server names

Discussions about Servers
UT99.org

server names

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I've run servers for several years under the name El Dorado, the name is, has always and will be mine. Or so I thought. So this new server comes along with the same name. I tried asking the admin why he didn't ask permission and got the "no speak english" response. Tried asking in simpler terms and got no response. A few minutes of idling awaiting a response and I get banned. I coulnd't really go to hosts and see what they can do, seems out of the question. Is there not somehow I can name and shame someone who does this? any advice?

* edit: meh, doesnt matter after a second round of asking who gave him permission he changed it to El Basque and banned me. god there are some losers out there
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: server names

Post by Feralidragon »

That's a very rare situation, I am not sure if you can do that, and even if you could if there were any repercussions.
But perhaps the best place to name and shame in those cases is UnrealAdmin, where most server admins hang out to spread the word and somewhat pressure or persuade the guy to change it to something else.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Yeah I can't imagine someone taking the name of a multiplay server, I'm sure they would get a phonecall from their ISP or something. I'd prefer epic let their masterlist be without censorship, although a little more age friendly for the younger folk might be a good thing.

I've been a member at UA before, I'm sure they had enough of my endless rants on IRC to clean up peoples posts on their site. I did get the cleanup i wanted but has my account closed as a result, I don't really know or care as to who, it's cleaner now, I lost my private messages which is the downside. I don't get to see the messages of Sam (of siege) asking me to re-write, he would no doubt deny it now because of my "involvement with cheat sites". Yes I did release an anti tweak that didn't work on siege, and then posted on a cheat site a counter to the exact tweaks I had blocked in my updated version, I then posted tweaks I didn't block hoping someone else would take over without cheat sites profiteering and profit means they will be around a lot longer and more work for Anth etc

Anway I did go to sign up again on UA but I saw it was run by a company (I do not recall the name) and not a cooperative(?) organisation like this site, it really drew me away. I'm all for the people upping posts on reddit and following on twitter, but for a company to be calling all the shots (dictate) and not the people, is a bit much for me

As to the server in my first post, and all rants asside (maybe), the owner of the server seems to have stolen my playerbase, I now know how the victims of the qwerty situation feel. This could be worse because they don't have a forum and nobody knows who the admins are. I had a hard time with cheaters until the ban system was built and fully operational across multiple servers though, and I feel the responsibilities may become too much for them (if i haven't already scared all the cheaters away). I'm all for people setting up servers and competition but this crashing servers and stealing of names is dirty tactics
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

billybill wrote: Anway I did go to sign up again on UA but I saw it was run by a company (I do not recall the name) and not a cooperative(?) organisation like this site, it really drew me away. I'm all for the people upping posts on reddit and following on twitter, but for a company to be calling all the shots (dictate) and not the people, is a bit much for me
:arrow: UA is only sponsered by multiplay, not run by them
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:You say that but of note

http://whois.domaintools.com/unrealadmin.org
Spoiler
Domain ID:D88084945-LROR
Domain Name:UNREALADMIN.ORG
Created On:03-Jul-2002 08:50:36 UTC
Last Updated On:06-Jul-2013 21:33:58 UTC
Expiration Date:03-Jul-2014 08:56:04 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
Registrant ID:tupW3s4BKDrbucCr
Registrant Name:Unreal Admin
Registrant Organization:UnrealAdmin
Registrant Street1:The Road
Registrant Street2:The Town
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:The City
Registrant State/Province:County
Registrant Postal Code:POSTCODE
Registrant Country:GB
Registrant Phone:+44.123456789
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:+44.123456789
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:
Admin ID:tupW3s4BKDrbucCr
Admin Name:Unreal Admin
Admin Organization:UnrealAdmin
Admin Street1:The Road
Admin Street2:The Town
Admin Street3:
Admin City:The City
Admin State/Province:County
Admin Postal Code:POSTCODE
Admin Country:GB
Admin Phone:+44.123456789
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:+44.123456789
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:
Tech ID:tupW3s4BKDrbucCr
Tech Name:Unreal Admin
Tech Organization:UnrealAdmin
Tech Street1:The Road
Tech Street2:The Town
Tech Street3:
Tech City:The City
Tech State/Province:County
Tech Postal Code:POSTCODE
Tech Country:GB
Tech Phone:+44.123456789
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:+44.123456789
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:
Name Server:NS3.MULTIPLAY.CO.UK
Name Server:NS0.MULTIPLAY.CO.UK
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
DNSSEC:Unsigned
AFAIK it's illegal in the UK to use such obvious fake info like "The Road" "The City", if you use anonymous info like that then you need something to trace the owner back to, in this case it's the nameservers.

Let's say I'm wrong, it may not be "owned" by them, but that's only technical talk. If a sponsor didn't like something they would put their foot down and in most cases they would do what the sponsor says rather than drop the sponsor
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

1) While you've had a server name of a specific name for a lengthy time, realistically you don't own the name.
2) Anybody can use any name they want, though I'm sure most go for original when they can.
3) This other person may not've known you had the name before him/her. It's an actual legendary place in the world.
4) Did you ask him about it, or did you get all up in his HUD with attitude? The latter would probably explain some things.
5) If he/she hadn't changed it you could've changed yours by tossing "the original" in there somewhere.
6) A lot of people that play UT don't have English as their first language so don't assume he/she was faking that.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I can assure you that this was no accident that the server was in the same location with the same name, same provider, same datacenter etc. The IPs were almost identical.

Some background info, the server was ranked number 10 on gametracker, and all the ones above have used fake players at some point or are tactical ops servers. People often told me it was the number one ranked deathmatch server outside of Europe

I did fail to mention in my above post that they could have been filling the void left when I took the server offline for a week and changed provider. That would not be a problem to me, but theres more to this. Their actions afterwards say that it's not so innocent, you can decide

The player was logged in as administrator with a white name on the scoreboard, and the only other player there was my interpretour who spoke both languages english and spanish.

I joined, using the same name I used to admin my own server, asked politely 'why I wasn't asked permission to use the El Dorado name' what I said cannot have different one word from that

Funnily enough the server name stealer thought he could pull the no english (but wth the interpretor i learn they don't speak a word of spanish, but did indeed speak english. My first post explains what happened next) The events that followed was 2 bans to me that remain to this day, and now the server text is in spanish which he no doubt found on the website listed in the admin url for my server, even used the instructions I'm sure. This is irony at it's greatest

The point of all this, if I were to name my server Multiplay DM 13, I would no doubt be harrassed in real life, multiplay would harass the server host or the isp enough that I, their customer would be contacted by them, and in my words, by doing so 'harassed in real life'.

Therefor, I reserve the right to send all cheaters caught on my server directly to their server as a result [of the server name theiving (playerbase) and banning my two ips and obviously without thought to remove them]. My only guess is they had some sort of vendetta against the server, whether it be banned or something else. My question to that is why they didn't try and prove their innocence or at least see what was had against them, the forums do actually serve a purpose. And doing all of these actions while remaining annonymous to avoid name and shame. Maybe if I do send cheaters over then there will be some justice. But I want to emphasise that this is because I see it as personal. Maybe they thought we were being personal first I don't know, but two wrongs do not make a right

All are welcome to give advice, I will probably just leave it, or have some fun with it. hehe