New Collaborative Mapping Event at UnrealSP.org!

Discussions about Events and Tournaments
SteadZ
Average
Personal rank: 1337

New Collaborative Mapping Event at UnrealSP.org!

Post by SteadZ »

Hello all!

We have just announced the start of "The Descent", which is a fun little collaborative Unreal single player mapping event taking place from now until 1st January 2021 over at UnrealSP.org.

The idea is that everybody makes a small map "segment" (play area of 4096^3) and then at the end all of the submissions are organised into a somewhat coherent storyline complemented by beginning and ending maps built by the "curator" (me :P).

While the final compiled pack will be for Unreal 227, we highly encourage people of all platforms to join in - so long as you don't use anything exclusive to UT (Botpack.u) it will all be fine!

Check out the thread including the full rules, storyline and more over here:
The Descent: An UnrealSP Collaborative Adventure!

At the end of the day we just want to get creative and have some fun :)

Cheers,
~SZ
"The problem with dreams is... you never know when you're gonna wake up"

Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Re: New Collaborative Mapping Event at UnrealSP.org!

Post by Delacroix »

I am questioning one rule, the MyLevel one.

I'd like you to consider amending it for textures.

MyLeveled textures are a problem when you want to replace them with high-res S3TC versions and I know AHaigh sees no problem in making S3TC variants of any texture package as long as he is kindly asked to do so.

Please, consider this.
SteadZ
Average

Post by SteadZ »

Hey Delacroix.

The reason for allowing MyLevel in the first place is so that people can feel free to add their own custom textures etc. to the map segment without the need for a bazillion different .utx files containing maybe 2-3 textures or trying to coordinate a single package that everyone adds their stuff to as the event goes along. The intention is that at the end, when the final pack is compiled, all of the MyLeveled textures will be merged into a single package *if possible*. I am pretty positive and hopeful that this will happen for the reasons you mention, but I hope you understand the reasoning for this method of doing things!

Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

SteadZ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:36 pmwhen the final pack is compiled, all of the MyLeveled textures will be merged into a single package *if possible*. I am pretty positive and hopeful that this will happen for the reasons you mention,
Ah, so you thought of it already. Thank you then.
SteadZ
Average

Post by SteadZ »

We have now reached the halfway mark on the event and have some very promising shots from some of the participants that you can view in the main thread across at UnrealSP.org (or alternatively follow the descent-collab channel in the UnrealSP Discord server!).

It's not too late to join in if you have the urge to create a short segment for our singleplayer collaboration, I have only just begun my segment myself but there's still 3 weeks until the deadline :D

~SZ

SteadZ
Average

Post by SteadZ »

Coming close to release now for this project (been a whole year now... jeez) and you can check out what it's about and some cheeky shots over on the ModDB page here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-descent- ... -adventure