Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Discussions about everything else
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament

Post by papercoffee »

What I love the most on UT is the customizability ...use your own skin and play with your own bots on your own maps with your own weapons. That's the strong point of UT ...and that's the reason why UT has such a great support from the community.
Keep it basic but customizable and let the community add the stuff.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Yeah I know 2003 introduced it, but it became a main part of 2004 because of it.
Exactly proves the point anyway. They saw the potential of the mod and it became part of the game.
Same thing happened with Chaos and UT GOTY.

BTW. I just noticed the Linux crowd are also getting excited
http://linuxgamenews.biz/2014/05/05/lin ... -comeback/
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Wises wrote: A sprint key... with exersion (100 meter dash) then normal.. with breathing lite/heavy..
No problem with most of what you said but that. Oh my god, please let it never happen, this is the opposite of what I want to see in an Unreal game. The simple existence of such a function in an Unreal game would absolutely deter me from it.
^ this could be a mod rather soz.. :tu:

* Thinking along the same Lines as Paper was saying.. 'Make Everything Configurable' but provide a stock outlay where of course modders take over.

* Would have to have Awesome Bot Support capable of flying/driving/operating crafts and gadgets.

* Being able to physically interact with everything inside the world would be Cool Az.

~ for example the Large Steel Containers on Deck.. imagine firing off some Rockets and it Dents the Crates or using the Sniper with Armour Piercing Bullets and literally Penetrating the Crates leaving not just Decals but actual Damage.. and if lucky or accurate enough killing the contents..

& We must admit that we all enjoyed using the Pulse to Graffiti Stuff..

~ or players falling into lava and the smoke rising up ... and effects for player_models falling into Acid Pools / and other types of machinery... ie; being pushed into a Mincer or something..etc

lol ... imagine using the Redeemer in the Deck and it blowing all the ramps out and physically blasting any all Crates/Containers all over the place... or being able to destroy portals ... or have a boiler-room with various pipes connected to it and.. when destroyed (pipes) some kinda poisonous Gas comes out and Damages Players etc.. << players could "Redeemer" the boiler-room into oblivion .. allowing for safe passage ..

This would introduce more Dynamics and Forced GamePlay... I think.

- just throwing ideas out there btw..
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I just want to say that a game only has any chance to last if it has progressive gameplay (levels, stats, getting items) or/and modding capabilities.
Without either of them, the game only lasts a little more than the period it's being advertised and over-hyped. It's been so historically so far, and it's going to continue to being so.
Being able to configure the game to your liking is not enough, specially since 95%+ of the playerbase won't do so.

A game aimed to just load up and play, without any of these elements, is not different from those flash games you play once or twice out of sheer boredom.
Triadx
Novice
Personal rank: Gold Farmer

Post by Triadx »

I remain skeptical...but only because I love UT99.
YouTube
Twitch.tv

- `Triad-X (Stephen)
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

I also have some mixed thoughts about this.

And... the Linux thing. Well, that might be nice either way.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Ferali so totally gets it.
The ideas and inspiration are already around us. It is the subtle things that make a game keep you coming back.
People tend to think WoW and RPG classes when they think about leveling up.

UT has always had a small amount of it with temporary abilities and pickups so make you invisible, stronger, faster, harder, more.
Stronger, faster, harder, more, is why UT is not Halo.

NW3 gives UT players progression with the monterhunt mode enabled, but it does not turn into a class-based RPG.
Each weapon has a slot for powerups. If you find a weapon with 3 slots, well you don't like to drop that one and it becomes your fave, and you invest time in upgrading it.
Certain pickups cannot be used with others, so you force classes on the weapons and situation.
Swap relic or Nali Weapon, and you are now a new class.

The UT2004RPG system follows a similar system as it uses the UT style, but remembers all your stats and powers between games.
It is linked to your Player name and CD key, so if you swap names, you work on a new character profile.
"Magic" is randomly applied to weapons. Some are given a random power, so it is like a relic built into the gun.
Swap gun, and swap relic. If you use Chaos UT, you can also use relics at the same time.
The longer you stay alive, the more magic weapons you have as you discard all the normal ones.
Kill someone loaded with magic weapons, can be quite a prize!
People that play this mutator are the only UT players that currently have a sustainable levelup system, and I would like to see something similar (perhaps less magic oriented tho. More tech-based)
Tobibrocki
Novice

Post by Tobibrocki »

Only a little over a day now, brace yourselves everyone, its probably a no brainer to keep expectations to a minimum to be on the safe side.

Apart from that though, I was thinking, what if they go the Quake Live route and make a "Browser" version of UT99 running on UE4 with all the engines benefits and a little bit of optional paid Premium content on the side? I doubt thats going to be it though, but if it is it really depends on what they're going to do exactly, using custom content (Maps, models, etc.) should be a must for example.
What do you guys think, would a free version of UT99 on UE4 necessarily be a bad thing?
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Stop whatever idea you think you are having now, and think this instead.

CTF and Domination across servers and more booby-traps :D
Tobibrocki
Novice

Post by Tobibrocki »

Actually, I'm more of a DM/TDM player, throw some of those in as well and we have a deal! :mrgreen: ;)

Not to derail the topic, but does anyone here know of a easy beginner level tutorial on how to import MilkShape 3D rigged models into UT99, I have started on one (gonna take a while though until thats anywhere near ready) and I wanna know what to do after I have rigged it to the skeleton that MS3D provides.
A PM with a few links would be highly appreciated! =3
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Tobibrocki wrote: Not to derail the topic, but does anyone here know of a easy beginner level tutorial on how to import MilkShape 3D rigged models into UT99, I have started on one (gonna take a while though until thats anywhere near ready) and I wanna know what to do after I have rigged it to the skeleton that MS3D provides.
A PM with a few links would be highly appreciated! =3
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=5210

Some Video Tutorials: http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Tutor ... ls-Weapon/
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...now is the day ...and I know I will miss this whole event... as always.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Don't you have a deadline that will keep you working through the night ?
Think of something...
333 logo needs a new... no that's not a nights work.
Umm. More coffee ?

Actually what time is it on in our area ? I haven't worked it out.
Tobibrocki
Novice

Post by Tobibrocki »

Thanks! =D

papercoffee wrote:Ok ...now is the day ...and I know I will miss this whole event... as always.
It seems like the UnrealEngine channel on Twitch records each "show" they do, so, if you try to avoid news sites and forums for a few hours you might be able to watch a recording of this on their Twitch account ( without being spoilered. If no recording should be available on there though then hopefully someone will record it and put it on YouTube, but it will probably be hard to avoid news until that has happened.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

I wonder how many streams it can handle for a channel ?

You can watch multiple streams with http://www.multitwitch.tv/unrealengine