[NEW] DM-[WcF]WarfareHouse][

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: [NEW] DM-[WcF]WarfareHouse][

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:58 pm
another 'absolutly' mandatory stuff, like a strong Translocator, removing of fall-damage and all sort of downloads... jeez...
Of course you need a strong translocator - what's wrong with that? That's what you use in sniper maps. You can avoid fall damage by not falling! The orientation of player starts in camping sniper maps is less important than in maps intended for run and gun, given that players will be looking first for a rifle and then for somewhere to camp rather than immediately 'attacking' opponents.

Quite why there is all this fuss about this map I have no idea - there are hundreds of unpathed sniper and other types of maps out there (all those IG league maps for example like that CTF-(IG)Falcon map) - it's not unusual and entirely legitimate. If not being pathed limits its use and its audience then that it is up to the mapper. It is devoid of sense to criticise a mapper for not doing something you think they should do when that something doesn't fit in with their intention in producing the map.

Obviously people can play the map in whatever way they want - the mapper has merely indicated his intention behind the map and why it is not pathed - it's not a rule. As I have said, I've happily played loads of unpathed sniper maps with bots and had great fun in so doing. Not having the map pathed is not an obstacle to playing the map with bots.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Map is beautiful no wonder but my reaction has coming from that reply which was said like this is the "How to Sniper-Mapping" and something deducted like I don't care if it does damage somewhere. This is selfish and then my response it's accordingly, found abrasive or not as "recommendations" delivered here.
Anyway this sort of stage is motivating me to ignore each topic when a sniper map is happily posted.
And no, at HoF, Evil took wheels of server after all his banning race, he was adding maps and I was facing logs and issues. And issues are coming exactly from these sort of sources encouraged with useless blabbering. You should read then 30 times what I said about Bots and what they do at Teleporters because THEY Have No Other Options. I was dumb because I deleted logs else I could spam 3 pages of crash-logging. Right now I see a lot of them coming from elsewhere - it's 451 "spirit".

CTF-(IG)Falcon - easy job for pathing, it was a bit more difficult removing HOM which was there but... I think it's good right now. That was another beautiful one but UnFinished for not using other terms to annoy fans. And redudant again all over. Pc asked about redeemer. Redeemer fired at a nearby wall = Self kill. What is for this rush for releasing map then ? Does it hurt a few clicks ? This is laziness.
Why smoke around this map ? Consider it a general reaction at these sort of works which reached to a limit. How much time do I need to laugh at stupid Teleporters and to say nothing ? Perhaps this topic will capture attention from others of those who think that camper maps are easy to do. They aren't and that's why ALL TIME are edited, this one it's included. I'm not groaning 100% around this map but the mostly around this sort of "needs" and what "camper" notion means and indicated. What if lifts are not having triggers ? Answering in reverse: What's going on if lifts have triggers ? And so on...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think he is getting at more-so when other servers download the map and starts messing things up. than anti bot pathing or pro bot pathing.

In my opinion ALL maps should be pathed, no matter what the mapper did to make it hard to path. It's a base part of UT, and deleting brushes is also bad to be selfish on the UT community.

But, if he runs it and it is his map, go for it, it's all good.
Binary Space Partitioning
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Red_Fist wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:04 pm I think he is getting at more-so when other servers download the map and starts messing things up.
Yes, I understand, but then there are many options. One could just ignore it, not download it, and stick with maps that work on the server. Or if you want to put it online really bad, and you know how to "fix" your complaints, go ahead (well, ask permission from the author first, of course), edit it to your liking, add paths and whatever. And yes, you can suggest ideas and fixes, that's part of what this forum is for, I think. But then don't start calling people dumb, that is never a good thing. :facepalm: And we shouldn't discourage people from contributing and improving the game, it's the last thing we want, it is almost a miracle that people are still mapping and updating for this 20+ year old game. We must not slam that door shut and crush their efforts.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It would be priceless to see these people testing their maps in their own servers first before damaging things in public.
Too bad that things are taken in the wrong meaning. I don't say to not make maps, I'm saying FINISH maps and then release them, and not only this map, all maps. Demanding things 'absolutly' is the BAD practice and not releasing a map before being well tested. And... original UT will never use 19 PlayerStart actors, tests are showing this, exactly TESTS, TESTS and again TESTS. I can demonstrate this by doing a map and marking walls around PlayerStarts, you can figure where you will never spawn. This is less important in a XC server, there all are used - this is not a rant, it's an information.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:04 pmIn my opinion ALL maps should be pathed, no matter what the mapper did to make it hard to path.
Take for example MH-Ziki: to reach the 3rd floor, you have to enter the lift on ground floor, exit it one floor above at 2nd floor, activate it again that it goes down, go into the lift opening, press the button that the lift comes up again and jump on the top of the lift to reach the 3rd floor.

