TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Guide

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
UT99.org

Re: TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio and Visuals Tweaking G

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
- This guide will cover clean installing UT using original game CD1 and CD2. Today you can also buy UT from various digital channels (including Good Old Games and Steam), but since I do not have these versions available, I cannot comment how much and in which way they are different from retail versions.

- Definitely do NOT use S3TC textures for mapping. Only use standard CD1 textures for mapping. If you deal with level creation, it is recommanded that you keep two separate UT folders – one for playing and another one for mapping.

- As a precaution I would not recommand downloading any non-official, pre-configured or so called „optimized“ UT versions from the internet, because you can never be sure what do you actually get and what kind of settings are applied to that package (in worst case scenario it may contain malware).
Part Two
Installing Higher Resolution S3TC Textures

In this section we are going to install higher resolution S3TC textures from CD2, but before you do that be sure to back up your current City.utx, ShaneSky.utx and SkyBox.utx files from your UnrealTournament\Texures folder, because they're improperly masked and you get some malformed skyboxes. Put those three files into some temporary folder until you need them.

Right after you have installed S3TC texures from CD2 go to your UnrealTournament\Texures folder and take out the following files and put them besides other previously backed up files - Female1Skins.utx, Female2Skins.utx, Male1Skins.utx, Male2Skins.utx, Male3Skins.utx and SkTrooperSkins.utx.
The reason you'll do that is because sometimes you get „sliding zombie players“ effect in some improperly configured servers which is visually really annoying bug.

Now download S3TC_Fix.zip, extract it to UnrealTournament\Texures folder and run S3Fix.exe (Depending on your UT install location, for example Program Files folder, you might need to run this utility as administrator (right click and select „Run as administrator“ option). This utility will correct that „sliding zombie players“ bug by patching some textures.
S3TC_Fix.zip
After the process is complete (Command Prompt window closes after patching is finished), be sure to take all your previously backed up files and move them into Textures folder answering „Yes“ to overwrite existing ones.
Isn't this method outdated now? I mean the higher resolution textures were fixed a long time ago, you shouldn't even have problems on servers that use the 'server textures' now. The few people who downloaded them before they were fixed will still have that problem. Are you sure your 'fix' here is not bringing back solved problems? I'm not trying to criticise you its only that I don't like the idea of people giving others bad advice

Edit: Oh there is a bug where servers have the 'server textures' and people have cd2 textures installed have to go through this process? OK I apologise. Out of curiousity are you saying these textures are the ones that were not fixed: Female1Skins.utx, Female2Skins.utx, Male1Skins.utx, Male2Skins.utx, Male3Skins.utx and SkTrooperSkins.utx. I thought it was only the XbpFX.utx one that ever caused problems. Might want to add to backup (CD1) of this file
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Not use CD2.

Le S3TC_Textures_Players_UTRP.Extreme.End for players The beast for the moment with 4.5 Go Textures.

http://medor.no-ip.org/Patches/S3TC_Tex ... .part1.rar
http://medor.no-ip.org/Patches/S3TC_Tex ... .part2.rar
Links faster down.
http://ut.fuzzeh.com/UT/TexturePacks/UT ... tures1.cab
http://ut.fuzzeh.com/UT/TexturePacks/UT ... tures2.cab

For easy way:
If you use this UT demo optimised UnrealTournament-V3.exe The last one 31/Jan/2013 you are ready for use S3TC .
If you make changes or have implemented the option MediumConfig or WarConfig il Just put the files StartConfig .
WarConfig 31/Jan/2013

If you have another version of UT must add the following sections to your UnrealTournament.ini and select to display UT OpenGLRenderDevice or D3DRenderDevice.
Exemple
[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice

Code: Select all

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
UseVSync=False
FrameRateLimit=190
Translucency=False
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=False
FastTranslucency=1
VertexLighting=0
UseTNT=False
Translucency=1
UseVertexSpecular=1
UseTrilinear=False
UseS3TC=True
LODBias=0.000000
MaxAnisotropy=16
SupportsLazyTextures=1
GammaOffset=0.420000
NumAASamples=8
UseAA=True
SwapInterval=0
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
UseSSE=2
AAFilterHint=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
NoFiltering=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseAlphaPalette=True
UsePrecache=True
AlwaysMipmap=True
ShareLists=True
UseMultiTexture=True
MaskedTextureHack=False
MaxTMUnits=0

D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
UseVSync=False
FrameRateLimit=190
Translucency=False
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=False
FastTranslucency=1
VertexLighting=0
UseTNT=False
Translucency=1
UseVertexSpecular=1
UseTrilinear=False
UseS3TC=True
LODBias=0.000000
MaxAnisotropy=16
SupportsLazyTextures=1
GammaOffset=0.420000
NumAASamples=8
UseAA=True
SwapInterval=0
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
UseSSE=2
AAFilterHint=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
NoFiltering=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseAlphaPalette=True
UsePrecache=True
AlwaysMipmap=True
ShareLists=True
UseMultiTexture=True
MaskedTextureHack=False
MaxTMUnits=0
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

Does anyone know what ParticleDensity does? The default value is 0, does it make a difference at all if changed?
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

billybill wrote:
Isn't this method outdated now? I mean the higher resolution textures were fixed a long time ago, you shouldn't even have problems on servers that use the 'server textures' now. The few people who downloaded them before they were fixed will still have that problem. Are you sure your 'fix' here is not bringing back solved problems? I'm not trying to criticise you its only that I don't like the idea of people giving others bad advice

Edit: Oh there is a bug where servers have the 'server textures' and people have cd2 textures installed have to go through this process? OK I apologise. Out of curiousity are you saying these textures are the ones that were not fixed: Female1Skins.utx, Female2Skins.utx, Male1Skins.utx, Male2Skins.utx, Male3Skins.utx and SkTrooperSkins.utx. I thought it was only the XbpFX.utx one that ever caused problems. Might want to add to backup (CD1) of this file
Hi billybill, thanks for bringing it up.

I'm aware of newer S3TC textures, but the thing is that I have sometimes experienced that issue even with updated ones, it varied from server to server, but not with CD2 textures. I need to test them again if I get more time.
That S3TC fix patches textures, not the skins - that's why you put them temporarily in separate folder. Can you explain the issue with XbpXF.utx package? I've never encountered any problems with that (not CD1 or CD2 version) or are you talking about newer XbpFX.utx you can download from unrealtexture.com that crashes with some maps like DOM-MetalDream?
rsbloom44 wrote:Does anyone know what ParticleDensity does? The default value is 0, does it make a difference at all if changed?
I haven't found any good documentation for that option either. In theory it should do what it describes, but changing the value doesn't seem to have any visual impact, at least with stock maps.

medor, please stop spamming your warez UT installer, stripping it down and adding some non-standard configuration files does not make it legal :|
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Raynor wrote: medor, please stop spamming your warez UT installer, stripping it down and adding some non-standard configuration files does not make it legal :|

Seriously, this special UT editon is already known for ages to the administration. This one gets tolerated, so stop wasting your energy.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:If it bothers you I can remove it from your post ?
Raynor
Adept

Re: TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio and Visuals Tweaking

Post by Raynor »

Creavion wrote: Seriously, this special UT editon is already known for ages to the administration. This one gets tolerated, so stop wasting your energy.
I pointed out that it's not the demo, but stripped down retail version of the game. It's solely up to that person itself, if he/she want's to use it.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio and Visuals Tweaking

Post by Creavion »

Raynor wrote:
Creavion wrote: Seriously, this special UT editon is already known for ages to the administration. This one gets tolerated, so stop wasting your energy.
I pointed out that it's not the demo, but stripped down retail version of the game. It's solely up to that person itself, if he/she want's to use it.
I know that. It is a complete UT download he offers, I know that and most around here do as well.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
Raynor wrote: Can you explain the issue with XbpXF.utx package? I've never encountered any problems with that (not CD1 or CD2 version) or are you talking about newer XbpFX.utx you can download from unrealtexture.com that crashes with some maps like DOM-MetalDream?
This was probably fixed as well. A year ago all the textures were fixed to work properly on servers with the 'server textures'. Before a year ago this was file copied from cd1 was the only one that needed replacing without patching neccessary. It might have changed. The problem really is that these old 's3tc-patched server textures' that go on the server cause problems where clients HAVE to use your method. The CD1 textures on the server should allow ALL clients with no problems
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Just my thoughts but a site that is devoted to support the longevity and continued existence of a game probably shouldn't turn a blind eye to someone giving it away on that very site.

