Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Discussions about everything else
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Post by Dr.Flay »

I quite like the idea of half-time.
It is already a feature in some way, of the Assault mode.

It only breaks the game-play as much as respawning does.
It is arbitrary as to how long a match lasts, so equally arbitrary as to how long a half of that is, or if you have multiple rounds or waves.
It will be simply an option that server admin can have on or off, so if you don't like it, just go to a server that does not use it.
I see it as a non-issue, and no different to having low-grav available.

They are trying to put the "tournament" back into the Unreal, and this stage is full of trying new ideas.
the idea is not even agreed on within Epic, but they have agreed to try it first before making any decisions.
We won't know till we try.
Nobody knew Bombing run would turn into the massive success it was, but it forced more team dynamic and cooperation by mimicking a traditional game setup.
CTF and TDM, it could work in, but DM, DOM and KOTH would not work.
We'll see once they get something working, because if it breaks it they will notice easily.

When it comes to PC spec, don't let the current spec put you off.
During production it needs a lot of resources and a beefy PC, but the final product is intended to be scalable and will not require such power.
eg. the same engine can be used to make a flappy-bird clone for a mobile phone. but the phone will not run UEd.
They are being constantly nagged at to make it function on older PCs, and have said they want to make it as backwardly compatible as they can, so I imagine you will be able to use DX9 and reduced quality settings.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Sorry to say this, but I hope they don't compromise anything for old PCs. Sure it sucks if that includes you, but it's 2014 and a brand new engine for pete's sake! Time to get real.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Just to let people know, you can play the pre-alpha already compiled and ready to play. However you cannot change any options without UE4 licence

https://ut.rushbase.net/raxxy/Builds
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Carbon wrote:Sorry to say this, but I hope they don't compromise anything for old PCs. Sure it sucks if that includes you, but it's 2014 and a brand new engine for pete's sake! Time to get real.
Oh yes, totally. Nobody is asking them to hold back, we're just lamenting the good old days of the 5-minutes maps.
You must construct additional pylons.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Oh yes, totally. Nobody is asking them to hold back, we're just lamenting the good old days of the 5-minutes maps.
Sure, and I am with that idea as well. However, having played thousands of maps, I have to wonder if the 5-minute-map was all that great a philosophy in the first place! ;)

But seriously, I am not sure that ease of use for the tools correlates with required system specs. I think the comment was indeed asking Epic to make the system requirements either low or insanely flexible.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:My last post a couple back, if the link could be put in the first post in the thread that would be nice. Wises can vouch for credibility

Edit: crap, nevermind. Thought there was a UT4 thread with all the official links. Guess this is not it.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

what link? the one to a non existant torrent with no trackers or?

hows the Gobbies goin BTW? got word from the FT's that you're a pro now.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Carbon wrote:However, having played thousands of maps, I have to wonder if the 5-minute-map was all that great a philosophy in the first place! ;)
Of course it was that great. It was even more than that. You could take a couple of weeks and make an awesome looking map for UT or UT2, and have great games on levels that looked absolutely impressive, but you could also slap together a shitty but fun stuff for a quick game. Don't act like you never had hours of fun with strangers on public servers with 50-brushes maps. We all did.
You must construct additional pylons.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I can assure you with the amount of people trying it that it's a real URL with a real torrent. There are numerous mentions throughout the web, they even mentioned it on their stream. Might want to work on that sig of yours. Did you mean "F.T" the future terrestrials? I'm confused. And settle down mate, not thanks giving yet
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

It's really astonishing what this guys can do with light and shadows ... I'm inspired with awe by their art.
Those Maps will be visual masterpieces.

But in the same time I'm disappointed ...because all of it looks so generic and nothing looks like it could be fun to play in a fast game. Only the visuals count ...and that's not what makes UT a great game it's the fast paced FUN!!
Best negative example is UT3. Visuals beyond comprehensibility, but everything was missing the fun.

I can't blame the artists for their concepts ...that's how games work nowadays.
But I hoped secretly for a more fantastical approach with more insane ideas. :|
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Thankfully the main Epic devs are working with the old principals of clean design first.
[youtube]z8Nlz7XonCs[/youtube]
Don't worry too much about the beautiful but OTT concept art. Epic learned a lot from the failure of UT3 and they want to avoid the map and HUD clutter
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

UT2k4 was more visually appealing to me then UT3 lol..
well it had that POP aspect anyway.

UT3 put me off with its mist-tical look and 500ton movement dynamics

UT4 should be easy to build / make anything compared to earlier Engines
and by the looks of it. . waaay more powerful and feature ridden.

Modding will be a synch & mapping too :)

@kermet , you think because your hacker mates know how to compile something that we all should jump?

I'll just wait for something a little more official I think [FT]Gobbies and yes you know exactly what FT stands for.Danish knob polisher.
Last edited by Wises on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I don't think there's any disputing it. They mention over the first 20 minutes of the livestream that you can and should try it! And as I mentioned there are sites everywhere linking that exact page.

(Thanks for the video guys, I had no idea the stream went the full length (F U Twitch for the 20 minute VOD!))

But what exactly are you saying? If there are hacking files in the torrent you would be doing us all a favor by proving it, otherwise you are not doing your credibility any favors
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Carbon wrote:However, having played thousands of maps, I have to wonder if the 5-minute-map was all that great a philosophy in the first place! ;)
Of course it was that great. It was even more than that. You could take a couple of weeks and make an awesome looking map for UT or UT2, and have great games on levels that looked absolutely impressive, but you could also slap together a shitty but fun stuff for a quick game. Don't act like you never had hours of fun with strangers on public servers with 50-brushes maps. We all did.
In all honesty my friend, I (in my typically non-influenced state) did not. Regarding maps, I have always sought form married with function, believing that one is a natural property of the other in a map. A lover of the sublime, in whatever subjective sense that can be measured. That isn't to say I can't enjoy a 5 minute map - there are some inspired works that have come in a flash - but it is exponentially less likely, simply given the natural implications and limitations. To be clear, I am not talking about simplicity vs. complexity, which I believe is a separate discussion. I may be an odd duck, but while my favorite genre is the shooter, shooting isn't the main attraction.