Bloebs Projects

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Bloeb
Experienced

Bloebs Projects

Post by Bloeb »

About myself

I think it's about time I introduce my self and my UT-projects. My name is Jerome a.k.a. Bloeb. I'm 23 years old and I live in the Netherlands. I've been playing UT since the release and I enjoy the many different gametypes. The last 3 years I've primarily focussed on BunnyTrack. This UT-gametype/mod is about completing an obstacle-course. I've created a few maps and some modifications for BT. Hope you enjoy them, any feedback is appreciated :)

BunnyTrack Maps

I've made a video to show 3 of my maps. The quality of the video is a bit poor, but shows the gameplay pretty well.
video: http://www.own3d.tv/video/97221/BloebMaps. I'll post the screenshots a bit later, because I can only add 5 attachments per post.

BT-Nevermore (first map in the video)
Nevermore is the map I'm most proud of. I paid a lot of attention to the layout, architecture and the flow in this map.
The texturing and the lighting appear to be a bit raw and unpolished in some places.

Download: BT-Nevermore-v2 (i4Games)

BT-TabulaRasa (second map in the video)
I made this map for a mapping-competition and to promote my NWBT/BTME-modifications. The theme is based on the UT2004-map DM-1on1-Roughinery.

Download: BT-TabulaRasa (i4Games)

BT-TechDiff (third map in the video)
Technical Difficulties is certainly the right word for this map. I wanted to be creative and think of completely new obstacles.
It also shows the many possibilities of the NWBT/BTME-modifications.

Download: BT-TechDiff-v3 (i4Games)

BT-Bleargh
Bleargh is basically a compilation of parts I couldn't use in other maps.
I decided to add obstacles which require an ImpactHammer and a Redeemer.
This lead to the development of the NWBT/BTME-modifications. I didn't pay any attention to the visual stuff.

Download: BT-Bleargh-v4 (i4Games)

BT-Incinerated
Incinerated was the first BT-map that I made. I took a long break from mapping and had to relearn all the basics.

Download: BT-Incinerated (i4Games)

BT-Pannenkoek
I made this map when I was bored. The visuals aspect is quite poor, but the gameflow is excellent. Probably my most popular map.

Download: BT-Pannenkoek (i4Games)

BT-Aftermath
Aftermath was my first serious attempt at creating a quality-map. I used the famous, but unfortunately overused HourIndus texture-pack.

Download: BT-Aftermath (i4Games)

BunnyTrack Mapping Enhancements

BTME is a modification for Unreal Tournament to enhance BunnyTrack-maps. It provides mappers with the possibility to configure weapons, ammo, projectiles, objectives and messages. The whole set of features is listed below.

Features:
* The BTME_Mutator is compatible with any Arena-mutator (e.g. the instagib-mutator).
* The BTME_Mutator provides the possibility to load and configure other mutators (e.g. the RocketX-mutator).
* The BTME_Mutator provides the possibility to unload unwanted mutators (e.g. ZeroPing variants and BTInsta).
* The BTME_Mutator provides support for AntiBoost and AntiKill.
* The BTME_Mutator provides the possibility to adjust the default-weapon.
* The BTME_Mutator provides the possibility to configure Actors (e.g. Weapons, Ammo and Objectives).
* The BTME_Mutator provides the possibility to configure Projectiles.
* The BTME_Mutator provides the possibility to configure an enhanced HUD in order to show objectives.
* The BTME_Mutator removes weapons from the Default Inventory (e.g. the Translocator and the Enforcer).
* The BTME_InventoryConfigurationTrigger provides the possibility to adjust a players Inventory.
* The BTME_InventoryRequirementsTrigger provides the possibility to trigger events depending on a players Inventory.
* The BTME_ImpactHammer replaces the standard ImpactHammer.
* The jumpgain and damage for the BTME_ImpactHammer are adjustable.
* The BTME_UT_FlakCannon replaces the standard UT_FlakCannon.
* The BTME_UT_Eightball replaces the standard UT_Eightball.
* BTM_ZoneInfo provides support for MultiSkyBoxes.
* BTME_ExplodingWall provides support for retriggerable ExplodingWalls.
* BTME_Objective provides the possibility to configure pickup objectives.
* BTME_ObjectiveTrigger provides the possibility to configure triggered objectives.
* BTME_PlayerKicker provides the possibility to kick players depending on their Inventory.
* BTME_Teleporter provides the possibility to teleport players depending on their Inventory.
* BTME_MessageTrigger provides the possibility to configure enhanced Messages.
* BTME_ProjectileSpawner provides the possibility to configure and spawn projectiles.

