One-way pathnoding

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Ginko
Average
Personal rank: Curmudgeon

One-way pathnoding

Post by Ginko »

Howdy doods,

I'm trying to tell the bots that kickers are not meant to be dropped down upon. Does anyone know the correct setting for one-way paths? I tried making all three (LE-LC-LE) one way, then set the directional to true and rotated each node such that the arrow is pointing in the direction I want them to walk. But they still want to jump down on the kicker, which was designed to go up only. :roll:

It looks like they're having fun on the trampoline.

I did open up DM-Morpheus and copied the LEs and LC from that lower area, but they still are using the path two way.

Does only one lift exit need to be one way? Also, my LC is a JumpSpot, set at the point where I want the kicker to land the bot... is that correct?

Thanks in advance,

ginko
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: One-way pathnoding

Post by FraGnBraG »

I think the easiest thing you can do is to use the SWJumpad actor in place of Unreal kicker actor jump pad setups. You should at least try it out first (you won't be sorry). These SWJumppads are pretty simple to use and can be made one-way by virtue of the fact it is actually a type of teleporter :)
You used to get it from extremeWoot.com download, but that link does not appear to be working right now. So next best thing is to just gank it from an existing map - you could, for example, load my map CTF-XMC-AlphaWoot into the editor, then open your map next (without closing the editor) and then open the actor browser -> teleporter, find SWJumpad, and add it to your map. Then Ctrl-W as many as you need. Revelation's recent map DM-AngelDust also uses SWJumpad, as do many other maps. If you do decide to give it a try just post back here with any questions etc. and we'll get you up and running with it :)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Ginko
Average

Post by Ginko »

Thanks Frag.

There are also a couple of regular jump spots I intended to be one way, but sure enough the bots are using the translocator to get back. For instance, I put a water pool outside and the bots jump right in. But sometimes they hop in the water at ground level and try a throw upwards. Can't seem to get through to them. :noidea

Before I sub out the kickers I want to learn how the one way path was meant to be used. I'm very close to just saying screw it and let the bots just do whatever, but there should be a solution to this... ?

Thanks again for your help, brother.

ginko
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

I'm not sure if you've looked at this yet - http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Pat ... nslocators...

This tut is written by a buddy of mine from early days - IronBlayde - I think this describes the "nature" of the actors you're using - *however* you're situation could be a bit more unique than what's discussed in the tut. so likely you'll have to continue to experiment, i think ...

As for water, most of the time I find chaining up series of LE-LC-LE work well for "water traffic", at least more predictably than placing pathnodes, but again these require a bit of experimenting to get the bots "tuned" to swimming properly to their goals...

Another thing, when testing bots the "verbose" command is handy - you select a bot and type that command in the console (i think you can even bind it, although i've not done that) - the useful part is the bot is always showing you his/her current "goal". Could be helpfull when making adjustments to get a bot using a troublesome jumpspot.

Good luck and Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Ginko
Average

Post by Ginko »

Nice tut. I think that's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks again.

g