Bot pathing

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Bot pathing

Post by EvilGrins »

For just a moment assume I know nothing about bot pathing, not a bloody thing, and explain it to me in simplest terms.

A basic question, does it need to be all over the place or can you trace a simple path that the bots can freely meander from if they so "choose".

I'm trying to add it to a map I love that the creator of put absolute none in.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Higor
Godlike

Re: Bot pathing

Post by Higor »

It's basic node waypointing with some forced pathing cases.
Matching teleporters will always connect and so will LiftExit-LiftCenter-LiftExit combos that share the same LiftTag, even if there isn't a lift.

Now to simple basics:
PathNodes and other NavigationPoints will connect if there are at a reasonable distance. (don't put them too close <100, the furthest away, the better).
No paths are made in slime or lava zones, those need forced cases.
Paths are one way, so between 2 nodes there can be 2 paths (one per way).
Higher nodes won't receive incoming paths, so place them near the ground, unless you intend to make a bot jump from a higher platform.
Inventory items automatically generate InventorySpot waypoints (hidden), so don't add Nodes on items, in fact, use items as waypoints.
Do not place lone paths on high air, AI creatures don't use pathfinding if they are in air.

To see the Paths between nodes, enable those in the editor's viewport (Show paths).
A very good example of path usage is DM-Morpheus, check it out.
For one way jump locations, check CTF-Kosov.
Check DM-HyperBlast as well.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Cheers for that Higor. I've been struggling with high-placed nodes. Now I know why :tu:

To answer one of your questions Evilgrins;
The fewer path nodes you have, the faster the map will play, as the bots have to decide at every node, which of the other nodes it can see is the one it will move to next.
Also, If you look out, over a big open area with lots of nodes it will lag like a b*stard.

If you want lots of nodes everywhere for a quick test, you can get Ued to fill the map with them, but this should only be for testing.
You can work in reverse if you like, and remove the extra nodes (if that will be less work).

There is an auto bot-pathing tool (Pathlogic), that you run in the game and lays nodes wherever you run. You then import the generated code into your map in Ued.
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:PathLogic
http://utdatabase.99k.org/tools.html
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

@Higor: Like, +1 .. you get it. :thuup:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

This seems pretty simple. When I get home I'll give it a go, after taking a fresh look at DM-Morpheus.

I'm vaguely worried this seems simple cuz I can't see Unrealed from where I am, not able to see which little items on the menus go with what I'm told here.

Screenshots with arrows appreciated!

Added:
Does bot pathing effect the monsters? I'd prefer the monsters to continue as they normally do without following any bot paths I put into the game.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

You need a copy of "The Complete Unreal Ed Reference Guide"
It contains 12 tutorials on pathing.
http://www.oldunreal.com/editing.html
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Botpathing is retarded. Once again I struggle with that stuff in my current map. Once again Bots often fail to find a way, instead they run from A to B to A to B. This is really some of these puzzles I never could really solve.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you need bots to be directed via pathing let me know and I'll script something specific for what you need. Sometimes they need to be 'encouraged'.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

JackGriffin wrote:If you need bots to be directed via pathing let me know and I'll script something specific for what you need. Sometimes they need to be 'encouraged'.
Last time our pokemon human hybrid coder scripted the BotBurger on my request. At the end I got a lot of criticism for my MH, since I did not path the map very well and used this 'kind of hack' or whatever.
Beyondunreal tells:
While working on the bot support, you will need to make sure the botplay is working. You will have to focus on the bots as they try to play in the map. By spectating a bots-only game, you can identify trouble spots or behaviors that you'd like to change.

Occasionally a bot can get "stuck" and moves from one node to another, back and forth. The cause is related to the bot's current goal; a pickup, a LiftExit, etc. For one reason or another, the bot believes the goal is reachable, but it cannot reach it, so it turns back only to decide it should try and reach it again. That behavior can continue on indefinately in some cases. The are two possible solutions for this:

Place another node to allow the bot to reach their goal.
Move things around a bit; either the PathNodes or the bot's goal item.
So I guess I have to do as like said... with hope it will somehow work.
About to be non-active
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

In the old bible "The Complete Unreal Ed Reference Guide.chm"
Check the tutorial "Advanced Pathnoding by Silencer" and look for the section "Making bots take different paths in Capture the Flag maps".
This is useful in all maps.