TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Guide

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
User avatar
Dare
Inhuman
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:26 pm
Personal rank: UT99 God
Location: England FTW

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by Dare »

so it should take me about an hour with my noobyness at stuff like this. :tongue:
Image
Image
User avatar
Dare
Inhuman
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:26 pm
Personal rank: UT99 God
Location: England FTW

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by Dare »

Ok, the UT I have only came with 1 CD, now what.
Image
Image
User avatar
Raynor
Adept
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by Raynor »

Dare wrote:Ok, the UT I have only came with 1 CD, now what.
Then take a plunge and use UTRP textures instead:
http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Website ... ighEnd.htm

Only you can skip the S3TC fix process because UTRP won't need this.
User avatar
Dare
Inhuman
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:26 pm
Personal rank: UT99 God
Location: England FTW

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by Dare »

So what do I do now?
Image
Image
Antrax
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:03 pm
Personal rank: bots = godlike

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by Antrax »

wow thx :tu: :gj:
The Roel-R
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:49 am

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by The Roel-R »

Good tut, this really helped me.
SpinalLove
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by SpinalLove »

thanks for the guide
User avatar
Dare
Inhuman
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:26 pm
Personal rank: UT99 God
Location: England FTW

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by Dare »

please help me, I don't have the 2nd disc so I can't do it, is there somewhere i can download the files off a website instead of from the disc?
Image
Image
User avatar
Raynor
Adept
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by Raynor »

Dare wrote:please help me, I don't have the 2nd disc so I can't do it, is there somewhere i can download the files off a website instead of from the disc?
Unrealtexture.com is currently down so you can't download them from that site. You might find CD2 textures from some other sources. Which version of UT do you own?
User avatar
Dare
Inhuman
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:26 pm
Personal rank: UT99 God
Location: England FTW

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by Dare »

Uh the original i think
Image
Image
User avatar
Raynor
Adept
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by Raynor »

Then you should have second UT disc. If not, then you have to wait until unrealtexture.com goes live again so you can download UTRP textures or meanwhile you can search for UT CD2 contents.
User avatar
King Henri
Average
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:17 am
Personal rank: It depends
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by King Henri »

Ok I have the following problem with OpenGL. While the game speed is ok I have two issues which appear. One is problem with brigthness. Some map are to bright and also if I swich between UT and some other rpogram, the brightness drops and I have to go to prefernces to correct it. The other thing is that during the play my view often suddenly rolls and I end up staring in the celling :ironic2:, which would be ok if it didn't happen during crucial moment :thudown:.
My current setting in UnrealTournament.ini is something like that:

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True

So I've tried to set it up according to your tutorial and the graphics turned out really nice but the machine slows down significantly (Dual Core processor, 1GB Ram, ATI x1650 graphics card) and the thing is hard to play. Otherwise I'm satisfied with the current performance only for the 2 problems mentioned above.
Does somebody has any suggestion what to do? Should I add line by line in UnrealTournament.ini and see what happens?
:help: :help: :help:
Image
Image
User avatar
Raynor
Adept
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by Raynor »

That's a common problem with ATI cards, have you tried latest ATI Catalyst , because this issue looks resolved with latest drivers. If you still experience problems, try D3D9 renderer - it does not have this issue.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 pm
Personal rank: I.T Master
Location: New York

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by RocketJedi »

King Henri wrote:Ok I have the following problem with OpenGL. While the game speed is ok I have two issues which appear. One is problem with brigthness. Some map are to bright and also if I swich between UT and some other rpogram, the brightness drops and I have to go to prefernces to correct it. The other thing is that during the play my view often suddenly rolls and I end up staring in the celling :ironic2:, which would be ok if it didn't happen during crucial moment :thudown:.
My current setting in UnrealTournament.ini is something like that:

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True

So I've tried to set it up according to your tutorial and the graphics turned out really nice but the machine slows down significantly (Dual Core processor, 1GB Ram, ATI x1650 graphics card) and the thing is hard to play. Otherwise I'm satisfied with the current performance only for the 2 problems mentioned above.
Does somebody has any suggestion what to do? Should I add line by line in UnrealTournament.ini and see what happens?
:help: :help: :help:
make sure you backed up your old open gl file and installed the updated one in its place. Also the new open gl ini is very long.. it looks like you are using the original open gl ini settings.

here is my ini for "reference"
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
SinglePassFog=True
ZRangeHack=False
DetailMax=4
BufferTileQuads=True
UseAGPTextures=True
RefreshRate=75
DetailTextures=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseS3TC=False
UseTNT=False
LODBias=0.000000
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=False
Translucency=1
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
MaxAnisotropy=1
AlwaysMipmap=False
UsePrecache=False
SupportsLazyTextures=0
UseBGRATextures=True
UseAA=False
UseSSE=True
UseTexIdPool=True
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
SinglePassDetail=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
UseCVA=False
UseVertexProgram=False
SwapInterval=0
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
AAFilterHint=2
NumAASamples=0
RequestHighResolutionZ=False
MaskedTextureHack=False
FrameRateLimit=0
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
CacheStaticMaps=False
BufferClippedActorTris=True
DetailClipping=True
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
Use16BitTextures=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
ShareLists=False
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
DescFlags=0
Description=
NoMaskedS3TC=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
NoAATiles=False
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
UseFragmentProgram=False
UseSSE2=True
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
User avatar
King Henri
Average
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:17 am
Personal rank: It depends
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Re: TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum

Post by King Henri »

Before I've changed to OpenGl 3.4 I used orignal D3D. That worked fine but it often after playing a while crashed them game or even computer. Since then I've installed the latest ATI drivers and used OpenGl 3.4. No more crashes and errors, only the problems which I've already mentioned. Also tried D3D8 and 9 but I only get black screen and the game exits in error. I'll try to tweak UnrelTournament.ini some more and hope that it changes to better :mrgreen: .
Image
Image