Flag carry time Limit

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Flag carry time Limit

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

i was thinking is it possible to make a script that stop players from holding the flag in CTF for to long in sever matches.
A time limit like 1.30mins and then it kills the player with the flag and the returns the flag back to the base.
:help:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Flag carry time Limit

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah, wouldn't be too hard.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman

This sounds like a good thing for me to start my first code from scratch.(have done some small mutators)
I will have a go at it and let u know if i have any luck.

note; if i dont reply for a bit its due to exams and stuff coming up :( :thudown:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

If you want some help, feel free to add me to messenger. When a new coder wants to learn how to do something, they go to the front of the line in my "People to help out". This won't be a hard mod to do. A lot will depend on what type of CTF match you play and what types of options you wish to add. Do you kill the carrier or just return the flag? Stuff like that.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman

@JackGriffin
That sound like a good idea it would be nice to have some help to boost my skill with unreal script.
The mod will return the flag to the base after 1.30mins and is for basic CTF matches.
it will send a message to the player "Flag carry Time limit exceded" and will take away 10points from the player
Maybe it would also return the flag if they fake death so this way they cant cheat the mod.

please post some ideas if u have some.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

instead you get killed what about you get blindfolded ?? ...or get kicked around in the Map...
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman

papercoffee wrote:instead you get killed what about you get blindfolded ?? ...or get kicked around in the Map...
That blindfolded idea sounds better that would be more annoying for the player with flag.

maybe should do one that kicks and one that blindfolds.

could even do one that makes the screen upside down.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I've done stuff like this and players will not play it. If you screw with a player it needs to be something that resets them without killing them or adds something they can't control but doesn't affect them directly like a beacon or sound they would emit, or even an arrow that pops up showing where they are. You don't know the requests I've gotten to remove the Titan shake and spin from the player view because players hate having their views adjusted. Even the reddish tinge on the alt-guided redeemer has been brought up. If you "blind" them in any way it will be the kiss of death for the mod.

If I wasn't so damn engrossed in Portal2 I'd consider doing this. It's not going to be hard to create and iCTF is still pretty fun stuff.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman

What if the player lights/glows up more so it make it easier to find him/her.Or the player with the flag beeps so you can get a clue to were the player is.

or is this still heading for a mod that no 1 will use. :noidea
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah, anything that makes it harder for them to hide but doesn't directly affect them as a player. Surprisingly it's a very tough balance to strike and I learned these lessons the hard way. You can give a player 3000 points an SSR blast in MonsterHunt but if you take 5 points away for killing a cow they will dislike that intensely. It's just the principle of the "give-back" that they hate. This is also why stuff like "negative relics" or "negative pickups" don't get play in many servers. I've made stuff for Invasion RPG that was along these lines and it was just loathed. People always asked to have it removed. Cursed weapons (having less damage), minus artifacts (meaning they do a negative effect like slow you down), even a monster called "googler" that robbed you of weapons on each hit were all removed eventually.

It kind of amazed me because I thought it added a nice balance. Some lessons you just learn....