The Terrain Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:You remember the pepper effect? It can all be done on the client, you won't even need sheets or anything. Just a 'SandStormZone' actor. Then you can go wild with what the player experiences.
Hmmmmm.... this sounds interesting, indeed.
A sandstorm zone ...deadly and projectiles are destroyed... Hmmmmm.
Where do I have to sign?
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

papercoffee wrote:
JackGriffin wrote:You remember the pepper effect? It can all be done on the client, you won't even need sheets or anything. Just a 'SandStormZone' actor. Then you can go wild with what the player experiences.
Hmmmmm.... this sounds interesting, indeed.
A sandstorm zone ...deadly and projectiles are destroyed... Hmmmmm.
Where do I have to sign?
A sandstorm zone? With a bit of tweaking and hacking I can do something easily...
I just done it for you! Does it work? I can't test because my PC will then overheat (according to data by Task Manager and HWiNFO)...
EDIT: It doesn't kill instantly but this is more realistic. :) Also I don't know how to destroy projectiles that enter it in 1 second :( Maybe with some UScript :)
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Nope it's not working... thanks for your effort, but I would like to wait what Jack will come up with. :wink:
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

papercoffee wrote:Nope it's not working... thanks for your effort, but I would like to wait what Jack will come up with. :wink:
What is not working? Damage? Can you edit it a little, maybe you might get better results?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:Nope it's not working... thanks for your effort, but I would like to wait what Jack will come up with. :wink:
Yeah... Godzilla rising outta that trench and roasting everyone in atomic flame would be so boss!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote:I just done it for you! Does it work? I can't test because my PC will then overheat (according to data by Task Manager and HWiNFO)...
Ok, first of all ...TEST YOUR OWN STUFF BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT when your own PC is not capable to run it how should it work for others???
Second... Name the u-file the same way like the actor. I searched 10 minutes for Requests in the actor browser.
Third... the whole actor didn't do anything at all ...tested it in a map and nothing happened.
EvilGrins wrote:
Yeah... Godzilla rising outta that trench and roasting everyone in atomic flame would be so boss!
You fight inside the trench ... No room for old atomic lizards.

Edit--------
made a typo.
Last edited by papercoffee on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

papercoffee wrote:
Gustavo6046 wrote:I just done it for you! Does it work? I can't test because my PC will then overheat (according to data by Task Manager and HWiNFO)...
Ok, first of all ...TEST YOUR OWN STUFF BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT when your own PC is not capable to run it how should it work for others???
Just because it overheats in my PC doesn't means it wouldn't work for others!
papercoffee wrote: Third... the whole actor didn't do anything at all ...tested it in a map and nothing happened.
I edited the actor's custom properties so that it is a PainZone with 30 damage per second and has a fog... but I will need someone else to test it. I updated it adding some script to add a lifespan to projectiles passing by it, but that's all! It probably won't work... but I wonder why it doesn't work? :/

Weapon of Destruction
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Gustavo6046 wrote:Just because it overheats in my PC doesn't means it wouldn't work for others!
It's not the map causing this, it's the game. If it overheats your PC, it means your computer is not powerful enough to run UT, which is impressive considering UT's age and the low settings it needs.
In any case, if you can't even test your map for whatever reason (and yours is not a good one), then you're not supposed to release it. You're supposed to have people test it for you, then improve your map with what they tell you until it's polished enough. Only then can you release it as final and use it as an entry for a contest.
Mappes with a lot of experience usually barely require testers because they can test it themselves (they know what to look for) and beta-testing only serves to fix some problems like obstacle in the flow, item placement, rarely a major change like a room's shape, etc.

Anyway, just test your map.
You must construct additional pylons.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Gustavo6046 wrote:Just because it overheats in my PC doesn't means it wouldn't work for others!
It's not the map causing this, it's the game. If it overheats your PC, it means your computer is not powerful enough to run UT, which is impressive considering UT's age and the low settings it needs.
In any case, if you can't even test your map for whatever reason (and yours is not a good one), then you're not supposed to release it. You're supposed to have people test it for you, then improve your map with what they tell you until it's polished enough. Only then can you release it as final and use it as an entry for a contest.
Mappes with a lot of experience usually barely require testers because they can test it themselves (they know what to look for) and beta-testing only serves to fix some problems like obstacle in the flow, item placement, rarely a major change like a room's shape, etc.

Anyway, just test your map.
The problem is not it's impressive 2.13ghz and 2GB RAM, but rather dust and (possibly) some broken fan laying somewhere...
So in any case, I wonder the testers that are outside there in UT99.org...

Weapon of Destruction
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Then clean your computer and test your map. You don't have to make this tedious for us and this will only make people angry.
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote: So in any case, I wonder the testers that are outside there in UT99.org...
:???: What testers?
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

papercoffee wrote:
Gustavo6046 wrote: So in any case, I wonder the testers that are outside there in UT99.org...
I just asked if there are :/

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote:
papercoffee wrote:
I just asked if there are :/
No ...this forum didn't hire any testers. :ironic:

The forum members decide on their own if they like to test something.
I tested your actor and it wasn't what I needed (because it was broken) ...I don't know if I want to test your next version of this actor. Try it for your self first ...take a fresh UT install (put it somewhere on a different hard-drive) and test your coded stuff there. That's how most coder work to be sure that their stuff can run on any client.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Gonna make my own edit to it, CTF-TrenchCoat, whooooo, alright, I'll leave...
Attachments
Sin título.jpg
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I'll continue this via email paper. I don't want to be associated with what's going on here. I tried to tell him.... <smh>
So long, and thanks for all the fish