More information and feedback:
Topic on BT-Match

Download-link (includes instructions and a demo-map):
BTME_v1(MegaUpload)

Texture Aligning Tool

I've always had trouble aligning textures on circular brushes. There're some tools/solutions, but none of them worked for me. So instead I made this small tool to help me out. I guess it could be useful for others as well.

How it works:
1. Save the code as a HTML-file
2. Open the HTML-file in a browser
3. Set the input-parameters (sides, radius, scale)
4. Click on the calc-button
5. Copy the command
6. Open UnrealEd
7. Make a circular brush (with the same sides and radius) and apply a texture (with the same scale)
8. Select all surfaces that you want to align
9. Apply the command
10. Deselect the most left surface (or right in some cases) .
11. Apply the command again
12. Repeat untill all the surfaces are aligned

Code: Select all

<title>UnrealEd - Texture Alignment</title>
<script type="text/javascript">

var pi = 3.14159265;
var method = 0;

function change_method(index )
{
   method = index;
}

function trigo_func(num)
{
   if(method>0)
      return Math.sin(num);
   else
      return Math.tan(num);
}

function calculate_panning()
{
   var sides = document.getElementById('cp_sides').value;
   var radius = document.getElementById('cp_radius').value;
   var scale = document.getElementById('cp_scale').value;

var surface_width = 2*radius*trigo_func(pi/(sides*scale));

document.getElementById('cp_surface_width').value = surface_width;
   document.getElementById('cp_command').value = "POLY TEXPAN U=" + surface_width;
   document.getElementById('cp_command').select();
}

function calculate_radius()
{
   var sides = document.getElementById('cr_sides').value;
   var width = document.getElementById('cr_width').value;
   var scale = document.getElementById('cr_scale').value;

var radius = (width/sides)/(2*trigo_func(pi/(sides*scale)));

var cr_radius = document.getElementById('cr_radius');
   cr_radius.value = radius;
   cr_radius.select();
}

function calculate_scale()
{
   var sides = document.getElementById('cs_sides').value;
   var width = document.getElementById('cs_width').value;
   var radius = document.getElementById('cs_radius').value;

var scale = (2*radius*trigo_func(pi/sides))*sides/width;

var cs_scale = document.getElementById('cs_scale')
   cs_scale.value = scale;
   cs_scale.select();
}
</script>

<h1>UnrealEd - Texture Alignment</h1>

method:
<select onChange="change_method(this.selectedIndex)">
<option selected value="opt_circumscribed">circumscribed polygon</option>
<option value="opt_inscribed">inscribed polygon</option>
</select>

<h2>Calculate surface width</h2>
<p>
sides: <input type="text" id="cp_sides"><br>
radius: <input type="text" id="cp_radius"><br>
scale: <input type="text" id="cp_scale"><br>
<input type="button" value="calc" onClick="calculate_panning()"><br>
surface width: <input type="text" id="cp_surface_width" value=""><br>
command: <input type="text" id="cp_command" value=""><br>

<h2>Calculate radius</h2>
<p>
sides: <input type="text" id="cr_sides"><br>
scale: <input type="text" id="cr_scale"><br>
texture width: <input type="text" id="cr_width"><br>
<input type="button" value="calc" onClick="calculate_radius()"><br>
radius: <input type="text" id="cr_radius" value=""><br>

<h2>Calculate scale</h2>
<p>
sides: <input type="text" id="cs_sides"><br>
texture width: <input type="text" id="cs_width"><br>
radius: <input type="text" id="cs_radius"><br>
<input type="button" value="calc" onClick="calculate_scale()"><br>
scale: <input type="text" id="cs_scale" value=""><br>

<!-- by Jerome Bos -->
Topic on BT-Match
Last edited by Bloeb on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bloeb
Experienced

