A few questions (obj, garbage collection, memory, etc)

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

A few questions (obj, garbage collection, memory, etc)

Post by Feralidragon »

So, I have a couple of questions and I hope someone could answer me:

1 - There's a command in UT which purges all the items in garbage collection. I ran it and so far I didn't notice any issues, so it got me wondering:
as long there are items in GC, they are still occupying memory space and processing time, and certain gametypes like Monster Hunt and Siege can last hours of super spammy environments (aka lots of actors spawns and destroys).
So I wonder: is there really any known issue if an automated mod purges the GC each 20/30min both in a server and client so the actor list gets cleaned (so it occupies less memory and takes less time to iterate through), instead of doing just on map change?

2 - If I wanted to create a new class expanding from Object and instantiate it (*not* Actor), this is the correct syntax: x = new Class'myObj';
right?

3 - Objects aren't supposed to be affected by replication (perhaps with some exceptions, idk), right? Since they don't have roles (since they're not Actors).
So in theory, if I make a new class expanding from object, if I instantiate it server-side it won't be replicated, as for client same logic, right?
Or have the following flags do something with it?
const RF_NotForClient = 0x00100000; // Don't load for game client.
const RF_NotForServer = 0x00200000; // Don't load for game server.

I don't intend to replicate anything really, and I don't even know if I will make something with this, but it's better to know this before I advance more seriously in something and then get stuck somewhere.

4 - Is there any other known issue with the custom renderers ZRangeHack property set to False besides:
- having that HUD overlapping by the Redeemer and Flak;
- having flickering decals on distance with old video cards;
?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: A few questions (obj, garbage collection, memory, etc)

Post by JackGriffin »

Ferali, either wormbo or Anthrax (not sure now, been a while) posted a long, detailed explanation of garbage collection once and it was very informative. I can't remember where it was (UA probably) but it's worth finding. Turns out the garbage collection is not very efficient unless you restart IIRC.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Thanks, I guess I will post this in UA, since they hang out and reply there more often (even because after a day with absolutely no further replies, I guess no one knows either? :\).

Well, I expect at least an answer for 4), so if anyone knows about any further problem about that setting, PLEASE let me know, it's really important for NW3 (mostly the core file) and to make possible some other "little" things for a few future projects, if not, I will just assume there's no further problems with it.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

As I mentioned on UA. The place to be for renderer questions is OldUnreal. They have 3 people there who know the UEngine rendering system inside out.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Thanks for the replies at UA :mrgreen:

I posted the 4th one in oldunreal as well as suggested (crossing fingers to have a positive reply....).
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

A linkback would've been appreciated. Anthrax gave some informative answers.

Topic at UA
Topic at Oldunreal
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Sorry, you're right, I didn't remember about that, thanks for the links.