strange hiding

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Cemini
Novice

strange hiding

Post by Cemini »

Added some basic botsupport to a map which had none.

Another thing is this strange phenomenon:

ImageImageImage

Vials & Shock explo disappear sometimes / when viewing from some angle.

Is this fixable?
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: strange hiding

Post by GenMoKai »

Did you rebuild the map agian? (that "build all" button, that mostely fix everything)
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

In most cases those are signs of HOMs or ICHs, they can be very very small or not even obvious, but if you see something like this you can expect they are close by.

And Gen, about Build All: be very careful with this, even if you use the default config, its somehow not the same as with normal rebuilds (through clicking on the buttons).
I picked DM-Turbine as example
Nodes before any rebuild: 4125
Normal Geo Rebuild trough clicking on the "build Geometry" button: 4446
Geo Rebuild through Build All (excluding Lighting and Pathes) and default config: 3867

I have never really dealed with those settings, the only thing I know about, you can define if you are ok with more nodes (lesser risk of bsp problems MAYBE?) or with lesser amount of nodes (in return you might get more bsp problems), like I said, I dont know very well about this. Most try to ignore to Build All.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you look at the map in BSP cuts view and see a hot cut running along where your occlusion is occurring it may be best to move the vials if you can't alter the BSP. Try moving some non-attached BSP around if you can, I've had profound improvements with moving just a skybox away from a hot area. Check your brush alignments up too, look at the vertexes to double check none are off. Moving stuff a single unit can (at times) completely rework your BSP tree and clear (or create) many problems.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Cemini
Novice

Post by Cemini »

Hm I did rebuild & looked at http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-ue1ue2-bsp/ but no help from that.
BSP cuts look very good.

I spawned vials all over the map and it seems like all? perpendicular walls made by (the big) subtracting brushes hide things.
Cemini
Novice

Post by Cemini »

Seems to be a driver problem (though latest) - but map is not matching requirements anyway.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Cemini wrote:Seems to be a driver problem (though latest) - but map is not matching requirements anyway.
Upload your map and let me take a quick look at it, maybe I will find something.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.