While the profit margin for UT99 has long past for Epic (would they mind having it given away all the same?), it seems to me that this kind of thing should be frowned upon if only out of respect for the game we all claim to love so much.

We have a greater responsibility than most to take the high road on this, no?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Gui

Post by Feralidragon »

Here is our overall position on the "free UT download" subject: this is the only exception we allow as far as downloads to "free stuff which is paid" goes.

The reasons for that are simple:

1 - Nowadays you simply cannot buy get a good UT copy anymore. Steam's version is pretty messed up as you know and there's nowhere else where everyone at international level can buy it anymore, at least not the original GOTY one.

2 - The game itself is blocked from getting bought in some countries. A notorious example of that is Germany, which means that if in Germany they couldn't get the game through other "free" means, then guys like Papercoffee, Creavion and others wouldn't ever be able to even be a part of our community, much less providing content.
That also means that CMP2 wouldn't even exist, nor XPickups which was Creavion's idea, nor Food Fight would even leave the depths of Papercoffee's mind, nor we would ever see other great maps from German folks which means that many of the FOT mappacks wouldn't have the level they have.
So they didn't have a choice, it was either getting it through an alternative way, or not getting at all even if they had all the money in the world.

3 - Nowadays is perfectly legal to download the UT Demo and apply the v436 no-delta patch to it, which actually results in a full playable UT as far as servers go. The only thing missing there are maps, and downloading the UT Demo + patch it is a common practice for over a decade already, and Epic didn't give a damn (it's not like they could anyway, it's their fault).

Having this said, I support and encourage people to actually buy the game if they can though, and that's the best money you will ever spend in your life, however since the game is a dying breed, is blocked in some countries and there isn't a good way to buy it anymore, providing it for free doesn't sound so bad.
If we start with "buy the game or gtfo", then you can say goodbye to more than half of the community and is a straight slap to the face to the ones who provided the content you all probably played with at some point in your UT life, and which was actually what kept the game alive for so long.

You're free to disagree of course, but our position stands, therefore if medor or anyone else wants to provide a link, he's allowed to do so, as long that UT is a good one (unlike some from others which had malware in them), yet whoever is able to buy a good copy of the game, please do so instead.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:Here is our overall position on the "free UT download" subject: this is the only exception we allow as far as downloads to "free stuff which is paid" goes.

3 - Nowadays is perfectly legal to download the UT Demo and apply the v436 no-delta patch to it, which actually results in a full playable UT as far as servers go. The only thing missing there are maps, and downloading the UT Demo + patch it is a common practice for over a decade already, and Epic didn't give a damn (it's not like they could anyway, it's their fault).
If I recall correctly Epic stated this was alright on their forums, I am paraphrasing but they did tell someone to use it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the thread. It does make sense though, avoid illegal downloads and the problems and viruses associated. Medor's link is safe, because it is illegal to get ahold of in Germany, if things were to change in Germany I think the above method would be the only one pushed provided epic really were okay with it. It was banned in Russia too, right?
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

just a question regarding servers.. what pack do we install if/any server side?
Last edited by Wises on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:If you can you test whether the new 'fixed' textures can be used for mapping and if they will work on a server for the cd 1 only players, the cd 2 textures players. I think with the fixed versions of everything a lot of this is a myth now. Your guide might well have some updates to do. There's like 3 different 'launcher' UT executables as well
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

Hey raynor do you know the difference in Min Desired Framerate if you set it to 0 or an absurdly high number like 1000?