ACE and crosshair setup

Discussions about Servers
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

ACE and crosshair setup

Post by UTPe »

Hi,
I'm actually helping out the guys from TSF clan in building their new saCTF/iCTF server (IP 194.116.82.57:7777, Linux server v451)
All seems to be ok but unfortunately there's a problem with ACE v0.8g: some players reported that the well-famous "mutate ace crosshairscale" command does not work on this server while works fine on other ACE-protected servers. I wrote the command and it was recognized by the server but, oddly, this had no effect on my crosshair.
I re-checked ACE params but I was not able to find the error/problem:

[NPLoader_v16b.NPLActor]
bAutoInstallNewMods=True
bAutoFixInstalls=True
bUseNativeHelper=True
ModInfoClasses[0]=ACEv08g_S.ACEInfo

[ACEv08g_S.ACEActor]
InitialCheckLinger=5.000000
InitialCheckTimeout=70.000000
PeriodicCheckInterval=45.000000
PeriodicCheckTimeout=60.000000
SShotTimeOut=40.000000
bSShotWhenKick=True
SShotPath=../Shots/
SShotPrefix=[ACE]
SShotQuality=100
bAutoConfig=True
AutoConfigPackage=ACEv08_AutoConfig
bAutoUpdate=True
bExternalLog=True
LogPath=../Logs/
LogPrefix=[ACE]
bExternalLogJoins=True
JoinLogPath=../Logs/
JoinLogPrefix=[ACEPLAYERS]
AdminPass=
bAllowCrosshairScaling=True (this param is correct)
bShowLogo=True
LogoXPos=10
LogoYPos=100
ExcludedPorts=
bAutoFindWANIp=true
bCacheWANIp=true
WANQueryServer[0]="utgl.unrealadmin.org/ip.php"
ForcedWANIP=
UPackages[0]=
NativePackages[0]=

[ACEv08_AutoConfig.ACEAutoConfigActor]
UPackages[0]=

Have you ever experimented this problem, any ideas ?

regards,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: ACE and crosshair setup

Post by TheDane »

Are you aware if the server runs a custom HUD mutator that does not allow this crosshair scaling?

Also, ACEv8h is the most commonly used version is it not? Maybe it will work if switching to this version?
Retired.
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

TheDane wrote:Are you aware if the server runs a custom HUD mutator that does not allow this crosshair scaling?]
damn, you're right...these are the packages installed on server:

ServerActors=LogoSplashV3.SplashLogoSA
ServerActors=FlagAnnouncementsV2.FlagAnnouncements
ServerActors=SmartCTF_4E.SmartCTFServerActor
ServerActors=Nexgen111.NexgenActor
ServerActors=NexgenX111.NexgenX
ServerActors=ACEManager13.ACEM_Actor
ServerActors=NPLoader_v16b.NPLActor
ServerActors=ACEv08g_S.ACEActor
ServerActors=ACEv08g_EH.ACEEventActor

ServerPackages=MapVoteLAv2
ServerPackages=ZeroPingPlus103
ServerPackages=HideNPeek
ServerPackages=LogoSplashV3
ServerPackages=FlagAnnouncementsV2
ServerPackages=FlagAnnouncementsFix2
ServerPackages=SmartCTF_4E
ServerPackages=RextendedCTFv2-4
ServerPackages=NexgenCC
ServerPackages=Nexgen111
ServerPackages=NexgenX111
ServerPackages=NPLoader_v16b
ServerPackages=NPLoaderLLU_v16b
ServerPackages=NPLoaderLLD_v16b
ServerPackages=NPLoaderLLS_v16b
ServerPackages=ACEv08g_Cdll
ServerPackages=IACEv08c
ServerPackages=ACEv08g_C
ServerPackages=ACEManager13

can Nexgen o SmartCTF_4E be related to this problem ? :|

TheDane wrote:Also, ACEv8h is the most commonly used version is it not? Maybe it will work if switching to this version?
I installed that version first but after some problems (which I understood only after to be related to multihome param in server start command), I decided to install v0.8g.
Anyway players reported that the problem was already present with v0.8h...

