALL servers to be UTRP ready. If you can please get me the email addresses (displayed in UT server browser) of the servers you play on and I'll link the admins to where they need to go to get their updates. Also it's a possibility that someone will work on a client-side fix. For now I recommend using the textures from CD 1 (make sure you backup your UTRP ones somewhere) if most of the servers you play give you the glitch. If you have any more comments or questions you can either post here, post on Unreal Texture, or email (my email address is posted on my guide) me.
Ongbak
Novice

Post by Ongbak »

There's another problem, my weapons looks on some servers strange..
Screenshot:
http://www.pictureupload.de/originals/p ... -48-04.jpg
How can I fix this?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Ongbak wrote:There's another problem, my weapons looks on some servers strange..
Screenshot:
http://www.pictureupload.de/originals/p ... -48-04.jpg
How can I fix this?
LOL, is that the standard rocket launcher? It seems to me that the issue here is the weapon offset position.
But that happens with these textures activated or what?
Ongbak
Novice

Post by Ongbak »

That's a problem with the render.
With standart UT D3D the weapons look normal.
But with D3D8 or Opengl 3.4 the weapons look strange... (only on some servers like multiplay.co.uk)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Ongbak wrote:That's a problem with the render.
With standart UT D3D the weapons look normal.
But with D3D8 or Opengl 3.4 the weapons look strange... (only on some servers like multiplay.co.uk)
If so, sorry, don't know how to solve that, but I think it's some setting that you have to enable/disable in the advanced settings of the render... which one, don't know.

But if it happens only in a few servers, that might be some sort of a mutator problem that is activated in those servers, and that is affecting your render.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

I experienced that same problem. Wierd. I thought that was a server-side issue. People were chatting about rendering problems when I was doing some PUGging.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

The dissapering weapon is caused by the z-buffer. To understand how z-buffer works you have to understand how the computer draws in 3D.
In simple terms what it does that it determines wheter a model or a polygon is far behind another object or is close blocking other objects. And it also determines how to draw them.
Now this is all cool and nice, but the problem lies in it's precision. Older games like UT have lower precision z-buffering than new ones. This means that if 2 polygons are intersecting then you can see a line which is half polygon nr1 and half polygon nr2.
There are a few ways to increase precision. That is by lowering it's range.
It works like this.For example from 0.05 units to 4096 units. So what is closer than 0.05 units is cut off and isn't drawn. By dereasing this range the precision goes up. And stuff are less likely to be visible inside other stuff.

This was I know for sure.

And I think that there is a mod, some server mod i think, not weapon mod, which modifies this z-buffer range. It tweaks it so that weapons are still visible and precision goes up. The problem is that they were fine-tuned for the standard d3d driver. Newer d3d drivers use much more advanced, and precise z-buffering which don't need more precision. And I think that a mod messes up the newer driver's z-buffer range.

lol kinda advanced, for those who don't understand a bit, there is a conflict between a mod and the renderer.
(well, I have to know these computer graphics stuff)
Dare
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 God

Post by Dare »

It says on your guide that it needs a single procesor so does that mean it won't work for quad core procesor?
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Unreal Tournament works fine with latest Intel Quad Core processors.