Making a gametype, I need help

Discussions about GameTypes
D3$TR0Y3R
Average
Personal rank: xXProNoscoperHD420Xx

Making a gametype, I need help

Post by D3$TR0Y3R »

Hi all, and this is D3$TR0Y3R. I am making a gametype and I need some help with it. Links is what I expect. Posted here is what I am trying to make.

The gametype I am trying to make is called Drone-X, or D-X. I am planning to add new weapons to the mod, so make sure you post links about that. This is mod similar to rocket X, except with a twist. There is 3 firing modes: Homing rocket- This missile will lock on to players, drones, turrets, and anything else that has a player on it. The blast radius is a little smaller than the redeemer. Drone- Fires a drone, which the player can control. It has cannons, 8 rockets, and 1 controllable rocket. It also features an eject mode, and a warhead mode (for kamikaze purposes :mrgreen: ). If the drone is destroyed, it will count as a kill. When this mode is fired, the player is then teleported to the team's drone control tower. Also, if the drone is controlling a missile, The drone hovers and a shield is around it until the missile has been destroyed. But if 2 and 1/2 of missile damage is aimed at the shield, it will be destroyed, and the drone is then vulnerable to enemy fire. Jet- fires a jet, similar to the drone except the player is on it. Fires cannons, 8 rockets, and 1 uncontrollable rocket. This is meant to be a transport/fighter, but if it is shot down, the player dies then respawns. Anyone piloting the jet should be very cautious when a turret, drone or armed players is nearby.

Features: Drone tower: Players are teleported here when they fire a drone. There is only one drone tower per team but any amount of players can fit in the tower. But players are not always safe in the tower. If the tower takes alot of damage, then it is destroyed, killing all players in it, disabling all drones, and detonating any piloted missiles. In 1 and 1/2 minutes, it has been respawned and now players can pilot drones. Maneuvers- Anyone piloting a drone or a jet is able to do maneuvers. To do one, the player holds the maneuvers key then presses a movement key. New weapons- alot of weapons is placed on the map that has new firing modes. Super Drone-X- A modified drone-X that has miniguns, 12 rockets, and 1 nuke :o !!! Also has 3 ammo. Target Painter- Yes, its is a modified target painter from UT2k4 to UT99! When fired, it calls in bombers that carpets an area with bombs and 8 homing rockets. This weapon has a long respawn time. However, the bombers can be shot down. Take note that this weapon actually triggers movers with projectile spawners underneath it.

Game types are: D-X CTF, D-X assault (attack the enemy's base while defending your own) and D-X team deathmatch.

This is what I hope I'll make someday. Maybe when I release it i'll make a server with the mod. :rock:
Image ImageImage
There are three types of people: Firestarters, firefighters, and fuel.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Making a gametype, I need help

Post by papercoffee »

D3$TR0Y3R wrote:Hi all, and this is D3$TR0Y3R.
Yes we know it... we can see your user name right under the thread title... :|
I am making a gametype and I need some help with it. Links is what I expect. Posted here is what I am trying to make.
What links ?
D3$TR0Y3R
Average

Post by D3$TR0Y3R »

@papercofee: Links is a name of a website that is posted on almost anything.
Image ImageImage
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

First: you forgot a letter in my name...

Second: Your sentence makes no sense
Links is what I expect
Do you search links or do you want to share some links?
You have to be more precise if you expect an useful answer.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

D3$TR0Y3R wrote:@papercofee: Links is a name of a website that is posted on almost anything.
This sentence really shows that English is not D3$TR0Y3Rs native language.
And after reading a few of his posts I am sure of it.

I know it can be hard, but please show a little gracious patience (for now anyway).
Picking apart D3$TR0Y3Rs post is admittedly difficult. I think there is too much info and not enough clear questions.

@D3$TR0Y3R
Are you looking for links to existing mods, or developers, or map-makers?
Do you require tutorials, in a particular area of expertise ?
Some of what you have written reminds me of the old Zen Coder mods.
http://web.archive.org/web/200511050056 ... /mods.html

@Papercafé :wink:
Don't worry about the small stuff. Even some of my teachers at school never got my real name right !
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

D3$TR0Y3R
Average

Post by D3$TR0Y3R »

Dr.Flay wrote:@D3$TR0Y3R
Are you looking for links to existing mods, or developers, or map-makers?
Do you require tutorials, in a particular area of expertise ?
Some of what you have written reminds me of the old Zen Coder mods.

Yes, I am looking for mods & tutorials.
The link you posted is about Zencoder was one of the things I am looking for.
This sentence really shows that English is not D3$TR0Y3Rs native language.
And after reading a few of his posts I am sure of it.

I know it can be hard, but please show a little gracious patience (for now anyway).
Picking apart D3$TR0Y3Rs post is admittedly difficult. I think there is too much info and not enough clear questions.