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Nexgen should Work as an add-on HUD, so this shouldn't be causing it. However the smartCTF is a highly customized HUD and SB as far is I remember? It may very well be that the crosshair drawscale is hardcoded into it? Another thing that can go wrong is when extending the HUD class and not removing the globalconfig variables you will get errors like this, where the HUD colors, and things like that starts to become buggy when customized by clients. If you keep the globalconfig variables in your custom HUD then the changes may be saved incorrect (wrong package reference) into the clients user.ini file.

You can test it by temporary disable the SmartCTF mod and see if problem is gone? Other than that I don't see what it can be?
Retired.
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

TheDane wrote:Nexgen should Work as an add-on HUD, so this shouldn't be causing it. However the smartCTF is a highly customized HUD and SB as far is I remember? It may very well be that the crosshair drawscale is hardcoded into it? Another thing that can go wrong is when extending the HUD class and not removing the globalconfig variables you will get errors like this, where the HUD colors, and things like that starts to become buggy when customized by clients. If you keep the globalconfig variables in your custom HUD then the changes may be saved incorrect (wrong package reference) into the clients user.ini file.

You can test it by temporary disable the SmartCTF mod and see if problem is gone? Other than that I don't see what it can be?
the cause is not SmartCTF, it's NEXGEN :|
without Nexgen (and with SmartCTF installed), players are able to scale their crosshairs with "mutate ace crosshairscale x.x" command
now I've installed ATH server controller and all works fine anyway...

I could try to install the last version of Nexgen available (v1.12N ?) and verify if also this version still cause the problem
if so, ASC is the most logic solution :thuup:

thanks for your comments, hope this can help others in setting up their servers

regards,
Pietro

UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:I think players not use crosshairscale
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

medor wrote:I think players not use crosshairscale
yeah, I thought the same but it looks like there are still players doing it
the admin asked me to solve the problem and using ASC instead of Nexgen is not a problem for TSF, so...

UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Players can use 1337TimTim http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... TimTim.zip

UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I never knew it was a mutate command to change crosshair scaling, although, I've never seen a GUI for it either.

about those crosshairs, is default shifted slightly lower than a normal one? hmm wonder why it's white. I do know newnet makes it so you can't get headshots by shooting their shoulders any more
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

:loool: I guessed wrong then hehe ... well, there was a 50/50 chance :tu:

Nexgen is open source, so maybe someone will fix that bug? But then Again, I've always liked ASC over Nexgen - call me old school, but the interface seems to work better for me.
Retired.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:just two thing to remember

to play with no gap point you must hidden weapon
to play with no hidden weapon you have a patch http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... f=51&t=264
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

medor wrote:to play with no gap point you must hidden weapon
to play with no hidden weapon you have a patch http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... f=51&t=264
thanks for the infos Medor, I'll give it a try ! :)

UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I am sick of telling people to aim at shoulders. Or to walk up to a wall and shoot and watch where the bullet hole ends up. This is an overlooked bug

Not sure where the theory originated that hiding the weapon fixes it, it does help see more on the screen maybe I'm not looking hard enough

The white crosshairs is a nice work around but I think we can come up with something better than providing this option and the traditional shoulder aiming, I would advise weapon hidden, shoulder aiming and a crosshair you feel comfortable with. It's better to choose a green, red or blue one so you can see the target more clearly

Once again I request the help of someone with knowledge of another language: to come up with a batch converter code that extracts the crosshair textures, moves them down a few pixels, and re-creates the texture file. Fingers crossed
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I use magenta for my crosshair ...a color so unused in maps that you can clearly see the CH on every surface. ;)

@ billybill
I can't belief that there are still people out there who don't know how to aim properly in UT.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Well, I meant more clearly as in those RGB colors can be made transparent like the HUD, only you can make combinations as well like have all of one color dissapear completely.

People should know where the middle of the screen is and use the crosshair as a guide, a lot of people use a dot so the crosshair doesn't get in the way, for instance. I understand the point you are trying to make but those sliders were'nt put there to make Magenta crosshairs. I don't know why these white ones should've been changed from original RGB colors :noidea