UT Community SDK Release Thread

Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: UT Community SDK Release Thread

Post by Dr.Flay »

BTW. people should really check that showcase map, and go and stand under one of the torches on the wall.
One of my favourite features :)
I want it as a screen-saver :tu:

*ahem*...rebuild? oops sorry. Well you'll be re-building 'til it's finised soooo.....
I'm sure you can see how useful that single GUI upgrade is.
Instead of manually re-building a massive non compressed texture-pack, UEd2 users can fix their oversight or "upgrade" an existing pack.
There is other functionality from UEd3 that I would not ask (never tried in UEd2 tho), but this is the single most common reason I need UEd3.
There is no stand-alone tool that can do it, and even 227 cannot (no one suggested it).

BTW the other "functionality" I have used with UEd3, is a little sneaky. I have used it, to map textures and shaders (not copy) to different packs. This makes them dependant on each-other, so people can't chop your stuff into a partial distro.
I have Never tried it with UEd2, but in theory it can work with any U content.
If doing this on purpose, rather than just to fix a missing item, you could protect an entire game. Every file depends on an item in the next, and so on.
Annoying as hell, but effective.

Anyway, getting side-tracked there.
Well done :tu: 60% improvement is fantastic. Looking forward to the next release.
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Torax wrote:That's great Shad :gj:
Only one thing confuses me...sdkLevelIinfo

As i understand SDK features impossible without it...
Yes, it is THAT central actor you need for the new features. It holds several lists of new actors, new config settings etc.
Higor wrote:Add the PawnActors and NavigationActors iterators too while you're at it, my FerBotZ implementations aren't even static (only the BotZ uses them).
BTW, did you fix the inventory iterators?
Yeah I could add them, why not. I will mention you in the credits and scripts of course. Concerning the inventory iterators I didn't have that time to look after them
Dr.Flay wrote:BTW. people should really check that showcase map, and go and stand under one of the torches on the wall.
One of my favourite features :)
I want it as a screen-saver :tu:

*ahem*...rebuild? oops sorry. Well you'll be re-building 'til it's finised soooo.....
I'm sure you can see how useful that single GUI upgrade is.
Instead of manually re-building a massive non compressed texture-pack, UEd2 users can fix their oversight or "upgrade" an existing pack.
There is other functionality from UEd3 that I would not ask (never tried in UEd2 tho), but this is the single most common reason I need UEd3.
There is no stand-alone tool that can do it, and even 227 cannot (no one suggested it).

BTW the other "functionality" I have used with UEd3, is a little sneaky. I have used it, to map textures and shaders (not copy) to different packs. This makes them dependant on each-other, so people can't chop your stuff into a partial distro.
I have Never tried it with UEd2, but in theory it can work with any U content.
If doing this on purpose, rather than just to fix a missing item, you could protect an entire game. Every file depends on an item in the next, and so on.
Annoying as hell, but effective.

Anyway, getting side-tracked there.
Well done :tu: 60% improvement is fantastic. Looking forward to the next release.
Yes, yes when the new Texture Browser is ready we can discuss what we may include, but for now we simply need a new browser in the first place.
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

hey :) SDK is still in development stage ? I have some questions but for now I need a link to download, that one on ModDB is broken, I tried two days and still no mirror found.. that suck.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Don't know how you didn't find the Your Unreal mirror.
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... munity-sdk
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Radi wrote:hey :) SDK is still in development stage ? I have some questions but for now I need a link to download, that one on ModDB is broken, I tried two days and still no mirror found.. that suck.
Yes it's still in development, even if I'm not that active lately (university / job) - there's a release planned for autumn, wanted to put out a release in may/june.. then the exams came :ironic2:

Thanks doc and medor for referencing the mirrors!
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

These are some good news right on my birthday. Wish you luck!
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

New version has been released. Contains a much improved World/Level system (WorldOS), game engine OS (SceneOS), widely improved Actor-Component-System and a first app build with this new framework: Tex3D which efficiently renders textures in 3D space using draw policies and draw lists, used for Sprites, Coronas and Lensflares. Next release (October 2023) will feature Static Meshes based on this Component-System.

Download: UTSDK Beta Q2/2023
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I followed all the installation/registering instructions in the Quick Start Guide - started up UT and got the following critical error

Code: Select all

Dev: (null)::ScanForLevelChange() - Analyzing existing level infrastructure...
Log: (null)::ExecuteLevelChange()
Warning: SpawnActor failed because class sdkExeLevelInterface has bStatic or bNoDelete
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UD3D9RenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
Forum|User
Experienced

Post by Forum|User »

I have the same problem when starting UT. When I change back to Render=Render.Render than it works fine for me.

Code: Select all

Log: Log file open, 08/21/23 10:39:41
Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UXC_GameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Hey guys, thank you for your swift testing and feedback. Could I please see your full log?

As for OjitroC it seems that the SceneOS isnt correctly set up, since it looks like there's a NULL reference. Good thing you turned the DebugMode on. Nevertheless I'm wondering that the SceneOS is NULL.
Also both of you are running the SDK under UGameEngine, this hasnt been tested yet.

Please keep in mind that this is an Editor/Dev-release only. Its not in a playable stage yet and is untested under the UGameEngine enrivonment. It should load in the Unreal Editor. It has been tested with UT469c's UED 2.2. Making the SDK work under UGameEngine will be another big step. Please try it out in Unreal Editor first.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Shadow wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:54 am Hey guys, thank you for your swift testing and feedback. Could I please see your full log?
Log sent via PM.
Shadow wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:54 am As for OjitroC it seems that the SceneOS isnt correctly set up, since it looks like there's a NULL reference. Good thing you turned the DebugMode on. Nevertheless I'm wondering that the SceneOS is NULL.
Odd as I have followed all the necessary steps exactly and the log suggests that the SceneOS is initiated. By the way, I haven't altered the .ini so the DebugMode is off (as the log indicates).
Shadow wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:54 am Please keep in mind that this is an Editor/Dev-release only. Its not in a playable stage yet and is untested under the UGameEngine enrivonment. It should load in the Unreal Editor. It has been tested with UT469c's UED 2.2. Making the SDK work under UGameEngine will be another big step. Please try it out in Unreal Editor first.
Yes, works fine in the Editor :tu:

So following on from that - it may be as well to indicate in the Quick Start Guide that the game won't work with the SDK and so people will need either to have two UT99 ini files and swap them (one for the Editor and one for the Game) or they will need to comment out those entries related to the SDK in their UT ini when they want to play the game and uncomment them out when they want to run the Editor with SDK enabled.

Perhaps the QSG needs to give some advice on any changes to the settings in the respective SDK ini files that it may be necessary or desirable to make?

The other thing is that the Quick Start Guide makes no reference to the previous version (c2013) - people may, like me, have files from that version in their /System folder and so advice on what to do with those files needs to be given in the QSG (I've either overwritten them when moving the new files or moved the old files out to another location off the UT path).
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Thank you for sending the log. Will check tomorrow latest.

As for the SceneOS I think that its on conjunction with the untested UGameEngine environment. Also the log entries could be non-DebugMode bound entries.

Glad to hear that its working in the Editor :)

Yes I got your idea there, a notice would be needed to point out, that this is an Engine/Dev release only. I've reflected that in the download description and will include it in future docs.
Oh yeah.. almost forgot these old builds, will include that one too. Normally overwriten these old files should be just fine. I'm also thinking about to release a Patch around September fixing these first issues and providing additional documentation based on feedback from everybody.

And I'm planning a wiki for the SDK for my and public reference. I'm unhappy with the current wiki software I'm using (Miraheze). I have had good experiences with fandom wikis tho. Anyone has an idea for an easy to setup, free hosting wiki?
Last edited by Shadow on Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Having installed the SDK files but commented out all the references to them in the UT.ini (for the moment), I see from the log that the game is bound to sdkEngine.dll and sdkCore.dll rather than to Engine.dll and Core.dll as it was before installing SDK.

I wonder why this should be and what, if any, the effect of this is?
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Wow, this is strange. I have no explanation for this :O
Going to test commenting the files out too.

//edit: Commenting out works for me. The engine doesnt bind to SDK's dll files. I think you also need to comment out the Render entry and set it back to "Render=Render.Render".