Good luck with bot pathing. :lol:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:27 pm Take for example MH-Ziki: to reach the 3rd floor, you have to enter the lift on ground floor, exit it one floor above at 2nd floor, activate it again that it goes down, go into the lift opening, press the button that the lift comes up again and jump on the top of the lift to reach the 3rd floor.

I don't pay money for teleporters :sleep: . Either way I wrote some SpecialHandling in Tarmation2 perhaps I can do something here too but... I don't play MH-Ziki and neither have more intentions for this map. The magic word forgotten here is "PORTING" map to Bot version out of stuff which is annoying even for player.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 pm Too bad that things are taken in the wrong meaning. I don't say to not make maps, I'm saying FINISH maps and then release them, and not only this map, all maps.
Perhaps you can indicate in what way(s) this map isn't finished so that it can be played by Players (that is, humans)? I've played it OK and I'm a human (you'll have to take my word on that, this being the internet where not everything is what it appears to be :P ).
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:00 pmPerhaps you can indicate in what way(s) this map isn't finished so that it can be played by Players
Needs dinosaurs, and giant space lasers, and terminators... and a puppy.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Barbie wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:27 pm
Red_Fist wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:04 pmIn my opinion ALL maps should be pathed, no matter what the mapper did to make it hard to path.
Take for example MH-Ziki: to reach the 3rd floor, you have to enter the lift on ground floor, exit it one floor above at 2nd floor, activate it again that it goes down, go into the lift opening, press the button that the lift comes up again and jump on the top of the lift to reach the 3rd floor.

No problem man :P , my first thought is to use a property flipper to lifespan already used trigger to ,,gone-0, then the lift back up, it could only hit the next relevant trigger-lift exit.

10 minute job, :mrgreen:

""Needs dinosaurs, and giant space lasers, and terminators... and a puppy.""

LoLzzzz, face it, they hate bots. :lol2:
Binary Space Partitioning
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 am
OjitroC wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:00 pmPerhaps you can indicate in what way(s) this map isn't finished so that it can be played by Players
Needs dinosaurs, and giant space lasers, and terminators... and a puppy.
Man, I will totally play that map, yes!!! :tu: :lol2:
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Wow! Very nice map.

That's one of the best "kitchens" I've ever seen. Even better than the one we have at home.

Sixteen UTX files? Was this map completed over a long period of time, cause I've never seen that many texture packages in a single map before.

Like the way the skybox was done too.

Also just finished playing "NiX's Priory 20th UT Anniversary".

https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... cd1dd.html

Very nice. I like the drone.

I like the stacks of C-notes on the coffee table too.

Good work NiX. :tu:
Lunic
Average
Personal rank: The Best One

Post by Lunic »

Why criticise a map intended for camping sniping to be played by Players online for not having having botpaths - there's no point in trying to path a map which is intended to be played only by humans. If you path a camping sniper map so it can be played with bots it ceases to be a camping sniper map.

Of course a translocator is mandatory in a sniper map - that's how you move around! That the lifts don't come back up means you have to use the translocator to move elsewhere should you wish to move.

So yes, there is a reason things are "very restrictive" - it's a camping sniper map.
Seems like this is the only guy who understand how camping games work. thats one fucking true comment finaly.
My maps are created for SNiper camping ladders, team vs team rumble games. most of the camping servers got no run mod anyway so bots would die after 15 meter run.
Last edited by Lunic on Fri May 14, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Well, I am definitely not going to quote that last post. Just want to say...NIX you are a very good and talented mapper. Please do not ruin that with bad language and group flaming. :| Or whatever...just some advice, man. Everyone is free to take it or leave it.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TankBeef wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:46 pm .. Please do not ruin that with bad language and group flaming. :|
I agree with that, though I do understand the annoyance and frustration that this senseless discussion would cause (though that is no justification for the attack/language).

Let's hope that NiX continues to post his maps here :tu: