Fire that hurts?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
frk
Novice

Fire that hurts?

Post by frk »

I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question, but I searched the board and didn't find anything about it...

How can i get a flame wich causes damage to player/bots? I tried with a simple "TorchFlame" but obviously it doesn't cause any damage. Do I have to create a "zone"? I hoped there was a flame type, between actors, with "Damagepersec" attribute in its properties...
Aspide
Skilled

Re: Fire that hurts?

Post by Aspide »

You have to use a Trigger and a SpecialEvent, first add the trigger where the flame is, make sure that the collision of the trigger is correct and connect the trigger with the special event, then go to properties of the special event and go to Object, go to IntialState and change it to DamageInstigator, then go to SpecialEvent and change the properties Damage and DamageType, make sure Damage isn't a low number otherwise you won't receive damage, also set DamageType to burned since that's UT99's damage type associated with fire.
Somewhere in Nevada...
frk
Novice

Post by frk »

Thank you very much, I'll check it out and, eventually, I'll update this topic :-)
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Also if the area is large enough you will need to set the 'Repeat Trigger Time' of the trigger to some number so that someone could not just sit in the radius of the trigger.   
Auto merged new post submitted 4 hours 59 minutes later
smeerkat wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:12 am
smeerkat, it is good to see you still around. Your videos are still helping new people coming to the editor.
UT99 DM-EchoCanyons:DM-WaterTreatment1565:DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike