a monster of a problem

Discussions about everything else
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

a monster of a problem

Post by EvilGrins »

As mentioned previously, I have ut99 on my system in 2 separate directories: 1 installed from the original ut99 disc set and the other from the Unreal Anthology disc set. The reason for this was to check something but since then I've decided since the original is the one I've literally had since 1999, I'd hang onto it for stuff I collected over the years and use the more recent installation for whenever I start hosting games.

There's some subtle differences between them...and one of them is seriously pissing me off!

Outside of Monster Hunt, I've got some maps that have monsters on them. For some reason those maps played in ut99 from UA, the monsters just stand around and do nothing. Even if shot, they don't fight back. However, the exact same map played on my original setup and the monsters will kick the ass of anything that comes in view of them...or at least try to.

I've skimmed all the pertinent obvious stuff but I'm lost.

I might not've noticed except I use MonsterSpawn for LMS games, so when things get slow in the match (damned campers) mosnters pop up and shake things up a bit. That got me curious and how I noticed that other maps that just had monsters designed into them were also not doing anything. MonsterHunt still works fine but nowhere outside of there.

Any ideas what's causing this? How can I fix it??
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: a monster of a problem

Post by JackGriffin »

Many mods conflict with monsters, especially Scripted Pawn (the base monster class). Most gametypes really just don't know what to do with them. We've spent the last several years refining the process of dealing with them in MH so it's no wonder they don't work right other places. Don't try to compare MH to the rest as it pertains to monsters because it is highly modified to make them work right.

Copy me your ut.ini and I'll tell you where the conflict is.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I only mentioned MH is working fine...actually not sure why.

Just can't figure out why the same map is running differently under different Unreal Tournament games, my original and this newer one. They're the same version.

Wouldn't you need the ut.ini from both of them?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, I just checked. The ut.ini files from both games are identical so that's not it.

What is it about the Unreal Anthology ut99 that's so different from the original ut99?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I can't help you if you won't listen to me. Stop re-asking the same question and move forward.

Now, if you want me to fix it for you then:
a) go play a game on the "bad" installation.
b) immediately zip the ut.ini and the ut.log and send them to me. Don't worry about deleting your passwords/favs/whatever. I never look at any of that stuff and I've helped a LOT of people.

You don't call a mechanic to fix your car over the phone, you take it to them.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

JackGriffin wrote:You don't call a mechanic to fix your car over the phone, you take it to them.
Actually, they have radio shows for that.

2 quick things:
1) There's no bad installation. I think the UA version of ut99 is different cuz of something I just learned.

2) It doesn't have a ut.ini or a ut.log, I did both a visual search and a file search. They're not in the UA ut99 version, though the original ut99 does have both.

Now, maybe you can explain this:
UA ut99 doesn't recognize bots as players like plain old ut99 does. I tried the maps & the MonsterSpawn mutator and the monsters respond to me in UA ut99 but not the bots, which is different than original ut99.

So, I'm not trying to be difficult, but can you explain that?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

EvilGrins wrote: Actually, they have radio shows for that.
No, they have two wanna-be comedians that "answer" carefully (and scripted) selected calls. Isn't it funny how they just happen to have some nice little quip loaded up for every call (off the cuff mind you)?
EvilGrins wrote: 2 quick things:
1) There's no bad installation. I think the UA version of ut99 is different cuz of something I just learned.
Come on, don't start splitting hairs. You know I did not mean bad as in unworking. I meant bad as in not the good one doing what you want. I've helped you several times now, you know I don't mind to do it. Why start something like this now?
EvilGrins wrote:2) It doesn't have a ut.ini or a ut.log, I did both a visual search and a file search. They're not in the UA ut99 version, though the original ut99 does have both.
Then that is your problem. Unreal cannot run without an ini file to facilitate the start up, period.
EvilGrins wrote:Now, maybe you can explain this:
UA ut99 doesn't recognize bots as players like plain old ut99 does. I tried the maps & the MonsterSpawn mutator and the monsters respond to me in UA ut99 but not the bots, which is different than original ut99.

So, I'm not trying to be difficult, but can you explain that?
Sure, we'll just skip the fact that the installation is messed up and go right to why it behaves oddly. No sense in rehashing.

You are now four posts deep into this thread and you keep asking the same question. Dammit I'm trying to help answer it so stop fighting me over giving me what I need to help you. Whatever installation you are playing in has to have an ini file and it has to have a log file. Until you decide to stop being obtuse you might as well ask your question four more times. Not even Mark Rein himself could answer you without looking at your install.
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

EvilGrins be sure to look for UnrealTournament.ini not UT.ini
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Well, that was part of the confusion. The ut99 I've had for over a decade has both an UnrealTournament.ini and an ut.ini in it. When he asked specifically for that, I was trying to be just as specific.

