stop image dropping

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
(G)ott
Average
Personal rank: bullet eater

stop image dropping

Post by (G)ott »

Hi,

does someone know how to stop image dropping or is there already a mod created to fix this?

EDIT: i forgot to say, that i mean for UT99.

greetz (G)ott
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Re: stop image dropping

Post by Hook »

One way is to lower your Minimum Frames Per Second (fps) threshold.
In your UT Preferences.
What this does is to lower the threshold at which UT starts to drop images during game-play, if it has to, to hold that fps.

OR - If there is a mod to do this - someone else know?
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
(G)ott
Average

Post by (G)ott »

I dont know if you mean the same..
I mean for examble, if you crouch on a edge at the top of a building, then it can happen, that your skin is fall down and any player will see you at the bottom, but your in real all the time at the top. The same is with teleporters, you crouch in a start-tele point and the target teleporter is in the air then you will not fall down, only your "image" at the bottom will all see, except you.

I think its a problem to send an player the real location of a other player.

greetz (G)ott
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

OK - I think I know what you are talking about.
There were posts about this and maybe a fix too.
It was that teleport or mover (lift) problem where you saw a false image of a player when they crouched.
Does anybody have the link to that post? (or the fix if any?)

EDIT: See Jack's (aka gopostal) post below... :tu:
Last edited by Hook on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Wah!? ...ok I thought this was a bug in one of my maps (DM-Gangwar-Towers) ...other player could see me down on the bottom but if they aim and lock a rocket the projectile was flying straight up to my real position ...the other weapons doesn't work.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

From the readme:
TheDanes No Teleport Image Drop mutator.

By TheDane, thedane_ut@hotmail.com , http://www.thedanesjoint.com

What is this?:

This mutator fixes the bug in the engine that is causing players to still hang in the teleport if they crouch into it, if the teleport is placed up high above the ground the players image will drop to the floor while the player actualy is still inside the teleporter up above. When other players see the player on the ground their bullets will just pass right through the image without causing any damage to the player. You can still shoot the player if you know where the teleport is or if it's visible, but you wont see the player inside the teleport, but your shots will cause damage to the player if you hit him/her.
DanesNoTeleportDrop.zip
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
So long, and thanks for all the fish
(G)ott
Average

Post by (G)ott »

JackGriffin wrote:From the readme:
TheDanes No Teleport Image Drop mutator.

By TheDane, thedane_ut@hotmail.com , http://www.thedanesjoint.com

What is this?:

This mutator fixes the bug in the engine that is causing players to still hang in the teleport if they crouch into it, if the teleport is placed up high above the ground the players image will drop to the floor while the player actualy is still inside the teleporter up above. When other players see the player on the ground their bullets will just pass right through the image without causing any damage to the player. You can still shoot the player if you know where the teleport is or if it's visible, but you wont see the player inside the teleport, but your shots will cause damage to the player if you hit him/her.
DanesNoTeleportDrop.zip

Thanks, but this is the same like TeleporterFix103 by Defrost.
You will only kicked out of the teleporter. I need something where the player is still inside teleporter and other players will see him inside too. And in this mods it will only fix teleporters, but i need a mod that fix also the problem when you crouch on a edge.

greetz (G)ott
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

That has to do with relevancy Gott. You'll need to force all players to always be relevant and it will cure that. You will pay a price in lag though.
(G)ott
Average

Post by (G)ott »

Ok, i know what you mean, but is it possible to make a player only relevant if he is visible for me and when i know that he is dropping a image (or crouching)?
I think this could reduce the lag, because not anyone is visible for me, so not all players are relevant.

greetz (G)ott
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I've never tried it but the short answer would be no. Even if you coded in something that altered relevance depending on something situational then that relevance remains for several seconds even after is determined not to be relevant.
It's kind of confusing but in determining relevancy the check isn't as simple as yes or no. If something is deemed important to you then it loses that importance it does not immediately become !IsRelevant. It's better for something to have a global setting rather than for it to flip-flop because it's just that much more the game must compute constantly.
I did try this as a fix for the hidden monsters in MH and it was a dismal failure. The server crashed from the forced setting. However I have seen mods where playerpawns were forced to be always relevant and those did work.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

(G)ott wrote:Ok, i know what you mean, but is it possible to make a player only relevant if he is visible for me and when i know that he is dropping a image (or crouching)?
I think this could reduce the lag, because not anyone is visible for me, so not all players are relevant.

greetz (G)ott
The engine itself already works that way, that's the whole base of replication relevancy you're talking there. The problem is the moment he looses relevancy (when the "not visible" check times out determined object relevancy) and then you have it again all of sudden, but that information needs time to reach you again, in the meantime your side (the client-side) tries to simulate the whole to simply not stay "still", until you get the respective corrections.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Can the mapper prevent this bug with ...some special kind of build??
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

No, this has everything to do with replication and relevancy, probably the weakest part of UScript for nearly every coder. The best primer on the subject I've ever seen is here:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Rep ... bfuscation
but it is certainly not light reading. I printed this over a year ago and I've read it through many times yet I still refer back to it and learn from it.

In short UT was designed with the limitations of computers and bandwidth at the time in mind. Since the very best computers weren't even at the level of today's EReaders sacrifices were made to improve play. This problem is one of them. Also too you can't forget that Epic was blazing new territory with UT and there are problems in the code because they were learning also.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

In doing my monthly cleanout I did find this mod I didn't know I had:
HideNPeek.zip
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
It pretty much forces the exact thing we are talking about. I have no idea how well it works but you can see in the code how to change the relevancy. I'm curious if you use this, please let me know back what happened.
(G)ott
Average

Post by (G)ott »

i know this mod... HnP fixing a bug named "window trick".
if you behind a small wall and your to ca 60 % invisible for a other player, then you will after some seconds complete invisible for him. the same is with glass windows.

HnP does only fix this one, but not the dropping bug.

EDIT: maybe it needs only a small change in HnP to do this job?

greetz (G)ott
Last edited by (G)ott on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.