Re: Bloebs Projects

Post by Bloeb »

Screenshots of BT-Nevermore:
BloebNevermore1.jpg
BloebNevermore2.jpg
BloebNevermore3.jpg
Screenshots of BT-TechDiff:
BloebTechDiff1.jpg
BloebTechDiff2.jpg
Last edited by Bloeb on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

Screenshots of BT-TabulaRasa:
BloebTabulaRasa1.jpg
BloebTabulaRasa2.jpg
BloebTabulaRasa3.jpg
Screenshots of BT-Bleargh:
BloebBleargh1.jpg
BloebBleargh2.jpg
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

Screenshots of BT-Aftermath:
BloebAftermath1.jpg
BloebAftermath2.jpg
BloebAftermath3.jpg
Screenshots of BT-Incinerated:
BloebIncinerated1.jpg
BloebIncinerated2.jpg
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

Work in Progress:
BloebOutpost1.jpg
BloebOutpost2.jpg
BloebOutpost3.jpg
BloebWIP1.jpg
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Owke... that WIP thingy looks awesome!

But BT with normal weapons? cool
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

VERY Nice!!! :gj:
Convert a few fitting ones to DM that would work for my server and that would be REALLY Cool indeed! :tu:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Not everything is suitable as DM map...
The lava map has some interesting architecture concepts, however the lighting is really not pleasing. (and although they are lamps it does not seem they emit any lighting at all). However, old map, finished map.

BT-Bleargh: The name fits ^^. I would say thats an even older map?

BT-Aftermath: Would have only needed a solid ceiling construction and maybe some more tuning with lighting.

Your current map: Rock faces needs to be scaled up, to small! Architecture looks promising.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

GenMoKai wrote:Owke... that WIP thingy looks awesome!

But BT with normal weapons? cool
NWBT didn't get much attention in the past, because admins had to configure their servers specifically. With the NWBT/BTME-mod admins don't have to do anything. The mod is loaded from the maps and basically unloads all unwanted mutators (e.g. InstaGib). Damage from weapons/projectiles can be configured as well.
Hook wrote:VERY Nice!!! :gj:
Convert a few fitting ones to DM that would work for my server and that would be REALLY Cool indeed! :tu:
Thanks. I once tried to convert the endroom of BT-Nevermore into a 1on1 DM-map, but the result was dissapointing. I've played some conversion-maps (DM to CTF, CTF to DM or CTF/DM to BT), but it just doesn't work very well. Different gametypes require different layouts.
Creavion wrote: The lava map has some interesting architecture concepts, however the lighting is really not pleasing. (and although they are lamps it does not seem they emit any lighting at all). However, old map, finished map.
Do you mean BT-TabulaRasa? What's unpleasing about the lighting and what would you suggest to improve it?
Creavion wrote: BT-Bleargh: The name fits ^^. I would say thats an even older map?
Lol, it's actually not an old map, but I didn't pay much attention to the visuals. I just put some unused parts together, redid the texturing and added some lights.
Creavion wrote: BT-Aftermath: Would have only needed a solid ceiling construction and maybe some more tuning with lighting.
What do you mean by 'solid ceiling construction' and where in the map would you put it?
Creavion wrote: Your current map: Rock faces needs to be scaled up, to small! Architecture looks promising.
You're right. The rock-textures still need to be aligned (as far as that's possible).

Thanks all for the feedback. I probably won't change my finished maps, but I'll take any criticism into consideration for my current projects. 8)
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Dont take it to serious now. ^^
BT-TabulaRasa:
But if you want: The lamps on the wall dont look they would emit any light at all, as like they would be turned off, it looks a little bit like zonelight.

ceiling construction, something like that?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2325/214 ... 422c_o.jpg
Only an idea, otherwise its good.