Also, sorry if I seem difficult. I'm kinda sick today, my head ain't exactly screwed on right.

Here's the files I think you meant.
Attachments
UnrealTournament.zip
as you so asked...
(14.7 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

EvilGrins wrote: When he asked specifically for that, I was trying to be just as specific.
Snap! I concede defeat :)

Looking now at your stuff.

OK I see right off:
ScriptLog: The mesh UnrealI.sktrooper needs a Breath3 animation.
If you alter meshes on monsters without specifically coding for that, you get this happen a lot. I'll explain in-depth next post.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Altering meshes and why you should be VERY careful when doing this:

Players and monsters (to name a few) have certain movements coded into the mesh. These are called 'animations' and these sequences can be called my the monsters code. If the monster is attacking, the animation for it's attack is played. If it is killed, the death animation is called. You get the idea.

Problems develop if you swap meshes without accounting for it in code. For instance the Skaarj has an anim called "hairflip". If you swap it's mesh for a nali then whenever "hairflip" is called by the code the nail mesh errors because that animation is not in it's mesh. Very often this causes the monster to just freeze up and react to nothing.

So to sum up: it's ok to swap meshes on non-animated stuff (mostly) but anything animated will take a coder to help make it right.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay but my problem isn't the skaarj, it's all the monsters. Even ones I've added to the game like spinners & cyborgs & predators.

All of them are ignoring the bots.

Also, the unreali.sktrooper it's referring to isn't the monster in game. You'll note each instance is referencing SkTrooperSkiny_Squad files. Those are for the player model Sktrooper I play as when I'm online, as well as the 50 or so other skins for said model.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

The game load is all smeared up too. It's not loading a valid gametype, and it's autoloading this:
ScriptLog: InitGame: ?Class=BotPack.TMale2?team=255?skin=Soldier_Warm.Warm?Face=Soldier_Warm.Warm?OverrideClass=?Voice=MultiMesh.SkaarjVoice?RadarScale=50?InfilLivesLeft=7?bInfilAutoReload=True?bInfilAimIsToggled=True?bInfilPlayerRadar=True?Name=Doppleganger?SDClass=Smashdroid.Cyclops?SDVoice=SmashDroid.CyclopsVoice
What's all that Infil stuff? I'm assuming it's infiltration? Also you are loading as team 255, which is no team. Have you tweaked your ut.exe shortcut? Look at it's properties and see if some mod has added itself to the loading when you click to start. There ought to be nothing extra added if you use a shortcut to start the game.

My guess is the infil mod is screwing over the team assignments somewhere and that may be what is adjusting your monsters.

You really need to clear out these bad meshes and skins too. It's nothing but trouble when they start flooding your log like that. A mesh of any type that is missing an anim is going to screw up your game. It may only throw scriptlog errors but eventually it causes a crash from the cascade of erroring. I see this a lot, some guys like having an installation with every single gametype/mod/skin/voicepack they have. If it takes more than a few seconds to open your UT once you select 'play a practice game' you have too much stuff packed in there.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Infil stuff may be infiltration, although I have the mutator I'm not currently running it so I'm not sure about that.

Yeah, the last game I played wasn't a team game so that's why no team color was specified at the time.

I don't use shortcuts, typically.

The Sktrooper model was designed by a guy who left the Unreal world a stretch back, Usaarj33. I don't know what the mesh issue is cuz the models do breathe in the game.

I'll check out the stuff you mentioned and get back to you.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

JackGriffin wrote:The game load is all smeared up too. It's not loading a valid gametype, and it's autoloading this:
ScriptLog: InitGame: ?Class=BotPack.TMale2?team=255?skin=Soldier_Warm.Warm?Face=Soldier_Warm.Warm?OverrideClass=?Voice=MultiMesh.SkaarjVoice?RadarScale=50?InfilLivesLeft=7?bInfilAutoReload=True?bInfilAimIsToggled=True?bInfilPlayerRadar=True?Name=Doppleganger?SDClass=Smashdroid.Cyclops?SDVoice=SmashDroid.CyclopsVoice
What's all that Infil stuff? I'm assuming it's infiltration?
My bad. I have infiltration on the original ut99 on my system but not this one.

I have no idea what those INFs up there are for.