Sometimes my English is bad, sometimes it's not. For now lets stay on topic and post some answers.
Image ImageImage
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Groovy, glad I could help.
Bare in mind though, when you post some precise questions, you will get concise answers.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:
D3$TR0Y3R wrote:Hi all, and this is D3$TR0Y3R.
Yes we know it... we can see your user name right under the thread title... :|
Yes indeedy, and I am the mighty EvilGrins!
Bow down before me and tremble!
...while you're down there, see if my shoes are tied...
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

@ Grins... :wth:
Dr.Flay wrote:@Papercafé :wink:
Don't worry about the small stuff. Even some of my teachers at school never got my real name right !
Yeah you are right Dr.Play... :mrgreen:
D3$TR0Y3R wrote:Sometimes my English is bad, sometimes it's not. For now lets stay on topic and post some answers.
Very well ...but keep in mind a little bit more understandable English will avoid such off-topic posts. :wink:
Dr.Flay wrote:the old Zen Coder mods
Ah Yes ...Quantum fighter jets ...my first experience with a flying vehicle in UT :rock:
D3$TR0Y3R
Average

Post by D3$TR0Y3R »

@ papercoffee: I do have quantum fighter jets. I was very interested when I first saw them, but then I realized that it only shot rockets :what: . Rocket-X was very good, except it only shot bullets :wth: . There also was no custom projectiles and little new effects. I think when the R-X or Q-jet was being piloted the controller was actually flying.
Image ImageImage
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, if you're looking for an RX that shoots more stuff than "bullets", I developed one 2 years ago called Venom-X.
It shoots missiles and bullets (instead of bullets there's also another kind of projectiles).
As for the missiles, there's a hardcoded limit of 2 seeking missiles, 8 regular missiles (4 you shoot normally, other 4 are fired backwards).
There's also an extra random projectile per jet (a dropable bomb, a nuke, a seeking nuke, flash, etc), besides some other features.
Here: http://feralidragon.blogspot.com/2000/0 ... about.html

I am no longer supporting the mod though, so if you want to make a new version out of it without those limitations and all, you have to do yourself or contact someone else to do it.
D3$TR0Y3R
Average

Post by D3$TR0Y3R »

Feralidragon wrote:Well, if you're looking for an RX that shoots more stuff than "bullets", I developed one 2 years ago called Venom-X.
It shoots missiles and bullets (instead of bullets there's also another kind of projectiles).
As for the missiles, there's a hardcoded limit of 2 seeking missiles, 8 regular missiles (4 you shoot normally, other 4 are fired backwards).
There's also an extra random projectile per jet (a dropable bomb, a nuke, a seeking nuke, flash, etc), besides some other features.
Here: http://feralidragon.blogspot.com/2000/0 ... about.html

I am no longer supporting the mod though, so if you want to make a new version out of it without those limitations and all, you have to do yourself or contact someone else to do it.
That's an interesting mod you've made, I would be glad to make a new version out of it. I will just switch some firing modes with the drone and the jet. Oh yeah, and I need some skins for the drone and the jet, so they they don't look like the previous versions. So I need someone to make the skins, and someone to do the coding (I have no coding experience, I am just the project lead). If anyone wants to help me, just PM me and start working on it. I may have a few people working for the coding, so if that happens i'll PM all of the people of what tasks they are working on. When it is done, i'll post it on a forum and there it will be available for people to test. If any bugs happen, feel free to post those bugs on the comments.
Image ImageImage
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hmmmm.
I think I'm saying this for everyone here.
You're not going to get very far. The community doesn't need more managers, it needs more shop-floor workers, and they are a dying breed.
There are plenty of posts on this forum about the lack of coders.

I just posted a game/mutator idea, but I have no illusions as to the need for me to manage it, or indeed see it bare fruition.
At this time that is the best you can expect, unless you are willing to be more proactive and put some of the grunt-work in, you're not going to get to put your name on anything complete.

Have a play with some skinning, and voicepack tools, and tinker around with few maps you like in UnrealEd.
The more you know about this, the more you will know what you are asking of people.

:confused2: As an ex-company director, and network admin, I am suspicious of "managers" who don't actually have any of the skill-set they are trying to manage.
If you have a cracking idea, that is priceless, or very quick and easy, then I have no doubt you will see some help.
...buuuut .... I suspect a project of this size really doesn't need a project leader, just someone who knows their place in the grand scheme of things.

I wish you all the luck in the Unreal universe (You are going to need it). :thuup:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

D3$TR0Y3R wrote:I would be glad to make a new version out of it.
So I need someone to make the skins, and someone to do the coding (I have no coding experience, I am just the project lead).
:wth:
Sorry but you have to offer something ...To be the man in charge only doesn't work.
Or you have to make the best concept ever so everyone wants to work under your Guidance.