And welcome again. I am not inured to that somebody accepts critique that lol.. happily. Like I said I also would not change those finished maps either, so its perfectly OK if you try to consider that the next time.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

Creavion wrote:Dont take it to serious now. ^^
BT-TabulaRasa:
But if you want: The lamps on the wall dont look they would emit any light at all, as like they would be turned off, it looks a little bit like zonelight.
I know what you mean, it's a bit tricky though. Maps with hard lighting usually look too dark in software-render mode. That's why I turn up the zone-brightness in my maps to even it with the other renderers. I might have overdone it a bit with this map. With my new project I've already made this better and I've added some coronas (and lens-flares) to make it more interesting.
Creavion wrote: And welcome again. I am not inured to that somebody accepts critique that lol.. happily. Like I said I also would not change those finished maps either, so its perfectly OK if you try to consider that the next time.
I usually only get feedback about the obstacles in my maps, not about the architecture and other visual aspects. I think good feedback is very important and more mappers should appreciate it. ;)
Fuzz_Ball
Experienced
Personal rank: Harmless

Post by Fuzz_Ball »

Creavion wrote:Dont take it to serious now. ^^
BT-TabulaRasa:
Like he said, Don't take it too serious now!
I'd have to say your comand of lighting is very good and that's what catches my eye the most about your work.

Keep up the good work! :rock:

This makes me want to take up BT (much as I hate repeatedly falling off of tiny perches into the slime, lava & acid )
* * * Image * * *
Raylen
Average
Personal rank: BunnyTracker

Post by Raylen »

Hiya, I know it's a slightly old thread, but there we go. As a BT player/mapper I've always been a fan of your maps. Particularly Pannenkoek, which I think is great fun. However, I do find them sometimes a little barren in terms of the architecture and lighting, for example, some of the larger rooms in Aftermath (which I played through offline just yesterday) and Nevermore, although I know you had a number of issues with the latter.

I think if I could set you a project/challenge (feel free to ignore, lol), it would be to create another smaller-scale map such as Pannenkoek, but to really focus on the architecture/lighting throughout the map, and see what you can achieve. This then enables you to learn new skills and techniques which can be applied to larger projects. Just a thought, anyway!

Oh and another "classic" BT map would be nice, rather than NWBT (this is personal preference, I never really played/enjoyed NW) :)
Thanks in advance for answering the above question!
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

Fuzz_Ball wrote: Keep up the good work! :rock:

This makes me want to take up BT (much as I hate repeatedly falling off of tiny perches into the slime, lava & acid )
Thanks and you can always start with the easyer BT-maps.
Raylen wrote:Hiya, I know it's a slightly old thread, but there we go. As a BT player/mapper I've always been a fan of your maps. Particularly Pannenkoek, which I think is great fun. However, I do find them sometimes a little barren in terms of the architecture and lighting, for example, some of the larger rooms in Aftermath (which I played through offline just yesterday) and Nevermore, although I know you had a number of issues with the latter.
Thanks, although I don't share your opinion in regard to architecture. Could you point out some specifics or explain what's missing?
Raylen wrote: I think if I could set you a project/challenge (feel free to ignore, lol), it would be to create another smaller-scale map such as Pannenkoek, but to really focus on the architecture/lighting throughout the map, and see what you can achieve. This then enables you to learn new skills and techniques which can be applied to larger projects. Just a thought, anyway!

Oh and another "classic" BT map would be nice, rather than NWBT (this is personal preference, I never really played/enjoyed NW) :)
I don't see any challenge in creating smaller-scale insta-BT-maps. I would like to explore new possibilities and create some unique maps. Most insta-BT-maps are just different combinations of the same obstacles with slight variations. NWBT has given me the possibility to be more creative in terms of obstacles.

Also, I got the feeling that you haven't given NWBT a proper chance (as a player). The number of NWBT-maps is very limited afterall. ;)
Raylen
Average
Personal rank: BunnyTracker

Post by Raylen »

Look at the first screen from Aftermath. I just find it perhaps a bit empty. I can't say what I think is missing, or how to fix it, and it's always a problem when you want to have large rooms. It's an issue that I also have with my own maps...it's as though I want the space to be used (mainly the walls), but I don't quite know how best to use it. Here's a large room I made, and I think the same issue applies:

I don't have anything in my Photobucket that really illustrates the point I'm trying to make. The level of detail I'd like to aim for (and I like to see in all maps really) is something like this, although the room itself is considerably smaller:

Anyway, I'm sorry it's not particularly useful criticism. On a lighter note, I played through Krank today, and it's quite fun :D
Thanks in advance for answering the above question!