Writing game modes - Where to start?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
fuzzy
Novice
Personal rank: plomb

Writing game modes - Where to start?

Post by fuzzy »

Hi,

I'm very new to UnrealScript and its API, but I am a quick learner. Where should I start for learning to make my own game mode? It's obviously not going to be an actor, since those are essentially game objects... What should I do?

Thanks,
- fuzzy
:D Join my server! :D
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Writing game modes - Where to start?

Post by Barbie »

I would not start with the game controller, that changes the whole game but better with a Mutator that adds or changes only small things in a game. As an example: recently I was asked for code that reduces a player's health when he injures a team mate. And his health reducement should be slightly higher than his damage to the team member.
Good luck!
---
Apart from that: coding in UScript is only one part - you have to know the object tree, what object does what and how they interact. And yes, changing the "game mode" means overwriting class'GameInfo' what is an Actor. :mrgreen:
"If Origin not in center it be not in center." --Buggie
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

What Barbie said.
Weapon mutators/mods are the things most people start tinker with in UScript.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

You can start by subclass existing mode, and change aspect of it. After few iterations it goes be completely new game mode.
Look of code in exists GameInfo classes, and try make changes in small steps.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Hi fuzzy,
hope it can help you someway, this is a doc called "Mod Authoring for Unreal Tournament" written by Brandon Reinhart which makes part of the original documentation available for Unreal Tournament released by Epic Games in 1999. I add also two other docs about UnrealScript language.

moreover, I point out this link: https://unrealarchive.org/unrealscript/

cheers,
Pietro
Attachments
UScript_Tutorial.pdf
(478.6 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
UScript Language Reference.pdf
(160.75 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Mod Authoring for Unreal Tournament.pdf
(111.88 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

This UScript Browser is more handy than on unrealarchive.org: https://madrixis.de/undox/classtree.html (but for v436 only...)
davidoriel
Personal rank: silver

Post by davidoriel »

fuzzy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:56 pm Hi,

I'm very new to UnrealScript and its API, but I am a quick learner. Where should I start for learning to make my own game mode? It's obviously not going to be an actor, since those are essentially game objects... What should I do?

Thanks,
- fuzzy

When it comes to exploring different writing game modes, the key is to start with what sparks your interest the most. Whether it's crafting immersive narratives, developing complex characters, or experimenting with unique storytelling techniques, finding your starting point can be both exciting and daunting. Personally, I find that diving into descriptive writing is a great way to unleash creativity and set the stage for engaging storytelling. Platforms like https://essaypro.com/descriptive-essay-writing-service offer excellent resources and guidance for honing your descriptive writing skills. With their descriptive essay writing service, you can learn to paint vivid pictures with words and bring your stories to life in ways you never thought possible.
Thanks for the information!